Cat's Cradle

douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 3,509
amazing
i just finished this book about 5 minutes ago, and i must say it is simply amazing. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, i advise everyone to read it.
the artist formerly known as 6john
and
the artist currently known as d*uchebagatron

Comments

• TequilaTequila Join Date: 2003-08-13 Member: 19660Members Posts: 3,022
    Details wouldn't hurt.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members Posts: 7,019
    I assume you are talking about a book...

Maby it would be nice if you told us a bit about it or something, so we don't have to randomly guess biggrin.gif
    O_O image
  • TequilaTequila Join Date: 2003-08-13 Member: 19660Members Posts: 3,022
    QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Jun 2 2004, 03:19 AM)
    I assume you are talking about a book...

Maby it would be nice if you told us a bit about it or something, so we don't have to randomly guess biggrin.gif

Well, to be fair he did say it was a book smile.gif Stuff like genre and a brief synopsis would be nice, however.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation Posts: 2,813 Fully active user
    QUOTE (6john6doe6 @ Jun 1 2004, 06:13 PM)
    i just finished this book about 5 minutes ago, and i must say it is simply amazing. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Now that you're done with that. I suggest "Hop on Pop". It's a really good suspense-thriller.

But on a serious note, I'll have to consider that when I'm done with God Emperor of Dune.
    Zoc.php FTW
    "Build a tent and say the world is dry." -Tay Zonday
  • NumbersNotFoundNumbersNotFound Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7556Members Posts: 1,937
    I've read Cat's Cradle, Mother Night, Slaughter-House Five, Deadeye ****, The Sirens of Titan, and Breakfast of Champions, all by Vonnegut, and I must say, either Mother Night or The Sirens of Titan is the best.
    QUOTE (Geminosity @ Aug 1 2005, 07:31 PM)
    depot that joke was so bad I lost 30hp :p
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 3,509
    its kinda hard for me to discribe it, but its sci fi, with some comedy. wouldnt hurt to google it yourself ya know.
    and
  • MulletMullet Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Members, Constellation Posts: 3,291
    edited June 2004
    QUOTE (6john6doe6 @ Jun 1 2004, 08:09 PM)
    its kinda hard for me to discribe it, but its sci fi, with some comedy. wouldnt hurt to google it yourself ya know.

I just googled Cat's Cradle

How to Do Cat's Cradle

In cat's cradle, two people make shapes with string and pass them back and forth. Lots of people know
    the FIRST one (the Cat's Cradle) -- but there are lots more: the Manger, Candles, the Cat's Eye, and
    Diamonds....it goes on and on. To do it, you need:

• two people
    • a piece of string tied at the ends to make a circle

In the directions, “you” is the first person and “she” is the second person. You and she take turns:
    when it's HER turn, the directions will switch sides.

1. You put your hands through the string. Keep your thumb out of it
    user posted image
    2. Then you loop the string around each hand. Keep your thumb out of the loop.
    user posted image
    3. Put the middle finger of one hand through the loop on the other hand and pull.
    user posted image
    4. Put the middle finger of the OTHER hand through the loop. This is "the Cat's Cradle."
    user posted image
    Now comes the first hard thing. Find the two places where the string makes an X.

.............so on, and so on.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 3,509
    erm, might wanna search for "cat's cradle vonnegut"
    and
  • RenegadeRenegade Old school Join Date: 2002-03-29 Member: 361Members Posts: 1,966
    All I'm going to give away about Cat's Cradle without spoiling it: ...

Scrath that, I can't really give away anything without spoiling it, you just have to read it.
    IPB Image

Savior, conqueror, hero, villian.

Espionage Mod
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 7,221 Advanced user
    I reccommend "Prey" by Michael Crichton. Masterpiece.
    __________Artist: asuka111 | The Flood | www.quaunaut.com
  • panda_de_malheureuxpanda_de_malheureux Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24775Members Posts: 1,633
    hahahha masterful post Mullet, you can have a cookie AND eat it too!
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation Posts: 4,708 Advanced user
    Wow! O_o first time I'v seen sombody give sombody else a cookie and actually let them eat it O_o
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation Posts: 2,813 Fully active user
    edited June 2004
    But he didn't give him a cookie.

This reminds me of a simpsons episode that I'm going to quote (loosely) because I have too much free time on my hands and that stuff is hard to wash off.

Marge walks up to a booth full of books, Dr. Nick is behind the counter.

Dr. Nick: "On my diet, you can eat anything you want, all the time!"
    Marge: "And you can lose weight doing that?"
    Dr. Nick: "Sure, it's a free country."
    Zoc.php FTW
    "Build a tent and say the world is dry." -Tay Zonday
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver Posts: 4,371 mod
    QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Jun 2 2004, 12:52 PM)
    But on a serious note, I'll have to consider that when I'm done with God Emperor of Dune.

You'd better move onto "Heretics of Dune" or I'll eat your eyeballs.

--Scythe--
    "Show me an operation that is running smoothly and I'll show you someone who's covering up mistakes. Real boats rock." - Frank Herbert
    image PAPT
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    Personally I thought cat's cradle was the second worst book I've ever read (second only to Atlas Shrugged (I shudder at the name). I liked slaughterhouse five quite a bit.

Glad you enjoyed it though.
  • enf0rcerenf0rcer intrigued... Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14584Members Posts: 2,473
    QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Jun 1 2004, 10:36 PM)
    I reccommend "Prey" by Michael Crichton. Masterpiece.

i love that guy. All of his books were ruined by the movies though, except for jurassic park wink.gif Prey was good but it didn't have the same catch to it as his other books like timeline and congo had.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members Posts: 3,010 Advanced user
    Congo.. is by far one of the best I have read.. excluding my all time favorite author of course wink.gif

No.. I won't say who, if you don't know by now (smack).
    Boce aan va viran doyvenda anadom emadende bukkean ame
    <Rev> That's because true leetness comes not from replacing letters with numbers and poor grammar.
  • MulletMullet Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Members, Constellation Posts: 3,291
    Without Remorse by Tom Clancy is my fav. book.... smile.gif
  • XiileXiile Join Date: 2003-02-22 Member: 13818Members Posts: 1,324
    *IMAGE BALEETED.* Signatures may not exceed 400x75 or 22KB. No exceptions. -Talesin