Nominate NS2 for the "labor of love" steam award.

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,170 Advanced user
http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/
The “Labor of Love” Award

This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the first unveiling of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years.

Seems appropriate!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/Natural_Selection_2/

MousepSyk0mAnSquishpokePOOPFACEKasharicBeigeAlertSupaFredFoxy

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user
    Last year, the "Test of Time" award was given to Skyim, FFS. And the other category winners didn't fare much better.
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,308 Advanced user
    "Hey, I should make a thread abo- Ah. Well."

Already done!
    Last year, the "Test of Time" award was given to Skyim, FFS. And the other category winners didn't fare much better.

Skyrim is one of the most overhyped games of all time, yeah...
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

Check out my new Balance Mod
    coolitic.trixX.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members Posts: 1,663 Advanced user
    I kind of want to, but I'm not a big fan of many of the non-optimization changes that have happened since UWE came back.
    When life gives you lemons, throw it back and demand chocolate.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,742 admin
    coolitic wrote: »
    I kind of want to, but I'm not a big fan of many of the non-optimization changes that have happened since UWE came back.

If you were running for "labor of love", we'd vote for you.
    Foxycoolitic
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user

Don't be a spoilsport, together we can vote for NS2, bam that's two votes right there
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    Kouji_San
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 2,615 Advanced user
    It's a popularity contest so while I think NS2 and many other games would fit into those categories, it's just going to be the most popular mainstream games getting all the rewards.
    NordicBeigeAlertSquishpokePOOPFACE
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter Posts: 354 Advanced user
    edited November 23
    Hi Charlie :) I'd just like to interject for a moment that the original developers Unknown Worlds<-- and all those involved had <b>almost abandoned NS2 to make a multi-million dollar game subnautica, don't forget they left the game riddled with bugs and broken features, i would only nominate NS2 because it's a lifestyle not a game and that i could look past all of this, but in the sense of it being good parents, well that's somewhat true because they did lend a helping hand to a certain few but by no means did they directly implement these features, that was mostly community team members.
    IPB Image Constellation - a great source of income :> http://www.netplanet.co.nz/ns/
    .trixX.KasharicSoul_RiderBeigeAlert
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,947 Advanced user
    edited November 23
    You can't win a popularity contest based on public votes, the only way to get close to a fair evaluation for these kind of categories is to have independent/non-sponsored game reviewers try and give their unbiased opinion of which games are the best.

The average gamer has no idea about the gems out there hidden in the lands lacking the marketing cannons of the big hype games

Don't be a spoilsport, together we can vote for NS2, bam that's two votes right there

You optimistic bastard you, I love it!

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

SquishpokePOOPFACE.trixX.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,170 Advanced user
    We can at least aim for runner up. ;-)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,947 Advanced user
    edited November 24
    There's even a write-in, so we can expect to see:

"Best FPS" GTA V

"Best graphics" 7 Days to Die

"Best story" Overwatch

"Best single-player campaign" DOTA 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

Existence Unknown

SquishpokePOOPFACE
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,308 Advanced user
    edited November 24

"Best FPS" GTA V PUBG

"Best graphics" 7 Days to Die PUBG

"Best story" Overwatch PUBG

"Best single-player campaign" DOTA 2 PUBG

PUBG
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

Check out my new Balance Mod
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 624 Advanced user
    Vetinari wrote: »

"Best FPS" GTA V PUBG

PUBG

*smacks @Vetinari around with a large pan*
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    coolitic
    edited November 24
    .trixX. wrote: »

"Best FPS" GTA V PUBG

PUBG

Butt pans are the most amazing weapon in history of gaming, even the BFG9000 has nothing on it..

In terms of most memorable weapons, I mean check it out
    • DooM 2 has the BFG9000 and Super Shotgun
    • Quake has the Rocket Launcher
    • Half-Life has the crowbar with 2 having the gravity gun
    • Duke has his mighty foot and I guess, the triple barrel Chaingun Cannon
    • Aliens vs Predator (2) has the M41A Pulse Rifle
    • Unreal has the Redeemer (Kinda the rocket launcher from Rise of the Triad)
    • Redline Gang warfare2066 had that one weapon with all other weapons integrated, which was just a cool idea
    • Natural Selection has the HMG and the Skulk Bite "mouthcam"
    • And now we have PUBG, with it's... Butt pan...
      • Oh how gaming has evolved :trollface:

Existence Unknown

coolitic
    Kouji_San wrote: »

"Best FPS" GTA V PUBG

PUBG

Butt pans are the most amazing weapon in history of gaming, even the BFG9000 has nothing on it..
    23b.jpg

Now I wanna see Doomguy shoot his BFG9000 at a butt pan PUBG scrub :D

Existence Unknown

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 624 Advanced user

"Best FPS" GTA V PUBG

PUBG

23b.jpg

Now I wanna see Doomguy shoot his BFG9000 at a butt pan PUBG scrub :D

I daresay, BRINGITON!
    0u4x5v3xga4l.jpg
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    Kouji_SanThe_Welsh_Wizard