Ending my frustrations with energy: Recycler module, Energy and food balance

almisamialmisami Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227094Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions

New Crafting Station
Recycler

Buildable crafting station.
The module should be large and unweildy, water-purifier-size at least, reactor-size at worst. Water purifier model could be used as placeholder.

Every craft costs 100 energy, this is advanced, energy intensive reprocessing.

New Crafting Recipes

Advanced Reprocessing ~Recycler~
  • Metal salvage > 6x Titanium
  • Blood Oil x2 > Benzene
  • Creepvine Seed Cluster x3 > 2x Lubricant
  • Titanium Ingot > 10x Titanium
  • Copper wire > 2x Copper
  • Lead Ingot > 10x Lead
  • Copper Ingot > 10x Copper
  • Gold Ingot > 10x Gold
  • Depleted Reactor Rod > Lead + Titanium + Nuclear Waste
  • Depleted Reactor Rod + uranium > Reactor rod + Uraninite
    (explained by using new uranium in the centrifuge to enrich the depleted mix)
    Edit: Scrapped due to overpowered nature.

Regular processing ~Fabricator~

[*] Blood Oil + 2 Lubricant + 2 Pink Cap > Biofuel
(explained by using whatever is in blood oil to break down oils so fungus can eat it.)

New Items
New item: Biofuel
2x2, Uses the Bottle model shared by Bleach and Lubricant, 500 energy.
Makes the Bioreactor water Yellow
Intended to introduce more non-food items as a source of fuel for bioreactor, perticularly to encourage the use of outdoor growbeds.
New item: Nuclear Waste
2x2, Uses the model for Uranium, but silvery.
Creates a damaging field of radiation when out of inventory.
Only use is to be disposed of in the lab trash can. Biproduct of recycling the reactor rod casing.
New Items: Copper, Lead and Gold ingots.
As with Titanium, except recolors.
New way to move large quantities of ore around.

Balance

Also, while the Reginald is currently the best food fish in the game, it would make sense to have the best energy fish in the game to be different.

Current candidate would probably be the Garryfish, due to being the worst food fish. Perhaps modify its entry a bit to say that it is perticularly starchy.
Another solid candidate would be the spadefish due to its bulk or the hoverfish due to its... unusual way of regulating its buoyancy.

Comments

• ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Remember when this was a survival game with a story?

Pardon the sass but I think we should analyze this a bit deeper. Survival games are meant to be challenging and as you get stronger so does the challenges. Management ought to be one of them.
  • almisamialmisami Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227094Members
    How does any of this affect management?
    Having the Reginald be the end-all creature for all your food and energy needs is bad from a gameplay perspective.

Likewise, nuclear has the gigantic drawback of having a system that creates depleted rods that you can't deal with without bloating your save file.

Plus, good games should offer the player different, equally valid choices. (Indoor growbed, outdoor growbed and fauna)

I don't see how your comment is in any way constructive to either me or the devs...

• ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    almisami wrote: »
    How does any of this affect management?
    Having the Reginald be the end-all creature for all your food and energy needs is bad from a gameplay perspective.

Likewise, nuclear has the gigantic drawback of having a system that creates depleted rods that you can't deal with without bloating your save file.

Plus, good games should offer the player different, equally valid choices. (Indoor growbed, outdoor growbed and fauna)

I don't see how your comment is in any way constructive to either me or the devs...

To be perfectly honest I am unsure exactly what you're trying to state.

The thread is incoherent to me. Possibly of my own incompetence.
  • almisamialmisami Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227094Members
    Players should have incentives to diversify.

You should want to have both indoor and outdoor growbeds in addition to your aquarium.

Now, you shouldn't force the player character to have them all. However, offering a bonus or benefit of some kind to those that do makes the player feel rewarded.
    There's no reason to make biofuel over just food, but if you do it gives you a bioreactor that will run a long time.

I have to rethink my nuclear idea now that lab trash cans can dispose of rods. Might scrap it.