(Question for the devs) Will Pre-1.0 Saves Continue to Work After Release?

NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
1.0 is coming out soon, so I've started to play and make decent progress before the update hits. I have one small question for the devs which is will pre-1.0 saves still work? Will they be bugged or have framerate issues. In the past I've been willing to make a new save for every major update, but that was a year ago. Subnautica has very low replay value and I've played it about twenty times and never been able to use the save after an update about half the time. Will I have to create a new game when 1.0 comes out?

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    1.0 is coming out soon, so I've started to play and make decent progress before the update hits. I have one small question for the devs which is will pre-1.0 saves still work? Will they be bugged or have framerate issues. In the past I've been willing to make a new save for every major update, but that was a year ago. Subnautica has very low replay value and I've played it about twenty times and never been able to use the save after an update about half the time. Will I have to create a new game when 1.0 comes out?

I think I heard that the rocket update (1.0) is save friendly so I think you're good to go when the rocket is out of the black list and available for everyone
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    "Subnautica has very low replay value"
    "I've played it about twenty times"

:)

• cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    I get what the OP is saying. It's long since become a tedious exercise for me when I know I have to start over and recollect all the fragments and rebuild my bases over again.
    I LOVE the gameplay. I just hate redoing the beginning over again sooo many times. Which is why I've put the game down until it releases.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited January 2018
  • jamcorryjamcorry Join Date: 2018-01-19 Member: 235223Members
    I would also like to know the answer to this so I can start playing a new file this weekend. Can anyone confirm?
  • RocketRocket Join Date: 2018-01-14 Member: 235036Members
    This is not an MMO, nor any other kind of online RPG. There is no valid reason for them to reset your progress. Play on.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Rocket wrote: »
    This is not an MMO, nor any other kind of online RPG. There is no valid reason for them to reset your progress. Play on.
    i think it was pretty clear that he was asking about technical problems that would make older saves invalid
  • RocketRocket Join Date: 2018-01-14 Member: 235036Members
    The IQ of an individual is directly correlated to their willingness to argue on the internet.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Until an official answer is given by the devs, I'd err on the side of safety and say no.

I want to play this weekend too, but I don't want to start over if something weird happens.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I'm pretty sure I've heard streamers say the devs have confirmed your saves are golden at this point. Ask @Obraxis to be sure, of course.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    I must be the only one who loves the beginning of this game.
    I've gone through about 27 restarts since the first time I played it and will probably go through several more before I get tired of it.

Even though I've got just about everything memorized up to just before the rocket, I still love to swim around and find the stuff I need each and every time.

<shrug>
    B)
  • GameSageGameSage Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235086Members
    i think the reason that some updates break saves is because information gets rewritten in a way that conflicts with what was in the current save file. For example, when the eye candy update happened and everyone had to start over, think of it this way: if you had torpedoes and loaded torpedo launchers, your save game would say that you have a torpedo launcher that is 4x4 storage or 16 squares. torpedoes the day before were 2x2 or 4 squares, with the launchers being able to hold a max of 4. Then the launchers got reconfigured into a 4x3 grid and the torpedoes were changed to 1 wide and 2 tall on the grid. Also the recipe for vortex torps was changed from 2 titanium to 1 titanium and 1 magnetite. These changes, for example, would conflict with what was in that save file. Its a common thing in games that what ever loads last takes priority in your game world when different things alter the same variable.

That being said, the game data loads first, then your save, which has the old data. You go to make a set of torpedoes, and now you got the save and the game in conflict over how those torpedoes are going to be created.

I don't know if that makes sense to any of the rest of you, but that's just one possibility why any major thing that gets changed causes major problems, is having conflicting data trying to take control, and your computer trying to make the best of it without crashing the game entirely.
  • Mongo_SmashMongo_Smash Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235278Members
    Adding my meek voice to the request for an answer. If I start playing a new game today, do the devs believe the save will work post 1.0? Would very much like to start a new run, but not if I'll just be re-starting in a few days. Thanks in advance for any guidance, devs! :)