Playing On My Own Server

KageKage Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2016Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Varied errors</div> Yesterday I set up a server on one of the computers in my home. It has a p4 2 ghz, with 128 mb of ram. The server isn't meant to be a public server, just a little one for me and my friends from school. Everybody can play fine on the server with minimal pings (around 30, but everybody lives near me), except for me.

I play off of another computer in my home that shares the cable internet connection through a router, and I have a low ping, but the server kicks me at seemingly random times. The computer has a p3 700 mhz, with 256 mb of ram. It gives me varied errors, including svc_bad and illegal user msg xxx. From what I can tell, there's some problem with playing through a router, since nobody else gets these errors. Also, I don't usually get these errors when playing on public servers.

Strange things also happen while I'm playing as a commander- I can't drop buildings to be built. It plays a clanking noise whenever I try to place a structure. This may or may not be related, but it very well might be.

Is there a way to stop this from happening, or am I not supposed to be playing on a dedicated server on my network?

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    This is odd

We had a dedicated server runnig on uor network and we all played on it (CS students)

though it is possible that it is diff b/c we run through a switch (though not possitive on that)

bah

Hopefuly MonsE will be over soon, he knows much more on this stuff then the rest of us
  • KageKage Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2016Members
    I've done a couple of things to help fix the problem, but it still occurs. Apparently I unzipped the patch to the wrong folder the first time, so the server was running v 1.00, which is a bad thing. Also, I tried playing on the server under half-life (instead of cs retail), and forgot to patch that. However, the errors still occur, even though they are rare. When I originally posted this, I couldn't join a team on Hera before I was disconnected, but now I have to turn on cheats and do a bit of spamming to get the error to occur.

The disconnects seem to be related to the entity count of the map, and also the number of things that have been built.
  • ElvenThiefElvenThief aka Elven Thief (ex. NS Programmer) Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8754Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Are you usings a Linksys router by chance?
    I've tried and given up hosting a server behind this 4 port router of mine. I did some searches in the past, and many people have had issues with it. Use the search button and search for "linksys" and "server' and you'll find most of those posts.

In addition, I discovered that whenever my computer was set as DMZ host, extended use of Voice Communications would cause me to disconnect from any internet server. Just another quirk of the router.
    Linksys pulls through again... I've already fried one of these routers and had to get a new one. Oh well, I guess I can scrap this idea.

However, did everybody have problems when they connected to your server, or was it only you?
  • Jabba_The_HuntJabba_The_Hunt Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11850Members
    Why don't you just set up internet connection sharing, I've used it for testing a server and I can connect from both a local network and the internet. Although you'll probably want to make sure you have a good firewall (I use BlackIce).
    I'm not sure what you mean. I am sharing an internet connection by using a router, unless you are talking about something different.
  • ElvenThiefElvenThief aka Elven Thief (ex. NS Programmer) Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8754Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I guess the trick with the Linksys router is for local network people to connect to the LAN IP and not the Internet address. Something about their network address translation that doesn't like local people acting as internet side.

After that, I quit getting the disconnect errors. But people from the internet (mostly friends testing) would get the svc_bad errors and all sorts of bad info. For as much as I tried tweaking it, I gave up. I think some people have gotten lucky, but I've yet to find a surefire way to make it work.