Cyclops Stasis Field

XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
I'm sort of disappointed with the shield the cyclops has. It doesn't really fit as an extension of the technology we've had before, it just sort of appears.

I'd prefer it if the technology in the cyclops matched that in other places, things we've already encountered and learned to use.

I'm therefore proposing that instead of a shield, the Cyclops gets a stasis field. The mechanics would be the same as the shield, but instead of a shield, it would create a stasis field, freezing everything in range, just as the stasis rifle does. You then have the choice of using that time productively, e.g. exiting the sub quickly and safely to do something, or running from attacking creatures.

Instead of a cool down, I'd have it draw a set amount of power (again as the Stasis rifle does). That way it becomes an exercise in resource management. You can statis field your way across the map, but you'd better bring a lot of power cells. If you're low on power... do you risk the statis field and running out of power, or do you risk a fire in your engines?

I think it would add more game play options.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Not a bad idea, I quite like it.

But I think that instead of replacing the shield, the stasis field should be added along with the other upgrades.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I suggested something like this some time ago. If the stasis shield would deplete half the power it could serve as an emergency escape mechanism. Right now the shield isn't much necessary at all. You can do everything without using it ever. And with the cooldown and the weak use it isn't much of a help anyways.

The only alternative to a bad shield we have in the game would be either this stasis shield or maybe an optical stealth shield that acts as a close distance hiding mechanism opposed to a long range accoustic silent running hiding mechanism.