Not Really An Ns Problem...

UnknownUnknown Join Date: 2002-06-12 Member: 759Members
<div class="IPBDescription">More like a General Tech Problem</div> First things first, my computer specs:

Windows XP Home Edition
1.7Ghz Celeron
40GB HD (47% free)
512mb DDR ram
3D Intel Extreme Graphics Controller
Made by EMachines

For some reason over the past 2 days, my computer has been having problems starting up and acts REALLY sluggish (even when not running anything... the start menu takes forever to load...). The ONLY changes I have done to my computer were installing 3 custom themes and 2 demo games. I deleted 2 of the custom themes because not only did I not like them, but also I was getting strange errors when installing one of them. The other one I did not delete is also acting somewhat strange... the minimize sound keeps on looping after 5 min or so (It just plays once, then 5 more min pass, and it does the one sound again.).

This is really making me PO'ed because this is a new computer (Got it for X-mas) and I try to keep it free of unwanted material. I already ran scandisk on most of the computer (got tired of it taking forever, so I only scanned the important stuff.), defragged it twice (once before cleaning up unwanted stuff, then once after), but I still get the same sluggish perforance. I don't know if its a virus that I can't detect, or if its just because I am missing a possible new update for WinXP.

Comments

• nothingnothing Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9231Members
    If you have kazaa installed, I know that's messed up more than a few of my friends' computers. Problems are not immediately evident, but over a one or two week period computer performance and stability gradually degrades. Even uninstalling kazaa doesn't fix the problem. The only thing I can recommend for the kazaa virus is 1) don't install kazaa and 2) if you have installed, it's time to reformat. (people say kazaa lite doesn't produce problems, but I don't trust that either). If you don't have it installed, please ignore this paragraph that you've already read...

Aside from that I'm not too tech saavy, but this might help:
    <a href='http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/' target='_blank'>LavaSoft AdAware</a>
    Download the free version. It does help clean off many (but not all) unwanted parasites that could be slowing your computer down. Use at your own risk, of course.