Creature idle/play animations

KitcheKitche Join Date: 2016-11-09 Member: 223771Members
So, I had a dream that I was exploring one of the wrecks right by the Aurora when a reaper poked his head in. I immediately jammed myself into a corner he couldn't reach into, so he sat and waited, playing with the sand using his mandible things. He wasn't roaring, just sitting quietly, knowing that I had to come out eventually. At one point, he got bored and poked around into my corner with his mandible, trying to spook me out.
Based on the PDA entry of reapers being stupid, waiting isn't really in their character, but reaching a mandible into your hidey-hole to try and scoop you out is. An animation ref could be putting a marble into a can you can't fit your hand into and trying to get it out with one finger.
This got me thinking about creatures doing things other than just roaming around for food. Maybe playing, sleeping, or doing like my dream Reaper did, waiting by the hole it's prey is in for it to come out. As far as environment interactions go, Sandsharks playing around the floater rocks, sitting on them to drift up, or grabbing a floater to play with. Crabsquids picking things off walls and eating them. Stalkers or bone sharks doing flips and jumping out of the water for the fun of it, show off to attract mates, or to chase nimble prey. Stalkers could grab lengths of creepvines for play, like tug-of-war, to line nests, or to hide their precious metal stashes.

The idea was pitched to reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/6olhos/creature_idle_animations_idea/

Comments