Subnautica: Below Zero Story Changes and Save Games - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica: Below Zero Story Changes and Save Games - Subnautica

Hey Below Zero fans!  Hope you are enjoying the Lost Ship update! We’ve got lots of big changes coming soon to Early Access and wanted to give a quick heads-up...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Opening forum thread
  • xelasxelas Join Date: 2020-03-05 Member: 258514Members
    Wow awsome! Keep up the good work. I know you dont like to give out any release dates or such when the game will be done, to not let us down if you cant make the deadline, but are there any approximate or rough thoughts on when the game might be close to ready?
  • CoreadorCoreador USA Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211310Members
    edited March 2020
    Note: If you are on experimental branch, it seems you cannot keep your save games, despite the guidance in the post. Switching to Early Access 8 branch gives an error that the save is newer than the release "changeset 24759 is newer than the current version (because presumably experimental is a little beyond EA8). I also have the same problem if I try to opt out of beta programs (which is probably the same as EA8 right now?).

So I guess I need to go back to experimental and just play the save until it auto updates into oblivion...
  • DavidKalinaDavidKalina Melbourne, Australia Join Date: 2020-03-05 Member: 258515Members, Super Administrators, Subnautica Developer
    edited March 2020
    Coreador wrote: »
    Note: If you are on experimental branch, it seems you cannot keep your save games, despite the guidance in the post. Switching to Early Access 8 branch gives an error that the save is newer than the release "changeset 24759 is newer than the current version (because presumably experimental is a little beyond EA8). I also have the same problem if I try to opt out of beta programs (which is probably the same as EA8 right now?).

So I guess I need to go back to experimental and just play the save until it auto updates into oblivion...

Ah, thank you for reporting this - you've highlighted an edge case we haven't accounted for. If you were playing on experimental AFTER EA8 but before the change, switching to the EA8 branch won't work.

HOWEVER, the good news is that we can create an EA8.1 branch once we make the story change live in experimental (which we have not done yet). We'll keep you posted in here.
  • AtriAtri Slovakia Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258517Members
    Looking at the Favro I took a look at the reference animations for getting out of water and just as my opinion (currently playing sub bz) probably the best way to get out of water would be similar to getting in and out of vehicles a quick, short animation with a kick in it. So ''the spiderman'' as goofy as it is has the right energy of getting out of the water with a kick and speed that I think would be right for the game :)
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    The early access code is SUCH an incredible idea, I can go back and play the game in it's different stages and I think that is absolutely incredible. Is there one for base Subnautica? I would seriously love to go back and look back all of the old things! :smile:
  • DavidKalinaDavidKalina Melbourne, Australia Join Date: 2020-03-05 Member: 258515Members, Super Administrators, Subnautica Developer
    The early access code is SUCH an incredible idea, I can go back and play the game in it's different stages and I think that is absolutely incredible. Is there one for base Subnautica? I would seriously love to go back and look back all of the old things! :smile:

I was talking to Charlie about doing that just yesterday. We'd love to; just need to find an hour or so to dig through the Steam backend to make it happen.

As ever, no promises.. but we'll see what we can do.

• MariusLaurentiu37MariusLaurentiu37 romania Join Date: 2020-03-02 Member: 258432Members
    super cool game like it
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members

I was talking to Charlie about doing that just yesterday. We'd love to; just need to find an hour or so to dig through the Steam backend to make it happen.

As ever, no promises.. but we'll see what we can do.

Thank you so much! I will only hope and see what happens.
  • dorulasplorudorulasploru Romania Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258523Members
    I cant wait to see the new updates, but do take your time,the fact that you're not rushings with it calms me haha. Can't wait to buy it and test it myself.
  • ifreeflyifreefly russia Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258527Members
  • HellkenshiHellkenshi Brasil Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258528Members
    Can't wait Hype Extreme
  • Parish77Parish77 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246468Members
    edited March 2020
    Looking forward to it! Loved the first game. Enjoying the second (even in early access)
    So happy that there are production companies out there producing top quality games to rival the big studios but, even more so, care about their product and customers alike. You guys are doing a great job ??
  • pucho420pucho420 North america Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258539Members
    i seriously cant wait! i remember playing the original Subnautica on a whim and i was completely blown away. i got early access on below zero because i love and support your games so much and so far Im still just amazed at what you guys have come up with and fixed. Im so excited for the new story and what changes there might be. i absolutely cannot wait! please keep up the great work but try not to work yourselves into the ground. Im sure we could wait another month or two if need be. just make sure its something that you guys as well as your fans can still love.
  • TGCYTTGCYT Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258540Members
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the AMAZING game. I was just wanting to ask about/request multiplayer on Subnautica Below Zero. I know with Subnautica it was too late to implement multiplayer, me and my little brother love both games and with they had multiplayer. Thank you for reading this bye!!! ??
  • pucho420pucho420 North america Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258539Members
    i would also like to add that i was wondering if you guys are gonna implement some kinda negative affects for being frozen or cold? like maybe slowing movement or even a small health decrease over time? and i would also love to see a multiplayer function if its possible! i know a few friends who are interested in the games but they dont like playing solo. it would be really nice to have something of a co-op possibility. and i guess it would be nice if there was something bigger and stronger than the snowfox for land parts of the game because it kinda sucks to constantly get knocked off of the snowfox whenever your around iceworms. or maybe make it so we can somehow dodge them? idk just some food for thought i guess. either way i cant wait for your next update!
  • AdrynBlissAdrynBliss UK Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236997Members
    edited March 2020
    Before i'm shouted down for not giving the smaller developer their due i'd like to make the point that the reason some of us get so *ehem* passionate is because this game is so damn enthralling. That is why some of us get kinda PO'ed when we're still dealing with 4 year old bugs on console.
    This isn't small stuff either.
    Creature behaviour is still glitchy.
    We still, routinely, have to wait on the edge of nothingness for the map to load in.
    Inch forward entire kelp forest appears, inch backwards entire kelp forest disappears, not to mention the islands.
    The entire foundation of the game is exploration but if elements are not visible until you are all but right on top of them then it destroys the foundation of the game and from a design viewpoint it is there fore a failure.
    That isn't an opinion, it isn't subjective. That is an objective fact.
    If the point of the game is exploration and you can not do that they way you're supposed to then the team has failed. The game has failed.
    Hearing Below zero this and below zero that pisses me off when you haven't even got the base game where it should be.
    The story changes are live in /experimental on Steam. Keep in mind it is SUPER early in the process of bringing the new story online and things will be messy for a while.

I also created an /early-access-8.1 branch which represents the last playable experimental version with the old story. Access that branch with the "belowzeroearlyaccess" beta unlock code in Steam. If you were in the middle of a game in /experimental that you'd like to continue, switch to that branch for now. You'll know you're on the right build if the version number in the upper-right corner of the screen reads 24857.

Have fun!
    AdrynBliss wrote: »
    Before i'm shouted down for not giving the smaller developer their due i'd like to make the point that the reason some of us get so *ehem* passionate is because this game is so damn enthralling. That is why some of us get kinda PO'ed when we're still dealing with 4 year old bugs on console.

I hear you. We haven't done our best work for our console players. Our company hasn't had the people or infrastructure to appropriately support console versions in-house, and we're working on improving that situation.

We hope to have more console news to share very soon. Apologies for keeping you waiting.
  • MisiekSRMisiekSR Poland Join Date: 2020-03-07 Member: 258556Members
    Hello
    when is the next update with delete save ? wants to start again but I would like to know not to drop in on delete in a week or two
  • kfarris22kfarris22 United States Join Date: 2017-07-09 Member: 231690Members
    When will local co-OP come? On steam.. or custom private server...? Like ark does. Steam gives these tools to developers for free to use... it's not even hard either.
  • welshman1971welshman1971 Uk Join Date: 2020-03-07 Member: 258569Members
    Can you please make one or two areas nice and deep like they were in Subnautica ?
    The addition of the land is great but the loss of the very deep water is not so great. Without the deep areas it basically takes away any need for building bases .. one or two tubes with lockers for storage is all that's needed with the size of map and loss of depth .. so all those extra rooms including the new ones are kind of worthless .

So please consider just making a few spots much deeper
  • ikvsabreikvsabre Join Date: 2020-03-07 Member: 258576Members
    I've actually been enjoying the current story, and I'm mightily disappointed that the story, rather than being completed, is being scrapped. I hope they make it worthwhile throwing away our efforts to date.
  • Grano_OnisGrano_Onis Join Date: 2019-07-13 Member: 253713Members
    ummmm, Where do we input the password to access the early access builds? I would like to still experience the old story before the new one starts getting implemented, but I have no idea where to enter any password. Is it in-game, or somewhere else? (I do play the game via Steam)
  • ZiranosZiranos Norway Join Date: 2020-03-07 Member: 258583Members
    also piping in with my enormous gratitude to the devs bringing us two amazing games!

i am, however, extremely sceptical of the direction the new story is going. it might be because me and others who've played the first iterations of the story (i only played the version 8 story) became so invested in it and characters. i was so incredibly excited to play the ending to the story i bought the game for, only to find out it's doing what looks like a full 180.

i know we don't have a lot to go on at the moment, since it released less then a day ago, but just looking at the new intro cutscene and the new PDA entries, i feel like the story is trying to replicate/be more in line with the original Subnautica... ? the intent of which i understand, though i disagree with it - first game was amazing, and instead of trying to mimic it, i loved how Below Zero was shaping up to be something original and unique compared to its predecessor. bringing enough from the old game to still feel like a Subnautica game, while taking some bold steps and implementing new story mechanics to feel like a whole new experience. and that's what i want - a new experience. not just Subnautica all over again in a new locale.

in any case, i'll happily continue supporting your studio for many years to come, and i look forward to seeing the end product!
  • AtriAtri Slovakia Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258517Members
    Can you please make one or two areas nice and deep like they were in Subnautica ?
    The addition of the land is great but the loss of the very deep water is not so great. Without the deep areas it basically takes away any need for building bases .. one or two tubes with lockers for storage is all that's needed with the size of map and loss of depth .. so all those extra rooms including the new ones are kind of worthless .

So please consider just making a few spots much deeper

I haven't played through the entire SUB BZ yet, but if it's true what the lad says, that there are no areas with tons of space above you (aka deep places) then I would also like to say that those were one of my favourites to explore, mainly due to me being the most afraid there, the more space the bigger a bastard can fit in it, so being 600m underwater with all that empty space above me was really nailing my head with fear. And I'd love that in BZ too, since I was kinda hoping for it. Or at least large open spaces, the bigger the better.
  • SpyderSoupSpyderSoup Australia Join Date: 2018-04-29 Member: 240413Members
    I gotta say, the new story's intro looks way too similar to the orignal game. I guess it's because we're used to seeing the story feature a lot more dialogue. If this is what you decided to do for now on, here's one thing you could do is have Robin make a survival diary and have her write in what happened in the intro and why she did it.
  • SubnauticeBZSubnauticeBZ Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258639Members
    I like this game , probably, the best survival game type ever in history..
  • ALPHABUTTFINGERALPHABUTTFINGER U.S.A Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258654Members
    I really want to know if Subnautica Below Zero is coming to Xbox because I don't have steam and I've been waiting for a long time. If anyone knows when or if it's coming please tell me
  • FredlepianoFredlepiano England Join Date: 2020-03-09 Member: 258621Members
    edited March 2020
    Yo to any developers (like @DavidKalina or anyone working on this beautiful game),

I know that you don't like to give us an approx. time of release because of false hope if god forbid something dreadful happens but when about in the year (middle, late etc.) would be the ideal time for you plz? Just curious and wanting to know when 1.0 is released (so I know that hopefully SN BZ is coming to xbox). Not trying to put pressure or anything just somewhat curious.