Should Hail stones Hurt?

BoffBoff Sweden Join Date: 2018-08-12 Member: 242804Members
those hail stones look big man, it would be immersive if they did some "ai, ee, ooh" damage to Robin. What do you think?

Comments

• BallonBoyBallonBoy 06172, Bad Homburg Join Date: 2019-07-17 Member: 253775Members
    edited November 2019
    Nah.
    That would be just annoying and give no benefits to the gameplay.
    Weather is more of a cosmetic and atmospheric feature.
  • rcf31415rcf31415 Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270340Members
    BallonBoy wrote: »
    Nah.

No the benefit to gameplay is increased difficulty and sense of dread. if they make hail storms less frequent and do minimal damage gives a sense of dread without being a major hindrance. Also the pda gives you a weather warning and plenty of caves. I was halfway through my playthrough before I realized that they did nothing but make you freeze faster. cowering in a snowstalker den with my flare in hand was very thematic. when I realized they did nothing it broke the immersion.

That said if this is implemented devs make hail storms less frequent and have the player take around 30 damage if they are out for the whole storm... just enough to make us fear them but not enough to get annoying.
  • SuthaiSuthai Thailand Join Date: 2021-05-29 Member: 270825Members
    I like the idea of Hail Damage in Addition to the Increased Hypothermia risk. The Snowfox might even take a bit of damage as well if left in the open. Heck, your windows might break and take hull damage to your surface base if ever. Would be nice as an on-and-off option in difficulty settings.

My only argument here is that I don't think the game design encourages us to spend a lot of time on the surface snow anyways. You can choose to, but building a base is much more challenging. There are no land creatures to hunt technically, and exposure to being out door is much more risky than being underwater. Take "The Long Dark" for example.

Lastly, immersion is the last thing this game gets right anyways, even worst underwater than on land. The fact that Robin doesn't get any Pressure Sickness from rising too fast from the deep, or get any nitrogen narcosis from driving too fast down is just a few. The fact that it can get really cold on the surface, yet one dip onto the icy water and her temperature normalizes is also a head-scratcher. I could go on. hehehe.
  • DawnheartDawnheart Join Date: 2021-06-21 Member: 271438Members
    rcf31415 wrote: »
    BallonBoy wrote: »
    Nah.

No the benefit to gameplay is increased difficulty and sense of dread. if they make hail storms less frequent and do minimal damage gives a sense of dread without being a major hindrance. Also the pda gives you a weather warning and plenty of caves. I was halfway through my playthrough before I realized that they did nothing but make you freeze faster. cowering in a snowstalker den with my flare in hand was very thematic. when I realized they did nothing it broke the immersion.

That said if this is implemented devs make hail storms less frequent and have the player take around 30 damage if they are out for the whole storm... just enough to make us fear them but not enough to get annoying.
    Suthai wrote: »
    I like the idea of Hail Damage in Addition to the Increased Hypothermia risk. The Snowfox might even take a bit of damage as well if left in the open. Heck, your windows might break and take hull damage to your surface base if ever. Would be nice as an on-and-off option in difficulty settings.

My only argument here is that I don't think the game design encourages us to spend a lot of time on the surface snow anyways. You can choose to, but building a base is much more challenging. There are no land creatures to hunt technically, and exposure to being out door is much more risky than being underwater. Take "The Long Dark" for example.

Lastly, immersion is the last thing this game gets right anyways, even worst underwater than on land. The fact that Robin doesn't get any Pressure Sickness from rising too fast from the deep, or get any nitrogen narcosis from driving too fast down is just a few. The fact that it can get really cold on the surface, yet one dip onto the icy water and her temperature normalizes is also a head-scratcher. I could go on. hehehe.
    Boff wrote: »
    those hail stones look big man, it would be immersive if they did some "ai, ee, ooh" damage to Robin. What do you think?

HOLY SMOKES!! Imagine running out to get on your snowfox and you realize everything is wrecked!!! LOL!