Sata Help

antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods! Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Please.....</div> Ok today i got myself a brand spanking new Motherboard (Asus A7V880) and a new Maxtor 120GB Sata Hard Drive. Anyways, i got the pc all put together and was happy. Powered it up, set the bious up as best as i know how till i look at some tweaking articles, and put in my windows 2000 disk. The pc continues to load, a thing flashes up on the screen saying "Detecting Sata Drives" and it then displays:

Sata0 = Maxtor <Model Number>
Sata1 = None

So i think no problem it's working. Windows 2000 CD boots, get to the section about where i would like to install and it doesn't display m Sata drive as an option, so i cannot install windows.

Any help?

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I've never installed win2000 but I thought it had the same request for 3rd party drivers prior to installation (F6 in XP). Did you see this screen and did you load the drivers for the new drive?
  • TheWizardTheWizard Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10553Members, Constellation
    Could it be that you did not install win2k with ACPI support (that may be necessary with SATA)

As was mentioned you will need to press f6 during the install. Unfortunately ACPI support is built into windows during install and cannot be added later.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Yeah, I'm assuming it's similar to XP and you're going to have to be nice and speedy with that F6 to load the drivers.
    edited September 2004
    I just remembered a more simple solution.

Have you <b>partitioned</b> and formatted the drive?

If no your MB will detect it but windows will not be able to install on it.
  • antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods&#33; Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
    edited September 2004
    No, i didnt get that screen. There is only one drive in the macine at the moment and thats the SATA drive. It is totally blank OEM drive with no drivers. So i havn't got to the point of installing windows, only having the windows 2000 Pro Boot CD in the drive and going through the process of setting up and it asks where i would like to install it.... with no drives listed.

Edit: Ok just looked on the maxtor site, it's apparently supposed to have shipped with MaxBlast CD, it didn't so im getting an iso from the site now. See what happens then.
  • Gay_Parrot_of_DoomGay_Parrot_of_Doom Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8002Members
    When installing your OS, there is an option (F6 I think) for installing 3rd party RAID driver support or something along those lines. It should appear at the bottom while the blue screen is loading, on the first disc.

You need to have a floppy (A CDROM WILL NOT WORK) containing these drivers, which windows will later use to begin installing your OS.

I have an Asus A7N8X deluxe, I had to use this process. I can't remember the name of the drivers, sireal or something?

Remember, you must, MUST have these drivers on a floppy. You cannot install them from any other source.
  • Gay_Parrot_of_DoomGay_Parrot_of_Doom Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8002Members
    Right, I found the file. I think this is it (Its from my HD, on my webspace)

<a href='http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/random%20crap/silicon_v10022.zip' target='_blank'>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/ra...icon_v10022.zip</a>

Unzip that onto a floppy, hit F6 during windows install, and <b>providing those drivers are compatible with your MB</b>, everything will work fine.

You may get windows installing to drive E: or something daft, don't worry about it, everything will still work ok.
    I still say make sure its partitioned.
    You can't partition the drive until you show windows those drivers.
  • ZelZel Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12861Members
    windows will partition it, so dont worry about that.

but you do need that driver floppy full of the SATA drivers for your motherboard. maxtor cannot supply this, it is on the motherboard cd under the folder drivers/whatever the chipset is for your sata raid controller. asus puts a couple different chipsets in there, but during the boot screen wher eyous aw bios recognize the driver it should say what the chipset is that controls that harddrive. make the appropriate floppy and do the f6 thing.

its f6 under XP, may be something else under 2k, but in order for the windows installer (which is hella older than the sata specification) to know about the drive it has to have that driver floppy.

anyone who has installed windows to sata will know this, because he/she has been through it.
  • antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods&#33; Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Tom[SHOTTEH]+Sep 8 2004, 10:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Tom[SHOTTEH] @ Sep 8 2004, 10:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Right, I found the file. I think this is it (Its from my HD, on my webspace)

<a href='http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/random%20crap/silicon_v10022.zip' target='_blank'>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/ra...icon_v10022.zip</a>

Unzip that onto a floppy, hit F6 during windows install, and <b>providing those drivers are compatible with your MB</b>, everything will work fine.

You may get windows installing to drive E: or something daft, don't worry about it, everything will still work ok. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still no joy, even though it loaded the drivers. Im guessing they are just not compatible.

From Asus:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The ASUS A7V880, supporting VIA KT880/VT8237 chipsets <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Zel+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zel)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->motherboard cd under the folder drivers/whatever the chipset is for your sata raid controller<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It had drivers, but it didn't contain TxtSetup.oem so the windows installer just told me there was no driver information on the disk.
    OMGWTHBBQ. I eventually found the drivers on the cd in some stupid directory, but the makedisk.xe wasn't working. So i stuffed them on the disk as they were and they worked fine. Windows is now installing, thanks to everyone, and unless something serious happens seems to be sorted.

Thanks To Everyone....
    <a href='http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V880&Type=Latest&SLanguage=en-us' target='_blank'>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/it...SLanguage=en-us</a>

Filename - VIARAID.zip

Unzip it to a floppy, it should work fine with that one.