How to attempt recovery from a corrupted save (power outage, crashes, etc)

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
edited January 2019 in Subnautica General Discussion
Use Piriform Recuva (or a similar data recovery software that has the option to recover non-deleted / corrupted files)

Set it similar to the following but use *.json or *.bin, depending (you can also specify a path, eg "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0002\*.bin" (.bin files) or *.json (.json files) or *.* (everything)

Recuva > Cancel Wizard > Select drive at top-right > select (optional) path and select file type (type them in the top-right under "Filename or path") > click "Options" > click "Actions" tab > select "Search for non-deleted files (for recovery from damaged or reformatted disks)" > Click "OK" > click "Scan" in the top-middle
3ZY5n.png

As a reminder (or primer for those who don't know) you will need these 4 files to make a complete save (screenshot.jpg can be replaced by a blank dummy or other .jpg renamed to screenshot.jpg, but a file named screenshot.jpg does need to be present in the slot00xx folder for the save to appear in the saved games list)
  • gameinfo.json
  • global-objects.bin
  • scene-objects.bin
  • screenshot.jpg (<- that's the little thumbnail showing you a preview of the save when you go to load)

Found this info in the following thread: https://superuser.com/questions/377904/recover-file-corrupted-due-to-power-cut-off

Questions / success celebration stories / tearful farewell ceremonies to save files irretrievably lost to the deep abyss, please post below!

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I'll be honest, I didn't understand any of it, but it sounds smart. It's very nice of you to post somthing like this for people who's saves got corrupted.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I'll be honest, I didn't understand any of it, but it sounds smart. It's very nice of you to post somthing like this for people who's saves got corrupted.

The picture makes it a lot easier to understand. I put the text step for those who can follow that faster. The main thing is to check the "Search for non-deleted files (for recovery from damaged or reformatted disks)" in the "Actions" tab, which is under the "Options" button.
  • TheHateLordTheHateLord Join Date: 2021-05-31 Member: 270918Members
    edited May 2021
    Hi. I tried, but ... it didn't work out. (I tried to do that with saves of Subnautica: Below Zero). Maybe I've did something wrong? Like I recovered files in the same folder, but maybe I must recover them in the other or something else... Help me please...
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Which files were recovered? You might be able to get the save working by starting a new game, and copy the recovered files into that save.
    4 files were recovered (gameinfo.json
    global-objects.bin
    scene-objects.bin
    screenshot.jpg).
    I tried to copy the recovered files into the new game save, but it didn't work out again(
    edited June 2021
    It's ok, I've solved the problem by using command chkdsk /f С: (if your saves on the disk C).
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's ok, I've solved the problem by using command chkdsk /f С: (if your saves on the disk C).

Ah, yes, file system corruption, if that's your problem, and if chkdsk can fix it (usually) you're set.