[Bug] Player will take radiation damage while inside a PRAWN

mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
edited April 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
This in my opinion is a bug as it goes against the games lore. The flavor text for the PRAWN indicates that aside from deep sea operation it was originally designed for EVA activities and ship maintenance. As such the PRAWN would have basic radiation shielding to deal with the high levels of cosmic and solar radiation encountered in space. The PRAWN should provide adequate protection for the player when exploring the wreck site without requiring an additional radiation suit.

On a side note water is a great medium for slowing down neutrons making it easier for them to be captured by dense matter. Combined with the hull thickness needed for undersea pressures one would also think that base structures as well as the cyclops's hull would also protect from ambient radiation.

Comments

• DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    While an interesting idea gameplay-wise, it's a bit moot at the moment since most players acquire the PRAWN only after reaching the Aurora and by then they will also be patching up the reactor. If they added other areas with radiation, then I would imagine they would add radiation resistance to the suit.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    Another problem patching a reactor would not reduce the radiation level as the isotopes will have already dispersed in the water XD
  • SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members
    Oh? Well, I don't think the developers really care about science in that game. XD XD
  • aza9999aza9999 Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230064Members
    edited April 2017
    @mikeloeven When you patch up the reactors the ship broadcasts something about beginning decontamination procedures which will take three days. Go to 21:27 in this video

So obviously the ship is using some sci-fi magic to clean up the water - nanobots, anti radiation chemicals or something like that.