Improving Ns Skulks

1235»

Comments

• BOBDololBOBDolol Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21431Members
    When your hive is getting sieged, you should have either fades, lerks, an onos, or a 2nd hive.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Indeed, you should.

And every one of those that gets killed comes back as a <i>vanilla</i> skulk, with a 50% chance of appearing in the siege blast at that, and so not even having the time to re-evolve, assuming the res is present. Those that do appear at the other hive, with the res, who take the time to re-evolve, then need to take the time to get over to the marines.

Meanwhile, any marines that get killed by your fades, lerks, and onos respawn with the Lx/Lx upgrades that they had before dying, perhaps with a heavy weapon/heavy armor already waiting for them at the IP, requiring no time to suit up in, and can phase-gate back to the action.

If decent marines get the siege set-up, the hive is most likely gone because of this.

Once the 2nd hive is gone, aliens are then at a significant disadvantage.

Part of the problem is that the aliens are on a much steeper slippery slope than the marines. If they start to lose, they tend to go downhill very quickly, eventually winding up in basically a waiting game for the marines to come finish them. Marines rarely have to undergo a standoff at an alien hive. They either take it or they don't. Sitting around waiting isn't a lot of fun.

On the other side, the marine's slope is much more gentle, which is why when aliens win it's most often after going through a last standoff at the marines CC.. which can actually be kind of fun, fighting frantically to hold them off -- hopefully being able to mount a sneak-attack of some sort in the interim.

Giving the skulk a slight beef will work to reduce the steepness of the alien's slope. If this were coupled with some type of fade/onos re-balancing (2nd hive nerf, 3rd hive beef) it would help quite a bit to make both sides more fun to play. (Well, unless you consider "slaughter-the-skulk" with your SG/HMG a fun game..)
  • funbagsfunbags Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17099Members
    you guys must not be good with skulk...because i can kill 3 rines with lvl 1 armor as a 1 hive skulk with no upgrades easy. Just keep moving around.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm more inclined to believe you're playing with nub marines.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-SmoodCroozn+Apr 20 2004, 11:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SmoodCroozn @ Apr 20 2004, 11:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> For those people who say Skulks are only for ambushing: What happens when your hive is getting sieged? If you say ambushing, then that only leaves skulks on the defensive, which most of the time causes the aliens to lose. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ambush outside of the hive and don't let the seiges be put up in the first place.
  • BOBDololBOBDolol Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21431Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-funbags+Apr 25 2004, 02:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (funbags @ Apr 25 2004, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> you guys must not be good with skulk...because i can kill 3 rines with lvl 1 armor as a 1 hive skulk with no upgrades easy. Just keep moving around. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i suggest you play on a server where people could actually aim
  • LichoLicho Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3858Members, NS1 Playtester
    Well i guess that everyone who playes regurally knows that its very hard for aliens to win maps like elicpse or veil against good rines.. You simply wont be able to hold enough res or kill enough rines to go fade before they kill your hive or growing second hive..
    It seems that new lerk helps to balance skulk problem, reducing armor with spores is good enough to make skulks better, but if lerk flight gets nerfed again skulks are gonna need some serious boost.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    What's wrong with boosting skulks?
  • LichoLicho Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3858Members, NS1 Playtester
    Err nothing.. i think it should be boost by 0 cost upgrades.. but right now (from my experiences) lerks help keep balance +- ok.. so boosting skulk is not as much critical as it was in beta 3...
  • NightCrawlerzNightCrawlerz Join Date: 2003-04-18 Member: 15609Members
    ALL MY IDEAS TO BOOST THE SKULK.

JUST make a new life form that doubles the hp of skulks or somthing and gives him more speed.

if you think this will be cheeseed early game then make a chain kill requriement before the skulk can evolve.

like.... you must have 4 kills in a row before you can evolve into a advanced skulk.
    This way only decidcated skulkers will get the advanced skulk.

i am really good with the skulk and early game on any server i will have the top score untill hive 2 is complete, because by then the other clanners evolve into fades and thats when i really have to frag hardcore to stay up there.
    the poeple who are really good with skulks will get the fast 4 in a rpw kills and evolve.

OR you could set a time requireent like you must be a skulk for 5 minutes.

OR every time a skulk gets kills in a row it gains 5hp and 2ap so AN INCREDIBLE SKULK WHO GETS 10 KILLS INA ROW WILL get a bonus of 50 hp and 20 ap.

awww screw it flay hates my fav class and wants wall climbing to be useless.
    to bad to make an entire lifeform that relentlessly dies.