About The "shouldnt Be Able To Leave Area

QuestionQuestion Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9180Members
<div class="IPBDescription">with only turrets" argument.....</div> That argument is being used for A.The ridiculous turret accuracy and B.The ridiculous turret damage.For the kharaa,this arugment doesnt apply.Why?The aliens should be the ones MORE affected by it,as their units are so much more faster than the marines and thus,can respond faster.

Turret = very unlikely to hit moving skulk,20 damage,cost 19 res,relient on TF.

OC = Slightly more likely to hit marines due to their MUCH slower speed,50 damage,cost 14 res,can auto-heal with DCs,can auto-build,build so much faster than a turret and have a 360 degrees field of fire(tested,stood underneath OC,it hurt me)

I dont see why the aliens should be able to leave a wall of lame at one of the RTs and not need to defend it(against anything other than gl/seige/MASS numbers of hmgs/MAYBE lmg) when the marines need to defend against 1 experienced skulk who knows how to avoid turrets shooting at them.

Comments

• legion_gimpehlegion_gimpeh Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13384Members
    Turrets can't fire above 30 degrees either.
  • FireStormFireStorm Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7390Members
    Because marines have phasegates...
  • BergerBerger Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8945Members, Constellation
    Exactly. Marines have phasegates and should, in most occasions, be able to get to any secured location before the turrets go down.
  • heathenSlayerheathenSlayer Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6088Members
    Marines have so much more firepower than aliens.
    Siege/gl, duh.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    b/c WoL is notpart of the game (yes turret stacking is one of those things I think flay did not expect and I BELIEVE is being taken out)

and also, OCs have much fewer HP, and any marine that goes charging around a corner deserves a facefull of goo

OCs are not marine killers, they are simply speedbumbs

remember, if you crouch around a corner, that is one dead OC.

And again, it simply requires different strats

ALIENS != MARINES, it has been said many times, if marines get one thing aliens don't automaticly get something like it, so long as it is still balanced then it is good. (I still say this game is decently balanced)
  • ZelZel Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12861Members
    a turret may miss a skulk running perpendicular to it, but if you place a few turrets spread around the area, whenever the skulk runs one direction he will be running his face into the line of fire for a turret. place a few and problems are solved.

sure a skulk can bypass a turret farm easier than a marine can run past a WoL, but as the above poster said, they are NOT the same teams and they do NOT ahve the same tactics.
  • othellothell Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4183Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin--Thansal+Mar 2 2003, 01:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Thansal @ Mar 2 2003, 01:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> b/c WoL is notpart of the game (yes turret stacking is one of those things I think flay did not expect and I BELIEVE is being taken out) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Flayra has said that he has no problem with stacking... So I doubt they'll be taken out. But with 1.1 so many things will be changing you just never know.
  • RueRue Join Date: 2002-10-21 Member: 1564Members
    u kinda have 1/2 a good point if ur puting 1 turret vs 1 other , but as a whole mariens have more fire power and can kill lods of turrets in seconds, even fades take a while to kill a few turrets
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Flay would rather see innate limits on some things, like WOLs. They are justified by the high resource cost - because they *are* totally surmountable with the appropriate tools (GL).

As for stacking -- marine building stacking will be fixed in 1.1 (from what I have heard), because melee aliens have a difficult time dealing with stacked structures (marines, with their ranged weapons, don't have such a problem).
  • CatpokerCatpoker Join Date: 2002-06-25 Member: 816Members
    i was thinking that even though the aliens are fast and can attack easly, they need to be geared more towards defence

and the marines, even though their slow, are more offencive
  • EidolanEidolan Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8694Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Catpoker+Mar 2 2003, 04:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Catpoker @ Mar 2 2003, 04:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i was thinking that even though the aliens are fast and can attack easly, they need to be geared more towards defence

and the marines, even though their slow, are more offencive <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well thats the way it was ment to be but to me it seems the Aliens are the attackers most of the game. Marines tend to attack when they have the upper hand. Witch makes sence because do the Aliens care if they die? No there a hive mind. But humans on the other hand wont just march off to there death(unless theres a VERY dam good reason).
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4340Members
    I think what's being fixed about alien stacking is that you will no longer be able to block lifts. I heard that no map entities were doing proper damage to buildings, and that it would be fixed. I take this to mean that chambers under lifts will take some nasty damage and thus not really be effective anymore.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    And let's not forget the tactic of planting mines in a turret farm. Hard for a Skulk to circle-strafe a turret when there are little packets of death on the ground ready to blow 'im up. About the only thing that can be done there is to get a Gorge to (somehow) snipe all the Mines away with spit, or have one Skulk go and run up on the ceiling, HOPEFULLY distracting the turrets (and taking no damage because of the limited vertical arc of fire) while another sneaks in to carefully eat them all. Even then, the mines are still there, and are a pain to deal with.
    Just played in a game where Marines secured two hives with mined turret farms. Only reason we were able to bring it back to having a fighting chance (even with Carapace 3) was because they forgot to defend their original base.
  • PetitMortePetitMorte Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7232Members
    Um, map entities DO damage structures.

Try blocking the engine room door in BAST with chambers or equipment.

They do damage to structures just fine <b>when the mapper sets them to do damage</b>.
  • SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Members
    It's cause marine defenses and kharaa defenses work differently. It's all part of the "two sides being totally different" kind of thing. Anyway, WoLs aren't "drop and forget" because they get sieged, or shot around a corner (if they aren't built properly) or GL'd. They're supposed to deny access to an area long enough for help to arrive.

Anyway, as mentioned above, if you really want to protect your marine structures just use mines.
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    The point is, WOl are MUCH more effective at delaying the enemy until help arrvies (and help arrives WAY faster for the kharaa than the marines) than turrets are, and MUCH less expensive. the Kharaa ARE lots more "place and forget" because of the D chambers superb abilities. Meanwhile, the marines HAVE to drop a welder, and take it to the turrets to weld the turrets.

I'd like to see DCs stop healing buildings (except hives). that way, DCs probably won't ALWAYS be the first buildings built. And, the gorge will have to actively patrol the buildings healing them. (Maybe give the otehr aliens classes the heal ability also, except half as quickyl as the gorge can do it?)
  • Big_Chief_Brown_BottomBig_Chief_Brown_Bottom Join Date: 2003-01-22 Member: 12584Members
    marines are already far superior to aliens in almost every aspect. let the aliens have their WOLs lets not take away the only thing that keeps the aliens in contention in 1.04. they just plain suck wastewater. the reason ocs and dcs are place and forget is because aliens dont' have phase gates for INSTANT reinforcement. marine reinforcements arrive at lightspeed. obviously dsmeatshield here has not played ns long enuf to see a phasegate yet. please play more than 1 ns game before drawing conclusions
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Phasegate with welder guy can both reinforce and repair a base far faster than a skulk on patrol or a couple of DC's can heal a WOL. A welder repairs 100 pts/sec, a DC 5 pts/sec. And you only need to drop one 10pt welder to repair every place, you don't need to drop a minimum of 2-3 DC's costing 14 pts each with every wall.

It should be pointed out that DC's don't save a wall - even 3 DC's will need 10 seconds to repair one second of LMG fire. Considering that even a single LMG will take down an OC in about 20 seconds (3 clips, about), walls don't survive if unattended.
  • KingKupoKingKupo Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9785Members
    reading this it seems that Kharaa sentrys are overpowered, but even a single marine can take them out if he has a small thing to hide after. the bad accuracy of the DC makes sure that before it hits something you will be gone or have destroyed it. turrets are fearsome in large groups, focus on one and you will get 2- unlimited SGs shooting at you.
  • EplekongenEplekongen Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8915Members
    edited March 2003