(NS2 Basics) Alien Vision -

KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
Okay, I see a lot of discussion around which alien vision is better/worse and all the custom settings that some people use, so, I figured i'd pitch in and show off the AV I made for people to use as/how they want.

The benefits of using my alien vision is that it totally declutters your screen, getting rid of all unnecessary visuals and making it VERY easy to spot the important things (structures, marines, powernodes etc). This is especially true at a longer range, making marines stand out much more than with other AVs.

The cons are almost non-existant, other than one... Glass... Glass doesn't show up, so you need to know where windows etc are, because if you don't you will slam into "invisible walls" a LOT.

This is the alien vision -
20171108194544_1.jpg

These are the setting to achieve said alien vision -
20171108194305_1.jpg
20171108194309_1.jpg

The grey needs to be between 20 - 20 - 20 and 50 - 50 - 50 (personal preference) but they need to be equal.
The Orange/Red is 255 - 45 - 0

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    There are more cons to this Alien vision (AV).

It basically completely disables your colour vision so things that are highlighted by colours are almost invisible that way.

For example you are not able to see if a gorge tunnel is "blueprint" is red or green (meaning if it can be placed or not). For that you can temporarily disable the AV though.

Lights that highlight something (like vent entrances) are not visible that way so you need to know where the vent entrances are by heart.

This AV is not suited for navigating in unknown environments/maps

If you know the map very well then I haven't been able to find a better AV than this one though.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I use Minimal Alien Vision. It leaves colors mostly the same and highlights structures and enemies. However it takes away from the immersion of being an alien. Not as cool but it doesnt make me feel like I'm tripping on acid.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use a similar alien vision and people say they hate my alien vision when they see it.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    With the AV above I like to imagine I am a bat and have echo location :tongue:
    Nintendows wrote: »
    I don't like alien visions that coloured your team the same as the other team, so I made my own based on the default alien vision:
    FmlKeBu.jpg
    E2egfRP.jpg

It still has the same old glass problem, but it's not so bad. Not sure how you could fix it.

Dude thats awesome! I didnt even know you could do that@ Going to try this out next time I am online
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nintendows wrote: »
    I don't like alien visions that coloured your team the same as the other team, so I made my own based on the default alien vision:
    FmlKeBu.jpg
    E2egfRP.jpg

It still has the same old glass problem, but it's not so bad. Not sure how you could fix it.

I would so like to have different colors like that for my alien vision. Bright red For enemies, and a dark green for friendlies.

@Kasharic Here are some screenshots of my somewhat similar alien vision that it seems like everyone but me hates.
    8kOH540.jpg
    65RH02p.jpg
    (Yes an onos in the rafters. A gorge had some well placed clogs that got me there)

My alien vision is meant to be very high contrast, and make it so that my target is the only thing that stands out on my screen. I have always thought of it as as homing vision.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2018
    I like the Idea of having two colours for both teams, but sadly it's not implemented in ns2+.

I tried to go for a relatively dark environment too, but since I use Magentas Cross as a Crossair and I have the HP/Energybar set at the center of the screen I use a darker green for Marines so I can still see my HP/Energy while looking at enemies and see my Crossair well at all times. The big "edges" help to differentiate between the players better, if there are is a big blob of players :-)

Having my Transparent Map open while being fighting doesn't block my view at all. (Settings for Map)

Alienvision:
    F0ien_KwRk_z9NGTnODs8g.png
    OboSbb5zQ4yQlZCcDGOMZg.png
    @Nordic I really like yours. It has a primal / killer feel to it. Imagine if you could get the red to a really deep red color. That would be disturbing but awesome!
    edited March 2018
    skav2 wrote: »
    @Nordic I really like yours. It has a primal / killer feel to it. Imagine if you could get the red to a really deep red color. That would be disturbing but awesome!

Adjust my settings to your preference.
    43L7Wcu.jpg
    Oh damn, thats a dark red bro. Everything is going to look like a horror movie and I LOVE IT! trying it out tonight
    I only got nudes, will that suffice?
    I wanted a bright red to make marines stand out, but the dark green that handschuh has would be perfect for friendlies.

@Nin please consider modding NS2Plus to allow us to set enemies and friendlies different colors.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    I wanted a bright red to make marines stand out, but the dark green that handschuh has would be perfect for friendlies.

@Nin please consider modding NS2Plus to allow us to set enemies and friendlies different colors.

https://github.com/sclark39/NS2Plus/pull/72

no need, it's been waiting for approval since december 6th
    edited March 2018
    I forgot that once Mendasp left, NS2+ receives next to no attention. Only 4 pull requests untouched in the last 3 months isn't too bad though.
    @Mephilles wxt0swmsbatq.jpg
    Idk y but i like this one a lot with the blue
    might be my weird colour vision but the hive looks more like a magenta (crayola) and the RT in the back more actual red
    No you are totally correct. I have a TN screen so colors arent so good when I was looking at it. The red I used was like 75 so it was darker but that may have affected how the red looked. I figured lowering the color number would be like making it darker. As far as the RT Im not sure why it looks to be a different color LOL.

I originally tried the black white and red to make it a horror like theme but it only came out as washed out environment with some light red structures. Couldnt quite get it right so i started messing with the colors for like an hour and really dig the blue and red. I also really liked the green environment with black or Pink structures.
    edited March 2018
    I have a TN screen. Have you tried searching for the correct color profiles @skav2 . Some review website had correct color profiles for my monitor already made for nvidia or amd. They had them for a lot of different monitors. My monitors colors used to suck.
    I have the Acer 248q? or something like that. Its an old monitor and even with a color profile its not very good. I plan to upgrade after I get a new GPU. Market is terrible atm but seems to be recovering. Will probably get a 1070 / 1080 if the price is right.
  • StupidStupid Join Date: 2018-06-03 Member: 241104Members
    I use the blue option, although the best contrast would be the original imo, but a small map detail will be missed and I'd get hung up and die over it. I often wonder why the crawl surface doesn't just get altered to match the alien vission crawl surface or vice versa. I guess that's just the way maps are created and coded.