Half-life 2 On Xbox?

BergerBerger Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8945Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">A rumor in OXM</div> Nifty. Read this:
<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Reports from my Redmond Spies tell me that ex-Microsoft, current Valve President Gabe Newell has been hanging around the Xbox HQ quite a bit these days. And rumor around the cafeteria is that Gabe is working a deal with Microsoft to publish <i>Half-Life II</i> on Xbox and PC. Microsoft has already worked a deal to publish <i>Counter-Strike</i> (the popular Half-Life mod) and the long delay on news for <i>Half-Life II</i> points to something being up. This would give the Xbox the best two first-person shooters ever made. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THAT would be interesting, eh?

Comments

• NinjaBurgerNinjaBurger Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9931Members
    It would be a shame. XBox has 1/10th the market reach of Playstation II, and by forcing the most popular FPS of all time to be exclusively released on the least-popular game platform right now would be stupid beyond words.

It would be like bragging that your game was going to be exclusively released for the Macintosh. Great for Mac users, but sucks for most people.

I, for one, would not buy an XBox just for Half-Life 2.
  • VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    Why have Half-Life on a console though? The PS2 version sucked and was just HL with the high definition pack and HEV/Health chargers that had an arm that moved towards you.

And you can't really mod on a console
    (/me waits to be corrected)
  • BergerBerger Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8945Members, Constellation
    Yea, you're right. It's very hard to mod with a console. And I've never really been a fan of console shooter games, it's just too clunky.

Ninjaburger, the Xbox is far from the least popular console system at the moment. That would be the Gamecube. In October, the latest statistics I could find, the Xbox sold 41% more consoles and software thatn the Gamecube. Although the PS2 is still far in the lead, Microsoft is holding it's own.

The 'article' states that the game will most likely be released on both Xbox and PC. I'll probably only buy the PC version, I just thought I'd share. And I agree with you, I definetly wouldn't buy an Xbox just for HL2.
  • NinjaBurgerNinjaBurger Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9931Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Berger+Dec 30 2002, 09:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Berger @ Dec 30 2002, 09:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ninjaburger, the Xbox is far from the least popular console system at the moment. That would be the Gamecube. In October, the latest statistics I could find, the Xbox sold 41% more consoles and software thatn the Gamecube. Although the PS2 is still far in the lead, Microsoft is holding it's own.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I stand corrected.

Regardless, I dislike the idea of any game appearing exclusively on XBox. The theory is that by releasing big name games on that platform alone, people will be forced to buy the XBox to play them. In reality, it means that some good games might languish in hell when releasing them on PS2 might be a better idea.

But as long as HL2 comes out for the PC, I'll be happy as a skulk at a pacifist marine convention.
  • GnatsumGnatsum Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10566Members
    "They are coming..."
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    need I remind you all that half-life 2 hasn't even been *officially* announced yet? Yeah we know they are doing it (just like we knew id was doing DOOM 3 several months prior to the official announcement), but still, speculating any details is a bit silly.
  • BergerBerger Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8945Members, Constellation
    It wasn't <i>me</i> speculating, it was the *snigger* Rumor Mole. Whoever that may be. Surprisingly, he's usually right with his predictions.