bike?

creepjaxcreepjax michigan Join Date: 2017-10-04 Member: 233388Members
a idea i had was to make some kind or underwater car or bike so you can go around the world collection items as you go like the P.R.A.W.N. but faster and with wheels

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    creepjax wrote: »
    a idea i had was to make some kind or underwater car or bike so you can go around the world collection items as you go like the P.R.A.W.N. but faster and with wheels

I just imagined the PRAWN on a bicycle :D

But, just a question... What would this add that the Seamoth already doesn't do, it is kinda an underwater car, right..
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Kinda just sounds like a more limited seamoth.
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    edited October 2017
    What the f*** im confused
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Mythbusters tried it. Biking underwater doesn't work well. Biking underwater on sand is an even worse idea. On the upside, though, the Reapers would benefit from the extra iron in their diet.

The closest we have to a "bike" is the Seaglide, and a DPV is really all you need to get around for short-to-moderate distances. And, like a bike, you can use a DPV to travel long distances, provided you have spare batteries.

If it's about trundling the PRAWN around, well, you've found the trade-off for the PRAWN's durability and mining usefulness - it's slower than a snail on a salt bed. :)
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    it's slower than a snail on a salt bed. :)
    The PRAWN feels very clunky and weak, the Seamoth is your only choice. i understand op, asking for more vehicles and personally expected around a 20 vehicles myself, since were in 3rd millennium !
    have a variety of walkers, minisubs, subs, boats, ships :D, jetskis, gliders.
    In a game that doesnt future any weapons, imo, at least, you should have plenty other stuff.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Kostriktor wrote: »
    it's slower than a snail on a salt bed. :)
    The PRAWN feels very clunky and weak, the Seamoth is your only choice. i understand op, asking for more vehicles and personally expected around a 20 vehicles myself, since were in 3rd millennium !
    have a variety of walkers, minisubs, subs, boats, ships :D, jetskis, gliders.
    In a game that doesnt future any weapons, imo, at least, you should have plenty other stuff.

*looks at post*

*looks at complete list of developers*

*glares @Kostriktor *

Yeah that's a nope, unless you can clone more devs :tongue:
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    kingkuma wrote: »

We already have something better, though, King: the seaglide.

Those little "personal submersibles" are really just a step-around for rules governing SCUBA diving. Basically, they enable someone who doesn't have a SCUBA certificate to go on very, very limited dives at very low speeds - much slower than a DPV will tow you. It's a $17,000 bubble with a saddle and a really crappy thruster. Anchovies will pass you. Hell, barnacles will pass you. (Not a joke: juvenile stages of barnacles, the naupilus and cyprid stages, are mobile. Adults are stuck in place, but before that phase, they're on the move to find a good home.)

We, the intrepid rulers of 4546B, are already exceptional divers, and the Seaglide would be able to run circles around a Scuba-Doo. (Frankly, the Seaglide looks a lot like a Sea-Doo VS, although that sucker is only rated to 100ft and doesn't have anywhere near the speed of a Seaglide.)

Long story short: A Scuba-Doo equivalent would be ten times the materials for one tenth the performance. :)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    kingkuma wrote: »

We already have something better, though, King: the seaglide.

Those little "personal submersibles" are really just a step-around for rules governing SCUBA diving. Basically, they enable someone who doesn't have a SCUBA certificate to go on very, very limited dives at very low speeds - much slower than a DPV will tow you. It's a $17,000 bubble with a saddle and a really crappy thruster. Anchovies will pass you. Hell, barnacles will pass you. (Not a joke: juvenile stages of barnacles, the naupilus and cyprid stages, are mobile. Adults are stuck in place, but before that phase, they're on the move to find a good home.)

We, the intrepid rulers of 4546B, are already exceptional divers, and the Seaglide would be able to run circles around a Scuba-Doo. (Frankly, the Seaglide looks a lot like a Sea-Doo VS, although that sucker is only rated to 100ft and doesn't have anywhere near the speed of a Seaglide.)

Long story short: A Scuba-Doo equivalent would be ten times the materials for one tenth the performance. :)

I meant in real life. I. WANT. ONE.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Fun project: Do an image search for DPV. Completely forget about underwater vehicles for at least a few seconds. XD
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    How about a battery powered backpack with a type of fan to help you go faster in the water it would be like a wearable seaglide or have two underwater fans on your arms like the x2 Sport ( jetpack) as far as a vehicle goes how about something like the seamoth but has an internal storage and the command chair to spin around to the cockpit.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Bike in water, you say? https://www.facebook.com/techinsider/videos/902582849940072/

Although this is more of a surface vehicle, so I guess @scifiwriterguy 's point is of course still valid for traversing the floor.
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    To be honest, I would be alright with an Alterra Jetski...