Audioscrobbler

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
edited October 2004 in Off-Topic
Do you audioscrobbler?
Empirical evidence would suggest that people on these forums like to see what other people on these forums are listening to. People on this forum also like to tell other people on this forum what they are listening to. I propose a solution once and for all.

Audioscrobbler!

Audioscrobbler is a free online service that builds a profile of your musical taste using a plugin for your media player (Winamp, iTunes, XMMS etc..). Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server, which updates your musical profile with the new song. Every person with a plugin has their own page on the site which shows their listening statistics. The system automatically matches you to people with a similar music taste, and generates personalised recommendations.

If you are already using audioscrobbler, post a link to your user page. If you aren't, then Sign up!

The current list:
1337vegeta
Caboose
camO.o
Cartman2b^
Chrono5788
Duff-Man
esuna
Fam
Invazn
Jim has Skillz
MedHead
moultano
Necrotic
Red Wizard
RuBy
Skidzor
Steel Troll
Stewie
Testament
Zyndrome

Natural Selection Forums group:
Join in!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members Posts: 4,646
    edited June 2004
    [edit] I are dumb and don't read things all the way through
    user posted image

YOU GO NOW!
    ^deader than a doornail^

Your mouth=pwned
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members Posts: 10,081
    I was going to add it to the CLT, but they're not accepting any new accounts at the moment. Thus I have the WinAMP Plugin for nothing.
    QUOTE (Thansal @ Oct 14 2007, 12:14 PM) »
    I am with Them and Liku (who is fun to pwn with a baseball bat).
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members Posts: 2,543
    hmmm.... my player isn't in the list...
    1.04ever
  • twoflowtwoflow Singing Drunk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1950Members, Constellation Posts: 1,867
    But cool kids have song names in their signature to begin with!
    Display Stand — "You can put anything you like here, except naughty things."
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE (SkulkBait @ Jun 20 2004, 03:35 PM)

what do you use?
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members Posts: 2,543
    QUOTE (moultano @ Jun 20 2004, 03:54 PM)
    QUOTE (SkulkBait @ Jun 20 2004, 03:35 PM)

what do you use?

Zinf.
    1.04ever
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet! Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members Posts: 5,701
    no sonique 2 = no go.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members Posts: 3,104
    So it will match with people with similiar musical and give me recommendation to thins I havent listened to but probably will like? Sounds nice smile.gif
    I saw a radscorpion the other day.
  • jumpingjodajumpingjoda Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24367Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,415
    I don't need a statistic to know what i like to listen ....
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members Posts: 10,081
    QUOTE (jumpingjoda @ Jun 20 2004, 02:34 PM)
    I don't need a statistic to know what i like to listen ....

It doesn't tell you what you like to listen to, it tells others.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members Posts: 3,614
    And its interesting to run searches on what CDs you listen to, just to see how uncool you are!
    IPB Image
    QUOTE(Gwahir)
    Mantrid, you truly scare me sometimes.

0x09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0
  • jumpingjodajumpingjoda Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24367Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,415
    It's cooler to listen to my CD's then to mp3z .... heh Mantrid biggrin.gif jk

So yeah my god, i can't sleep 'till i know all the songs you listen to... F4 F4 !!!11
    QUOTE (jumpingjoda @ Jun 20 2004, 02:49 PM)
    It's cooler to listen to my CD's then to mp3z ....

It's cooler to listen to my .mp3 CD's.
    So yeah my god, i can't sleep 'till i know all the songs you listen to... F4 F4 !!!11

No... more like, "This guy listens to some pretty good tracks, maybe he'd be cool to talk to."
    My .ogg flies are teh 1337 tounge.gif

And musik is not my favorite way to rate if a person is interesting or not... But meh nerd.gif
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members Posts: 7,019
    I would rather not see statistics on how bad my taste in music is, and better yet, I would rather YOU not see.
    O_O image
    QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Jun 20 2004, 11:24 PM)
    I would rather not see statistics on how bad my taste in music is, and better yet, I would rather YOU not see.

Me don't understand...
    Me dumb?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    I thought this would be useful for all the people out there who want to find new music. instead of asking the forum about it, they can see what people on the forum listen to directly. They can also see who else out there has similar musical taste, and then see what else they listen to.
    New signups are now available! OG OG OG!!!

If you sign up, be sure to post your profile here so that we can all see what you like. I'll keep an updated list with everyone's forum name in the first post.
  • NecroticNecrotic Big Girl's Blouse Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 53Members, NS1 Playtester Posts: 1,442
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/OmgHodge/

Slowest. Webiste. Ever. But I guess the bandwidth usage is utterly mental.
    IPB Image
    Snidely - I have to wonder, though, why anyone would want to nick some cow testes.
    "The supersoldier is almost ready. We just need to slap some more bovine genitals on him, and we're good to go."
    QUOTE (Necrotic @ Aug 3 2004, 03:23 PM)
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/OmgHodge/

Slowest. Webiste. Ever. But I guess the bandwidth usage is utterly mental.

Its a little zippier now. There was an article about the site on wired that was slowing things down quite a bit a la "the slashdot effect." you've been added to the list. Keep em coming people! smile.gif
  • DubbilexDubbilex Chump Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9799Members Posts: 2,017 Advanced user
    For those of us who are willing to deal with a pop-up player, last.FM is an excellent alternative. It's basically the same thing.
    what
  • CartiCarti Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18099Members, Constellation Posts: 504 Fully active user
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Cartman2b/

Nice little website. I've just formatted so my playlist is very limited :[
    edited August 2004
    Funny story about audioscrobbler.
    My roommate and **** at eachother all the time about musical taste. He hates bluegrass, blues, and country, and I hate modest mouse. We've gotten into a few arguments about this, and thankfully we both have good headphones. For several months, my roommate was listed as the closest person to me in musical taste out of the entire audioscrobbler network.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members Posts: 4,521
    QUOTE (moultano @ Aug 4 2004, 03:16 PM)
    My roommate and **** at eachother all the time about musical taste. He hates bluegrass, blues, and country, and I hate modest mouse. We've gotten into a few arguments about this, and thankfully we both have good headphones. For several months, my roommate was listed as the closest person to me in musical taste out of the entire audioscrobbler network.

pretty funny =P also, I should be both of your roommates, because I like bluegrass, blues, and modest mouse... but not so much country, unless the allman brothers and sheryl crow count

as for the service, I'm not bothering with it... I like LaunchCast and I'm sticking with it. started a thread about it a few months ago. it learns your taste in music, you can feed off of others' tastes in music and they can feed off of yours, and everyone can see how everyone else rates everything, but it doesn't work off of MP3s. it's creating your own internet radio station, the music is streamed right to you, and you can rate things badly and skip em at will (but after a couple days you probably won't need to, it learns your taste pretty amazingly)...
    just noticed that MedHead has an audioscrobbler profile, so I added him to the list.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6146Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 412
    So you can't just send in a playlist and get recommendations? You have to download a plugin and play songs?
    your != you're
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation Posts: 2,730
    edited August 2004
    Yes. To the second part.
  • Jim_has_SkillzJim_has_Skillz Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12475Members, Constellation Posts: 885
    QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Aug 4 2004, 09:07 PM)
    QUOTE (moultano @ Aug 4 2004, 03:16 PM)

pretty funny =P also, I should be both of your roommates, because I like bluegrass, blues, and modest mouse... but not so much country, unless the allman brothers and sheryl crow count

as for the service, I'm not bothering with it... I like LaunchCast and I'm sticking with it. started a thread about it a few months ago. it learns your taste in music, you can feed off of others' tastes in music and they can feed off of yours, and everyone can see how everyone else rates everything, but it doesn't work off of MP3s. it's creating your own internet radio station, the music is streamed right to you, and you can rate things badly and skip em at will (but after a couple days you probably won't need to, it learns your taste pretty amazingly)...

Umm yeah that can get addicting though. My friend across the hall would spend days watching music videos and rating them, doing nothing else, even performing the necessary bodily functions. But this is a little different then Launch in the fact that this will show you NEW music, not the same crap they play on the radio over and over.

Oh yeah I am signed up you can add me!

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/JimhasSkillz/
    -- Founder of #findnspug (on gamesurge.net) --> Moved to #nspug(on gamesurge.net)
    Come by for a PUG (Pick-Up Game)
    #findnsscrim Admin(on gamesurge.net)

Constie!! Yayz0r!
  • InvaznInvazn Join Date: 2004-03-04 Member: 27142Members Posts: 466
    Now i must buy the reccommendations.
    user posted image
    <[TN]FBMachine> i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section
    Jim has Skillz has been added.
    Now i must buy the reccommendations.

There isn't anything you have to buy on the site. You can donate if you want to, but to get reccomendations you just have to have listened to 100 songs with the plugin installed. Otherwise they can't generate anything accurately.