B-rines Of L33 T3

noobynooby Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15717Members
<div class="IPBDescription">By Olivia "Quiet" Lee</div> Only one page I'm sorry, the Galactic Library has had a computer error.

B-Rines of L33 T3.

Foreword by Olivia "Quiet" Lee.

You would be wrong and your thinking muddled if you believe the hype about my name, the name was originally meant as a taunt or abuse. The label was given to me by a disgruntled suitor, who was just a large jock type who thought he was being clever and insulting all at the same time. He was disbelieving that I didn't care about the label.

I have to admit that the name was clever in a way, but it missed the mark because I was too busy studying. I had a goal and the world could literally kiss my a&& for all the notice I would take. I wanted to find out about sex so I chose what I thought was a good choice, only to find that my naive choice had been made on hearsay. The jock was insensitive and a twenty second wonder. I didn't even lose my lotus.

What am I talking about you ask. The giving of a name.

After he rolled over to sleep I got up off the bed and dressed quickly, then went to the lab. I received some strange looks (or so I thought at the time) from the men. I was too busy setting up my experiments to worry about it. I had nearly finished when a fellow female student told me about the label, cutie.

To have thought and worried about it would maybe have caused some grief, but as I said I was studying and so dismissed it as a joke. If you look at my photograph sometime you'll see I'm far from cute. I'm medium height, off slim and only mildly attractive. So the name, as I found out later, was supposed to be insulting, the jock was very put out that I laughed when told about it.

The way it came to be "Quiet" was due to a stint in the rines. I made a friend of an English corporal when I helped him study and pass his sergeants exams. In a pub brawl I got held by the throat, he saw this and made me a deal. He would teach me unarmed combat and all the dirty tricks of the street, if I would teach him Reports and Analysis, which was his weakness. He then touched the side of his nose and said on the QT. QT? I asked him, he said it was an English shortening for -on the quiet.

I fell over laughing. He just looked at me as though I was a strange being from another planet which sent me into hysterics. He had to slap me thrice to bring me round. When I explained, he went into fits of laughter as well. So that is how I came by the nick of "Quiet" and it has been very apt for me. They tell me that I go very quiet when I'm discovering or thinking about things, so it fits.

When asked later about it by a female student at a reunion, he told a strange tale and said she is frigid too. Well, unfortunately for the jock I was close and heard the comment, and being very drunk I asked him to repeat it, the fool did. I decked him and told him to get up or was he a coward. Well a jock is a jock and wounded pride makes fools of us all, I used all the dirty tricks I had been taught and gave him a real trashing.

When he was quite disabled and hurting, he asked who I was, I told him and told him my nick, he started laughing and that cemented a life-long friendship, we promptly got drunk and high together. He delivered me jonked but intact to my mate English at base. The next day, English asked me if I was alright and how jock brought me home and that he held me in the highest regard, and would I teach him to fight sometime. We had a great laugh together.

It was this incident that got me kicked out of the rines. I was a discredit to the unit, the force blah blah blah. It was a blessing actually, I had been thinking that the rines didn't cut it for me. This gave me the chance to follow my avowed profession, of writing about how to survive the worst conditions and thrive. To start I had to get money to live on, and so I took a job as an astro-navigator for a planetary research company. I postulated and found L33 T3.

Comments

• noobynooby Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15717Members
    Next part to finish the introduction.

It was a doodle during an idle time that lead to this discovery. I had been searching the 5BRZ star system, and knew something was wrong with either the instruments or my theories. As the check on other known stars was accurate I knew my theories or observations were wrong. I went about my other work and determined to figure out the discrepancies later.

The later came during idle time whilst in Hyper-space, I was bored and as is my wont I was doodling. I had switched off so to speak and my subconscious had solved and drawn the answer. It was with a yelp of surprise from a hearty slap on my back that I came to my senses. The Chief of Navigation had seen my doodle and recognised it for what it was, he congratulated me on finding a new planet.

When all the reports were in he said the name of this planet is, ( I feared he would claim the discovery for himself ), I was flabbergasted to hear him name it L33 T3. I looked on him with new respect. He then said it was named after its discoverer and for its properties. So the new name is after me, L33 --- for my name plus its 33% variation on normal, T3 for terran like and 3 times larger than Earth. I accepted the Chief of Navigations offer to join the team to explore L33 T3.

Now you know a little of my background and how I became involved with the planet. The rest of the tale begins when I was asked to do a follow up by my publisher. The tale starts just after the first B-rine is put on the planet and its conclusion is some time after the event. The publishers thought it had a continuity about it, the finder writing about the punished on the planet she found.
  • noobynooby Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15717Members
    Next.

Tingling behind the eyes, prickly pins and needles raced and contested for supremacy, each trying to outdo the other for his attention, the sensations from his body let him know he was still alive, what a bunch of feeble do-gooders they were to give him freedom, he would return and make them regret they let him live. Then the sensations gathered and collected and became a headache, oh what a headache. The First awoke slowly as the power failed. The stasis field leaving him from the top of his head to his toes, as the generator ran down. The generator lost power as the fuel ran dry, and the field sank and shortened till it was stilled.

Awareness was slow in coming, the effects of the field had rattled his autonomous system. His mind gained enough energy to realise that he could die here because of his inability to awaken fully. He sent a mental plea of help expecting no reply, maybe rejection, and was deeply chagrined to be answered by the meld. The asking of permission to meld minds to see the problem firsthand floored him.

In answer to your unspoken question, you are a free man as long as you stay on L33 T3. You have all the rights and privileges under law, and as such we treat you with the respect due a free man. But you would not have recieved such mercy from me, he truthfully replied. The meld acknowledged the information but reinforced the free man idea by stimulating and reviving him to full capacity. The First was momentarily stunned, then amazed the meld by accepting fully the responsibility for his actions and truly promised to live better on his new home.

The meld transported the First and his gear to a nearby cave and asked if he wanted anything. Just as the question was asked the meld saw the mental picture of an old fashioned food replicator. The meld phased two into the cave with enough spares to keep the machine working for years. The First thanked the meld.

The First went to the back of the cave and arranged his belongings. The tent caused some confusion, it was a ten person sub zero, cold weather structure. Its erection was meant to be simplicity with a holographic display. The display projector was useless and the pump broken. The meld phased completed buildings using corporate materiel to the cave. This would give the B-rine a head start to his future.

Food, shelter and fully functional workshops. The First acknowledged the help and apologised for any wrong done by him in the past, he truly meant the contrition. The meld left him with the mental signature for contacting them without any other knowing. Knowledge of the future arrivals came also, pass the signature to whoever you think responsible enough should it be necessary came advice with the parting, farewell, goodluck.

The First truly saw the errors of his ways and had been shown Bollards demise. He knew how close oblivion was and had been, he desired life and sat waiting the others. He used this time to plumbed his mind and memories, the meld had kept a light touch on all the mercy rines, they were true. The first then mind asked if the meld would remove all the evil memories from his and any other who desired it.

Thinker asked the meld their opinion, he was too new come to his expanded state and power to blithely attempt the procedure. It was an alien mystic who offered the answer. Let all who wished have their memories altered to make the evil gone, and change the reason they were on this world. They volunteered to try and tame this world, they were given experimental evolving abilities to booster their survival on this most deadly world. A mix of truth with fancy that their minds would accept without harm.

The First was elated, he asked that the others be asked as well. The Firsts request was repeated to the assembled B-rines and they agreed unanimously. The meld, led by the alien mystic, removed, remolded and wove the memories with such delicacy that the memories stuck. Each was now a respected and wanted member of the Galactic Survey and Colony Dep't, accepted because the council and head of this Department were included into the meld to see the transformation.