Introduce sleeping & solar power recharge using lifepod?

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
Rather than having magical self-sustaining power cells, (although, maybe they're charged with some variant of that diamond Carbon-14 nuclear battery, lol) how about making them actually charge in the sun? And then letting you sleep for half a night at a time in your seat? Just an idea, probably too late to do this before v1.0 anyways.

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I totally agree with this idea (and have agreed with similar things in the past).

Putting solar on the lifepod makes perfect sense. Being able to sleep in the pod to skip the night would be nice as well. I would also like to see some sort of sleep mechanic added to the other survival needs, although that would likely require a lot of other changes and some new items like a cot or other compact bed that could be built in just a corridor.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2017
    Well then. Totally didn't notice this (gotta start a new save for it to take effect?) EDIT: BUT, notice what happens after welding the panel shut (2nd screenshot):

34ni0dz.jpg

After welding panel:

2s6rk7m.jpg
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Just started a new game tonight and mine isn't doing this. I feel left out now. :(
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    In my last game, building a radio outside the life pod restored main power. :)
    Just started a new game tonight and mine isn't doing this. I feel left out now. :(

What build?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Rather than having magical self-sustaining power cells, (although, maybe they're charged with some variant of that diamond Carbon-14 nuclear battery, lol) how about making them actually charge in the sun? And then letting you sleep for half a night at a time in your seat? Just an idea, probably too late to do this before v1.0 anyways.

Swap out "self-sustaining power cells" to supercapacitors and that much is fixed. The pod has a low-output power source (diamond cell batteries work fine there) that recharge the caps. Run too many fab jobs and the caps deplete, so you have to wait for them to trickle-charge back up. One text line changed and problem solved.

As for sleeping in the pod's seat...

...please, for the love of everything holy, allow this to be done. I can't tell you how many times I've spent a game night sitting on top of LP5, watching the Aurora burn, because I wasn't about to spend batteries on a flashlight and/or couldn't get done what I wanted to do in the dark. Once you have a base with a bed, you're fine, but until then, I end up sitting on top of the stupid pod like some wetsuited vulture waiting for the sun to rise.

And it wouldn't take a tremendous amount of effort; make the seat an activation object like the bed. I'd even be happy without animations - just fade to black and fade back in again.

I'd be thrilled. I'd sacrifice a cutefish to the developers in thanks. Or a peeper. Or a six-pack, which I think might go over better.
    Devs might want you to experience night time though.

I have experienced a midnight swim. That's why I spend the night clinging to the roof of my lifepod, white-knuckling it until daybreak. ;)
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    The pod sleep system could be a thing you unlock. So you still have to experience night swimming. Make it that you need the habitat builder, disassemble the two seats, reconfig them into a cot/hammock.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I find it can get darker during an eclipse than it does during actual night. Gives me flashbacks to the time they did away with O2 alerts. . . what a nightmare that was!
  • MurpfullMurpfull Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216640Members
    Yea, it would be cool if you could add special additions to upgrade the life-pod.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    The pod sleep system could be a thing you unlock. So you still have to experience night swimming. Make it that you need the habitat builder, disassemble the two seats, reconfig them into a cot/hammock.
    edited November 2017

That would be difficult, if not outright impossible without substantial time investment. The lifepod model is pretty much a solid piece; only the locker lid and seat crash bar are unique to the model yet separate pieces. (The fabricator, medkit fabber, and comm relay are also separate-but-included objects, but these exist as separate entities in the game.) In order to remove one or both seats, it'd be necessary to re-mesh the model.

Besides, from an in-game standpoint, if you were marooned on a watery alien world, how willing would you be to taking a saw to your lifeboat? Heck, in a lifeboat on Earth you'd be pretty unlikely to start major modifications. It's easier to sleep in an uncomfortable chair. (Trust me on that.) :)

That would be difficult, if not outright impossible without substantial time investment. The lifepod model is pretty much a solid piece; only the locker lid and seat crash bar are unique to the model yet separate pieces. (The fabricator, medkit fabber, and comm relay are also separate-but-included objects, but these exist as separate entities in the game.) In order to remove one or both seats, it'd be necessary to re-mesh the model.

Besides, from an in-game standpoint, if you were marooned on a watery alien world, how willing would you be to taking a saw to your lifeboat? Heck, in a lifeboat on Earth you'd be pretty unlikely to start major modifications. It's easier to sleep in an uncomfortable chair. (Trust me on that.) :)

I'm not taking a saw to Lifepod 5. I'd take Lifepod 4 back to 5. Use those floaters to flip it upright, dive reel to tie it to a Seamoth. Or make like 10 seaglides. Than convert that to my bedroom. If we where in real life. I'd have the will to sleep whatever way I'd want. The game doesn't let me do that. I can't click the floor and hit sleep. I'm also not talking about them adding this stuff into the game now. These ideas are for potential DLC or Post 1.0 content.

I'm not taking a saw to Lifepod 5. I'd take Lifepod 4 back to 5. Use those floaters to flip it upright, dive reel to tie it to a Seamoth. Or make like 10 seaglides. Than convert that to my bedroom. If we where in real life. I'd have the will to sleep whatever way I'd want. The game doesn't let me do that. I can't click the floor and hit sleep. I'm also not talking about them adding this stuff into the game now. These ideas are for potential DLC or Post 1.0 content.

If you're going to put that much effort into it, you'd just do better to build a microbase and be done with it. Having to salvage another lifepod, drag it across the ocean, and repair it really rather defeats the purpose of "I need an early-game, easy way to sleep through the night."
    Inflatable mattress in lifepod locker, which sleeps upon click after LP is repaired, or something (saves animation and rigging the models up).
    Inflatable mattress in lifepod locker, which sleeps upon click after LP is repaired, or something (saves animation and rigging the models up).

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Perfect solution.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I would be totally in favor of sleeping mechanics if there also was a fatigue mechanic. Working like hunger and thirsty, draining itself overtime and draining faster while performing straining activities such as swimming.

Guess I'll have to wait for a mod...
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I would be totally in favor of sleeping mechanics if there also was a fatigue mechanic. Working like hunger and thirsty, draining itself overtime and draining faster while performing straining activities such as swimming.

Guess I'll have to wait for a mod...

Well, we already have a sleep mechanic. :) Skipping night - which, thanks to the much-too-fast day cycle comes too often - was a popular addition back when it was added. We're just talking about creating a default option in addition to the existing need to find a bed to scan and build.

That said, I'm sure at least one modder has this on his/her radar.

If you're going to put that much effort into it, you'd just do better to build a microbase and be done with it. Having to salvage another lifepod, drag it across the ocean, and repair it really rather defeats the purpose of "I need an early-game, easy way to sleep through the night."

I was talking about real life. i was giving examples. The easiest would be to just ripoff the foam from the seats and sleep on the floor.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited November 2017

But what about staying awake for 200+ days with no long-term psychological issues? We need oxygen to live, and if we dehydrate or starve we'll eventually die. I find it fascinating that Survival mode encompasses Oxygen, Food and Water management, but apparently we're insane zombie insomniacs... :flushed:

I know it's been requested before, but I have to emphasize the importance of rest and fatigue in Survival mode. If the game emulates the basic biological requirements necessary for real life, then we absolutely need to sleep as well; otherwise then the Food/Water requirements might as well be removed.

Games like Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon and The Sims implement needing to sleep in addition to the other requirements needed to maintain a healthy, daily regimen. In Subnautica, this could be employed by another meter in the clover display. When standing around, the meter would deplete slowly, but swimming or other actions would deplete it faster. As it nears running out, your character is hit with fatigue - the screen turns blurry and movement speed is reduced. When it's empty, the player is exhausted and they run the risk of falling asleep (the screen dimming similar to blacking out from lack of oxygen) but this would happen anywhere. When asleep time would accelerate (even moreso than it does now, ha!) until 8 game-hours have passed, then time returns to normal and you'll wake up refreshed and ready to go.

If you're in your base or on land and pass out, you'll sleep right there - but if you're underwater then you'll drown before you wake up. This would also give another use for the Air Bladder: if you're about to pass out and are too far from home, just turn it on and sleep like a baby (floating in water) :open_mouth:

TL;DR: Staying awake forever is silly when we die from lack of nourishment, implement sleeping as a necessary gameplay mechanic. :sleeping:
    This would also provide an actual use for Coffee cups - puts sleep meter back a tiny fraction + freezes it's progress + disables blackouts for 30-60 in game minutes. Next cup has effect reduced by a third, and the next cup, diminishing by thirds until, at say, 5 cups there is no effect other than disabling blackouts for 5 in-game minutes, which can only be done 3 times.

Thoughts?
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Games like Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon and The Sims implement needing to sleep in addition to the other requirements needed to maintain a healthy, daily regimen.

Don't forget Don't Starve, where the longer you go without sleep, the lower your sanity drops until your mild hallucinations get severe enough to attack you.