Life Pod wants some attenion too and misc. Updates

KrelkKrelk Wisconsi Join Date: 2017-09-27 Member: 233269Members
The life pod is SO underutilized and could be a huge help in the game without creating a redundency issue or same O same O kinda feel to the other already in place equipment if it were done. Here we go..
1. Life pod has upgrade slots that will allow it for multi purpose use while exploring the begining sections of the game. Upgrades would be found in the other destroyed lifepods to get it back to full functionality. Also all upgrades would be visible on the Pod. For example if you upgrade it to be a "portable scanner room" you see the radar dish outside.
Upgrade options:
A. Mobile scanner Room w/1 bot: the screen inside converts to a scanner screen.
B. Allow the pod to go underwater (the inflatable bags that keep it afloat stow back into the pod and some kind of prop pops out for thrust.
C. Flat platform ontop be built for storage use and steering column.
D. Expand battery capacity
E. If submersible be able to dock in moonpool for more moding and personal detailing.
F. Follow you ontop the water and offer active sonar and deploy defensive counter measures, and light flares if in a follow/defense mode.

2. Cyclops has original port slot for seamoth and right behind it another porthole for the prawn. But for the back slot its a magnetic ended tow line like the grapple arm for the prawn that attatches to it and pulls it in when you are close and lowers it for release.
3. Where the cameras are POV's should have a Camera eye visible on the hud that looks like the scanner bot on the cyclops.
4. Also the cyclops should have a scanner room attatchment and the bots to use.
5. Use the programming for the cuddle fish friend and give that to the scanner bots to follow you while your in range for lighting around you and discovery of item purposes. Also in general a "stay or come home" feature for the bots would be great.

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I always thought the lifepod was intentionally redundant to encourage you to build bases and submarines.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Um... the Cyclops only has one docking bay...
  • KrelkKrelk Wisconsi Join Date: 2017-09-27 Member: 233269Members
    Yes correct, what I was trying to say is that it could fit both seamoth and prawn and have two hatches in the bay...
    It’d be too big to effectively navigate anywhere but the open ocean like that.
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    I suspect the starting lifepod is limited in part so you're incentivized to build your own base. After all, base-building is a significant fraction of the game.
    edited July 2018
    Yes that is true... Thats why I suggested it could be utilized for the beggining part in shallow waters and around the auroura and Islands.. You still need to build bases around all the mid to great depth areas.
    Krelk wrote: »
    Yes that is true... Thats why I suggested it could be utilized for the beggining part in shallow waters and around the auroura and Islands.. You still need to build bases around all the mid to great depth areas.

It's not just about location, but utility. By the time one wants a scanner and more storage space, one really should be building at least a small seabase. Subnautica is quite clever about nudging players to start building as they outgrow the lifepod.
    I guess I should say that with my idea and want for more to happen with the life pod I am in agreement and understanding that the life pod is just ment to help get you started but since the basis of the game is to upgrade and augment other tech and equipment. Then it should be considered as a potentially relevent point that even the life pod could be retrofitted or changed to adapt to the environment it landed in while still keeping to the point you want gamers to go out and explore the game.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    edited August 2018
    It certainly would be cool to upgrade the lifepod. But, I gotta agree with the other users, the lifepod is intentionally limited. The whole point of it being awful at what it does is to basically *force* you to figure out base building.

Also, these are pretty terrible lifepods; the community here often refers to them as deathpods. They're so bad at saving lives that nobody from the Aurora made it except for you. Hell, if you'd woken up just a few seconds later you would have been dead from smoke inhalation.

HOW DOES A LIFEPOD CATCH ON FIRE?!
    Yeah... Alterra couldn’t spare the credits to put parachutes on them for some reason.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Altera is like Aperture Science. They don't care about your safety
    Altera is like Aperture Science. They don't care about your safety

There's certainly some implicit criticism of corporatocracy, yeah.
    I get and agree that the Life Pod is supposed to be intentionally limited to make you go out and explore but still would be nice to be able to do something more with it.