Another Combat "problem"

TracidTracid Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21903Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">about focus and armor lvl 1</div> ok so since, now focus costs 2 levels it really makes it less overpowered than in beta 3 and earlyer, altought now, ther's a probleme, : focus ain't much used, because to decrease its power rines just have to get amor lvl 1 that is not a problem or a choice, since amor lvl 1 is a need to get JP/HA so aliens just wastes 2 point in focus, makes 7 frags with it MAX before all marines get armor lvl 1 or more, and then it become totally useless...

i mean, any of the upgrade in alien as its use, such as celerety, wich is for me the best one, silence , scent of fear(2nd best one)

so focus is a waste of point because the time u make to save 2 points for it, the rines already have SG and are ready for armor lvl 1, or as me get armor lvl 1 at first upgrade....

what i think is that armor should either costs 2 point to get to lvl 2 , but no lvl 1 armor it directly pass from 0 to 2 for 2 points,

either JP/HA gets unchained from armor lvls

Comments

• SlayerPLSlayerPL Join Date: 2004-07-01 Member: 29660Members
    omg stop worrying about focus better than armor -armor better than focus. use a lerk with focus- gg for rines with a skillful lerk.

all is all right with the upgs tbh,
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Focus is still worth getting. Armor 1 does NOT need 2 points.
  • rennexrennex Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2688Members
    You need focus to take down a jetpacker that knows what he's doing, since he undoubtedly has resupply.
  • illhillh Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31104Members
    what the... how is focus underpowered? any light armor marine will die in 2 focus hits regardless of whether he had gotten medpacks, the only way for a marine to withstand more is if he had someone weld him. Skulks aren't meant to be heavy duty attacking units, they hit and run imo and focus helps to do that task. Learn how to take advantage of focus more before you call it useless.
  • RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-rennex+Sep 10 2004, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (rennex @ Sep 10 2004, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You need focus to take down a jetpacker that knows what he's doing, since he undoubtedly has resupply. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pretend like I'm repeating this over and over.
  • keep_it_Gangstakeep_it_Gangsta Join Date: 2003-06-23 Member: 17632Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-rennex+Sep 10 2004, 08:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (rennex @ Sep 10 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You need focus to take down a jetpacker that knows what he's doing, since he undoubtedly has resupply. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    word
  • SlayerPLSlayerPL Join Date: 2004-07-01 Member: 29660Members
    omg he bit me1!!11 i wont stand a chance vs a focus skulk!! i have to let him bite me again for me to die!!

Ffs get a sg, and kill the bi*ch before he bits you. works for me lmao.
  • TracidTracid Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21903Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ahnteis+Sep 10 2004, 01:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ahnteis @ Sep 10 2004, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Focus is still worth getting. Armor 1 does NOT need 2 points. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    read before posting ffs i said 2 points for armor lvl 2 , but no way to get armor lvl 1, you directly take armor lvl 2.... for 2 points
  • semipsychoticsemipsychotic Join Date: 2003-07-09 Member: 18061Members
    I can't attest to this with solid facts, but I CAN say that I almost always take focus. Wait a second. I ALWAYS take focus.

Well, I can also attest to this with semi-solid factoids. Consider the fact that it will still only take 2 bites to kill an Armor3 marine, while it takes 4 hits without focus. Consider knockback; even slight knockback can give the marine a good chance. The less bites you need to put on the marine, the less chance he has for a lucky knockback angle.

Plus, I've never taken out a jetpack-resupply marine without focus. And I've taken out TONS of them with a focus-lerk combo.
  • NGENGE Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22443Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-semi-psychotic+Sep 11 2004, 12:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (semi-psychotic @ Sep 11 2004, 12:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can't attest to this with solid facts, but I CAN say that I almost always take focus. Wait a second. I ALWAYS take focus.

Well, I can also attest to this with semi-solid factoids. Consider the fact that it will still only take 2 bites to kill an Armor3 marine, while it takes 4 hits without focus. Consider knockback; even slight knockback can give the marine a good chance. The less bites you need to put on the marine, the less chance he has for a lucky knockback angle.

Plus, I've never taken out a jetpack-resupply marine without focus. And I've taken out TONS of them with a focus-lerk combo. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well actually armor 3 vs skulks and weaker <i>can</i> give you 3 bites. If you take a focus bite and get a medpack, and have armor 3 you'll live through another. Fades or stronger, though, and you're toast, or some light sporeing will do in your 3rd bite as well.
  • RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    Armor1 > Focus.

Math:
    Takes two UnFocused bites (assume each takes one second) to kill a Marine with Armor0.

Takes two Focused bites (assume each takes two seconds) to kill a Marine with Armor1.

1x2 = 2.
    2x2 = 4.

Wow!!1111eight
    It takes twice as long to kill a marine using Focus when he gets Armor1, because you can't make a Focused bite then switched to UnFocused.

armorone4teh_win
  • MaianMaian Join Date: 2003-02-27 Member: 14069Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    *ahem* acid spores + focus. 'nuff said.
  • Pepe_MuffassaPepe_Muffassa Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12401Members
    edited September 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rushakra+Sep 12 2004, 09:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Rushakra @ Sep 12 2004, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Armor1 > Focus.

Math:
    Takes two UnFocused bites (assume each takes one second) to kill a Marine with Armor0.

Takes two Focused bites (assume each takes two seconds) to kill a Marine with Armor1.

1x2 = 2.
    2x2 = 4.

Wow!!1111eight
    It takes twice as long to kill a marine using Focus when he gets Armor1, because you can't make a Focused bite then switched to UnFocused.

armorone4teh_win <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    actually, your wrong. It takes the same amount of time to kill an armor 1 marine with and without focus (assuming all bites land).

look at it this way - Time and Damage.

_ _ _ _ ---Time
    1 2 3 ---non focused bites, marine dies on bite 3 in time slot 3
    1 . 2 ---Focused bites, marine dies in bite 2 in time slot 3

However, add armor 2 and you have a different story

_ _ _ _ ---Time
    1 2 3 4 ---non focused bites, marine dies on bite 4 in time slot 4
    1 . 2 ---Focused bites, marine dies on bite 2 in time slot 3.

So, assuming that every marine will eventually get armor 2, Focus remains a worth while upgrade.

/edited to try to make it clearer.
  • RyoOhkiRyoOhki Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12789Members
    Sounds like you need to play a few rounds with Ryo "Spore-Spam" Ohki. Sure I hardly get any kills, but what do I care? I'm softening up those nasty marines for my team-mates. Resupply all you will marines; you'll still be sitting on 100 hp 0 armour whilst my skulk comrades focus-bite you.

Btw, how much does primal scream boost focus damage?
  • T_AliT_Ali Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7315Members
    Ryo has it right. With 2 levels a SINGLE alien who knows what he's doing can weaken to nullify armor ups for MOST to ALL of the marine team by lerking and sporing correctly. Do the math on that one.