[Bug?] Unable to unlock Cyclops Fire Suppression System [47112]

chessmaster42chessmaster42 Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229846Members
So, I don't know if it is actually a bug or if there's a data box hidden so well that 6+ hours of searching can't locate it. Almost 25% of the time in this save has been spent just on this. I have collected the data boxes from the life pods as well as at least 8 major crash sites with no sign of one for the fire suppression module.

It's exhausting and frustrating spending so much time trying to get this cyclops module (I have unlocked all but this one) especially considering how useful the fire suppression system should be in the lava zones (which I've failed to explore due to unmanageable fire-fighting while just in the inactive zone).

Perhaps someone can help before I go insane?

Comments

• SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    I found 2 data boxes with this upgrade in my current Experimental save, but I can't really recall where. I think one of them was at the upper Grand Reef wreck, if you've explored the interior of that completely then I suggest broadening your search to a wide area of the seafloor around it as that particular wreck had a couple 'hidden' data boxes laying around it.

Another possible location was the Sparse Reef, again that one had a data box on the outside along with one on the inside.

Anyway I'm seeing two or three locations for each of the Cyclops upgrade blueprints, but there are just as many on the exterior of wrecks as there are on the interior, likely temporary so that if there are collision bugs blocking access to an interior-placed databox the player still has an opportunity to unlock an exterior-placed one :)
  • chessmaster42chessmaster42 Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229846Members
    Well, I spent another 3 hours tonight double checking all of the wrecks. Checked 20 wrecks and 18 data boxes (split between 11 of the wrecks). One data box hidden in a crevice at the blood kelp wreck had the fire suppression blueprint. Almost 10 hours spent to find this damn thing but so very glad one of the data boxes eventually had it. As I now know my game is not in fact bugged this thread can be closed.

Excuse me while I go scream into a pillow for half an hour to let out the frustration.
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    edited April 2017
    I spent (literally) 2 days looking for my 2nd (and final) exosuit drill arm fragment in my last Stable playthrough, just to have to resort to spawning one in. I know your pain.

I wonder if this means the blueprint in a data box is random now.

Anyway, I've been thinking about fragment distribution lately. There's a problem with too few fragments meaning certain blueprints won't be completed by a player, for not being able to find the last one. Then there's a problem with too many fragments leading to no challenge, such as finding 15 exosuit propulsion arms in one wreckage, ruining the challenge of finding those fragments.

I actually think the latter is a bigger problem, but the former can't be implemented as-is. There'd need to be something the players can rely on if they can't locate that final fragment, some method to guide them to that hidden crevice they'd overlooked..

Maybe the scanner room does this already, or maybe it'll be updated later to do it, I'm not sure since I haven't really intended to build one until my current playthrough. Last time I'd built a scanner room, its range was still uselessly short.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Sennera wrote: »

Maybe the scanner room does this already, or maybe it'll be updated later to do it, I'm not sure since I haven't really intended to build one until my current playthrough. Last time I'd built a scanner room, its range was still uselessly short.

Currently the scanner rooms range (around 200 meters if that with all range upgrades) makes it all but worthless unless you built fifty or more of the base pieces in various points across the map.

What might be handy is having the scanner room have some kind of heuristic computer model that can slowly finish the blueprints after x number of real world hours after you collect the first one? (Say 20 real world hours to start.)

Then as you collect more and more blueprint pieces the hours required for the computer for extrapolate and finish the blueprint based off available data shrinks until only 2-8 hours to finish compiling for the last missing piece of a blueprint?

This would eliminate the need for players to sink dozens of frustrating hours into hunting across the world, (without an in game map to easily tell where they've been and are going I might add) hunting for that last missing blue print piece, while still giving them motivation to go out searching for it so they don't have to sit and wait for the computer to finish the blueprint up for them.