Question About Turret Placement In 3d

TryonTryon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7040Members
Ok, so I just won my first game as a comm (yea my team and I!). My question is: how is turret placement based in NS? I mean, I see the green circle where I can place a turret and all, but is it a cylinder or is it a sphere?

Specifically, I had my team start seiging the Port Engine hive from that little vent walkway. The turret factory was down on the floor in the maintence shaft and I put the seige cannon in the vent. Now, was the placement of the seige (all the way up the vent) because the range for building turrets/cannons is based on a cylinder with the TF in the center of the cylinder or what?

I'm pretty sure that it's currently a cylinder, but I was just wanting someone else to confirm/deny it. Thanks!

Comments

• Dead_DragonDead_Dragon Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10972Members
    All those green circles that you see when you select the comm chair, armory, turret factory etc. are cylinders.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I'm not 100% sure but I believe the correct geometric area is a sphere as opposed to a cylinder.
  • Brain_DamageBrain_Damage Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10594Members
    As far as I can tell, it is a cylinder. The turret factory can have a huge verticle separation from the turrets you place.

A couple of examples:

- ns_bast, you can use a turret factory in the marine spawn and drop turrets at the bottom of the big elevator

- ns_bast, you can use a turret factory in the corner of the marine base to drop turrets in the vents next to engine room hive (siege turrets can even hit the hive using this trick)

- ns_nothing, you can drop turrets all over the Great Viaduct hive using a turret factory on that walk way high above

- ns_nothing, you can drop turrets up near the ceiling in Power Silo hive using a turret factory on the ground
  • FlatlineUTDFlatlineUTD Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7695Members
    It's a cylinder, but I remember reading somewhere that turrets could only fire at a maximum angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal.

Can anyone confirm this?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I do remember two sentries firing straight up at a hive and it didn't look like they were hitting it at all.

In any case, it's a cylinder.
  • EnIgEnIg Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11379Members
    30 degrees is correct