After Reading Some Discussion On Bunnyhopping...

LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">I have some things to say.</div> The changes from the marines jumping in 1.0x to 2.0 was done wrong. As Coil mentioned, the point in removing bunnyhopping was to remove the speed boost, and not the effects of it in combat. This "fix" doesn't just remove the speed boost though, it removes your speed.

The best example I can come up with for a good fix on bunnyhopping is CS. Is it possible to bunnyhop? Yes. Can you gain speed out of it? No. Now please don't try and tell me "no it slows you down whenever you land!", since if you simply bound mwheeldown to +jump, you can keep your speed while jumping, but not gain or lose it. Currently in 2.0 if you try and take a second jump, you will do another jump, but land where you landed from the first jump. I just don't get why. If the intent was to not cripple combat abilities, the fix has failed. I try to jump out of the way and just find myself stopped for a second to be quickly caught by whatever is attacking me. I feel like I've been turned into a mobile turret with the abilty to bounce every once in a while.

Now fixing this to be able to keep jumping but not gain speed would not only help marines, but it would promote better skulking again. Back in 1.04 you had to be a good skulk to take on marines, now you just gotta get up to them and bite at them since their only options are kill or be killed. They really do need a little more chance of survival in combat. Plus, I think the skulks are getting lazy. They need to catch their prey, not just run up to it since it has almost no ability to dodge. Think about it, a skulk who runs around going "CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP" takes no skill at all, anyone can do it. But a skulk who is able to take down their enemy in a couple of well aimed bites is actually showing some skill.

I'm glad to see the ability for a marine to outrun a skulk by bunnyhopping go, but for it to cripple the manuverabily of a marine just shows that there is a flaw in the fix. There are other ways to fix it, they did it with CS.

Finally, I've found that there are flaws in the coding of the bunnyhop nerf. If you are going up a ramp, or up things where you are constantly landing about 16 units higher, you can keep bunnyhopping like back in 1.04. But if you are staying at the same height or going downwards, the nerf stops you from keeping going. I just thought I would mention that, at least there is still *some* hope.