Ns: A Bunch Of Little Things

semipsychoticsemipsychotic Join Date: 2003-07-09 Member: 18061Members
edited June 2004 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">would make things easier</div> Here we go.

Marine installation attacks.

Problem: you all have been under a commander that failed to report a hive location being taken down. Normally, it's a marine at base who suddenly watches the phase link disappear and the phase fall idle, at which point the marines scream, "WHAT THE HECK?! COMMANDER!! EJECT!".

Solution: minimap markers. I've seen in the bugtracker, and the devs commenting on how the warning sounds would annoy people if spammed too often. How about, beginning with the start of the attack and ending when there has been no attack on the location for 5 seconds, a little red-white flashing dot is placed on the commander's minimap. It would be very noticable, easier to keep track of multiple resource nozzles being attacked, and not annoying.

"I need a weld!"

Problem: I've fallen victim, numerous times, screaming, "Weld me! Hey, Mr.Fuzzy, can you weld me?" only to get killed by the next skulk to waltz on by. I'm sure you have too.

Solution: Part of this can go through the commander too. When somebody dons a suit of heavy armor, maybe an outer health ring measuring armor is marked for the commander. Also, when player names show up on-screen for regular soldiers (you know, when you paint them with your crosshair and their health and armor show up), possibly add red percentage text for armor below 100 or so. This may catch the eye of nearby troops.

"Help! Marines spotted!" ... "Where are you?"

Problem: Alien hivesight could use a few tweaks. I think the devs are considering adding cues for certain new grunts (like marine radio: need healing, need backup), which may help, but there's still some more that could be done.

Solution: Several ideas. First, cut out that weird hivesight range limit. A lot of times, resource nozzles are under attack, and I have to ask on voicecomms which tower it is, because they're to far away and I can't see the hivesight blip (maybe this is just a problem with me, is there any way to fix it?). Also, show the voicecomms icon above hivesight blips if the alien is on voice comms, if possible. That would help instant location of aliens taking fire. And maybe, just maybe, hivesight on the minimap. However, this sounds like an idea that would have been implemented a while ago.

Thanks for listening!

Comments

• Pepe_MuffassaPepe_Muffassa Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12401Members
    I totally agree with this - especially the alien hivesight stuff.

I think that hivesight on the minimap should be implemented. I think that when an alien runs into a populated area, everything he sees should show up on the minimap (not just what he bites). Then wehn he leaves, the stuff that is parasited should remain (allows aliens to parasite electrified res nodes for higher lifeforms to find easier). That way an alien could parasite every structure there, and anyone on the alien team would have to hit their minimap key to see what they are up against - instead of exploring it themselves. It would really add to the feel of being an alien.
  • MarineAnimalMarineAnimal Join Date: 2004-05-14 Member: 28676Members
    How about seeing enemies on the hivesight, when other aliens are seeing them? Wasn't this in the game before? (like they show up SOF style)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reload animations would also be nice for the weld problem, since often times that guy won't weld you because he's reloading his HMG but to you he's just standing there.
  • altairianaltairian Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17459Members
    I wish they would get rid of names on hivesight... I can't stand it when I'm trying to see something and I have to look directly at a hivesight blip so the person's name is obscuring my view =\
  • MrChainsawMrChainsaw Join Date: 2004-04-07 Member: 27786Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Solution: Several ideas. First, cut out that weird hivesight range limit.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->How about only for buildings under attack? I don't think anybody needs to stare at a WHOLE map of blips, that could be distracting.

I also wish hivesight had a toggle or something to turn it off temporarily, marines could have it too for waypoints(which have killed me 10 times more than hivesight).
  • semipsychoticsemipsychotic Join Date: 2003-07-09 Member: 18061Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How about only for buildings under attack? I don't think anybody needs to stare at a WHOLE map of blips, that could be distracting.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That, and maybe gorges. You're right, you don't need to see the entire blip forest, but at the same time there are blips that need to be seen.