[BUG] As soon as the underwater terrain shows up, the game freezes in DirectX 11 [WORKAROUND]

AlakryonAlakryon Hungary Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216268Members
edited February 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Hi,

If I play the game in DirectX 9 (using the -force-d3d9 startup parameter), there are no problems, except LOD artifacts on the terrain and some objects, when I am not set the graphics to max settings.
If I play the game in DirectX 11, the game freezes after a few seconds. At least until now, but I have found an interesting thing, see below, but first the logs:

DxDiag.txt: https://pastebin.com/vfGg5Yej
output_log.txt: https://pastebin.com/ZazVasCn

And now the interesting part.
I started the game in DirectX 9 set the graphic to full, and travelled to the Floating Island and make a save there.
Then I started up in DirectX 11 (did not change anything in the settings, only removed the startup parameter) to produce the logs above, and the game was running fine on the island, then I entered the water and still no problem, until I travelled back towards the escape capsule. As soon as the underwater terrain showed up, the game freezed again!

So until no underwater terrain is in the view, there was no problem at all!
I think it is an important info, maybe the terrain has a special, "too heavy" shader or it is another shader on some object on that terrain, which causes the issue.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2354750/#Comment_2354750
    landlubber wrote: »
    Crashfix? for me it did.

Hi mates!
    New user here, unable to open new topic, so i hijack this one since it has a similar problem on the same build.

I had the same, but often i got ingame for 1-4 mins before crashing, sometimes even locking up my PC completely... And i mean COMPLETELY. Never had a freeze so bad, even the ATX-RESET-Button didnt trigger anymore. Holy moly!
    Of course almost always it was just a crash to desktop, a few times a bluescreen and once this complete and utter lockup.

The crash reports are often a access violation in Subnautica.exe, but sometimes in nvwgf2umx.dll and in d3d11.dll which made me thinking... Of course i had the newest GeForce installed... But in some other boards i read especially for nvwgf2umx.dll that thos may be because of a not updated dll in the Driver-update. This DLL seems to be responsible for a lot of crashes in GTA4 and others... It seems to be a DX10 compatibility-DLL.
    A few suggest to use a good driver remover like the one from http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and remove the driver completely (in savemode) and then REINSTALL the driver so the DLL in question gets updated.
    Ahwell... Did that, what can it hurt...

Oh boy! It didnt hurt at all and now... Tadaaaa! No more crashes! Played over 2h and no crash whatsoever. Before, 3mins were a good time before crashing.

For references:
    Windows 10 64b
    Game: April 2017 47282
    Driver: GeForce 382.53 - WHQL force-removed and reinstalled

• AlakryonAlakryon Hungary Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216268Members
    It is not the same issue, and I have an ATI Radeon HD 6770 card, which is full DirectX 11.2 capable, on a Windows 10 OS which is DirectX 12 capable, but still the problem is there, and I can only run the game in a stable state when using the DirectX 9 mode .
    I have also tried to install a lot of drivers for it, tried the WHQL tested ones and also the Beta Crimson drivers, right now I am using the Crimson v16.2.1 drivers released at 2017, 27th of February.
    @landlubber What graphics card were you using?
    Anyone have an idea or solution to the problem on the top of this thread?
    - Tried to completely remove the dirver with DDU
    - Tried with all kinds of drivers from 2013 ones to the newest ones
    - Tried with the default drivers in Windows 10 coming from Microsoft Update
    - Tried to lower the GPU and VRAM clocks
    - Tried to alter TDRDelay in registry

But no solution under DirectX 11, when the underwater terrain comes into view, the game is freezing to death.
    The error message in event viewer is:
    "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Only the DirectX 9 mode is usable for me, but as I read, it will be disabled in the future, and also running slowly than the DirectX11 mode... :(
    You could try clearing your cache, it couldn't hurt at this point (in case the terrain is somehow corrupt or something).
    I forgot to write it in the list above, but I have also already cleared the cache, with no success. :(
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I have a GPU relatively identical to yours (i've got a Radeon HD 6870) and i often experienced issues similar to yours. Right now im playing the game on the Experimental version of the game and since a few days ive encountered 0 CTD. Not sure if its the Devs that snuck in a few optimizations in the experimental builds lately (i know i've personally done nothing different on my end)

If you're on the Stable version of the game you might want to try moving to the Experimental builds and see if that helps you in any way. Theres no guarantee it will but who knows :wink: Just remember that your gpu as well as mine are becoming pretty old and issues like that are to be ecpexted with newer games like this one, specially taking into account that subnautica is still in early access and it still need tons of optimization before its fit to be released officially. The devs are set to dedicate the next few months to heavy optimization, its to be hoped that some love will be sent in our direction for those older GPUs wer using.
    I have changed to experimental, and first it seemed it will work (I was so happy I praised your name), but sadly after a little more time (about 30 sec more), it freezes again, with the same error message, no matter if I try with an older save or starting a completely new one (in that case it did not even start, freezed after the first "press something to go on" like message on the black screen). :(
    So for me there is still no solution.
    Try DX 11 medium or low setting?
    All of the possible setting variations were tried, even turning off shadows completely from console.
    The problem is still there with the final version of the game.
    Sadly using DirectX 9 is not an option from now on, it ahs been removed, so the game is completely unplayable this way.
    It is no matter if I try to use OpenGL (using -force-opengl), DirectX 11, or using real fullscreen mode (using -window-mode exclusive), the game suddenly causes the graphics driver to recover, and then freezes because of that. No matter what detail level or resolution is used.
    :(
    It is very sad that there is a game which was bought for money, it worked before at least with DirectX 9 as a safe mode, and now, when the final version comes out, it is unplayable at all.
    I even did a complete OS reinstall now, before it was Windows 10, now I have installed Windows 7 just to test it, but the results are the same.
    It seems I have found a WORKAROUND.
    I have decreased the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, and used the low detail level, turned off everything except V-Sync, and used windowed mode.
    This way I can play for hours without a freeze.
    However I had a problematic part, outside at the Thermal Plant I had a save in my Cyclops, and if I loaded back that save, if I went into any direction in the sub for about 5 meters, the game freezed again. It was very frustrating.
    I have turned on the console, used "biome safe" to teleport out, then "warpme" to teleport back into the sub, and the 5 meter freeze issue was gone! :)
    So after that I had chance to finish the whole game, without freezes.
    I hope this help out some people who is a similar situation. :)
    Since you have 15 posts, you can now edit the OP to put *solved* and the solution in the OP, if you wish.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    This should help me with my repeated crash near a base/Cyclops in lost river. I fixed my last repeated freeze/crash by teleporting out and spawning a seamoth to get back, didn't even try warpme.
  • RazuulRazuul Join Date: 2018-02-28 Member: 238425Members
    Hijacking this thread since I cant make a new thread, and my issues is pretty similar.

Game runs around 100fps, fps drops every now and again when I load in new zones like the kelp forrest.
    But, when I entered the lost river, it drops from 100fps to 6, so have to come to a complete stop and wait for the lag to stop, then move 5m and the frames crashes again.
    It even lags so bad that that the straight up CTD without so much as an error message...

System Im running is a Ryzen 1300X, 8gb 3000ghz ram and a 1050ti.
    Tried to set all the settings to low, but nothing changed... So the game is pretty much unplayable for me now, cant proceed below the lost river...