Pipe port on Seamoth and Cyclops + flexible pipe-reel.

przybysz86przybysz86 Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223387Members
As this is my first post here let me start with huge "Thank you!" for great game :)
Also forgive me if this was suggested earlier - I've not seen it but I might have missed it :)

But to topic at hand: Currently in experimental mode (and soon to hit stable version as I understand it) we have pipes overhaul that allow us to put port on surface or on any base. It's a great feature that can be taken further. For example we can have pipe port on Seamoth and Cyclops.

For example I would be able to park my Seamoth just above crush depth, disembark and dive further just stretching pipes behind me. Pipes would work the same as those connected to base but when player is connected to them (is at end point taking O2) they would drain power from Seamoth's power cell in the same pace as if player was inside the craft - for balancing purpose.
It can also help in cave and wreck exploration - I can stretch pipe system behind me after I park my Seamoth at the entrance.

On Cyclops the cave/wreck exploration scenarios would work as well. Not only it would provide O2 but also mark my way back and I would use reel only to get to the end-piece of the pipe system.

Question is if it should be stock feature on craft or as an update. Can be both but I think from gameplay standpoint having this as modification on Seamoth and standard thin on Cyclops would work best.
Change should be simple to implement from technical side but would require new 3d models

Another nice addition would be to have pipe-reel. It would work as hybrid between pipe and reel. Attach one end to pip port and stretch it in any direction you want and when you reach distance limit attach the other end do ground (or just make it floating like beacon) and use it as pipe end point where you can attach another pipe-reel or normal pipe and start from there. I think for balancing purpose it should be 4x4 item with max length of 100m. It would be very useful for all kind of cave/wreck exploration.
It would require titanium, 2x silicon rubber and 2x fibre mesh to build: rubber hose in fibre sleeve and with titanium endpoints - that's how I see it

Let me know what you think about my ideas

Comments

• ookasmcplookusookasmcplookus Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223300Members
    edited October 2016
    I like the idea of having the pipes be attachable to the sea moth at the least. The other 2 vehicles maybe don't need it so much, considering once you have them you will probably be able to take them down to the area you are wanting to explore anyway; setting up pipes at that point would be more of a hassle than just relocating the vehicle closer. But I see your idea here being a quick solution to the fact that modification station, vehicle modification station, and moon pool fragments are almost all located below 330m in wrecks. This means currently, the player is having to explore 130m below the crush depth of the seamoth to be able to get to the places that have the upgrades that enable you to go lower, whilst using default tanks. Keep in mind that also includes the lengthy laser cutting and welding animations as well as exploring a wreck and not getting lost. I myself was finding 5 or 7+ trips necessary on some wrecks to be confident I had fully explored them. My suggestion was to have the vehicle modification station and moon pool fragments in the same wrecks and / or biomes and to have them both at about 250m depth. However if your suggestion was implemented I would probably say this wouldn't be so much of an issue and relocation of fragments wouldn't be necessary.
  • przybysz86przybysz86 Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223387Members
    edited October 2016
    Yes, having player access to this earlier - that's something to be considered. Maybe we can make it constructable in fabricator or maybe even we might use the already existing (at least in experimental) pipe port for bases but allow only one spot where it can be built on Seamoth - the exact bottom of craft.

Also mechanism will have to be made to prevent Seamoth from moving until pipes are disassembled - or mechanism that will rip them off as soon as craft is moved so that player would have to dive to retrieve them - sometimes it's more important to escape than to retrieve them.

When it comes to other vehicle - pipes might prove useful in wrecks/cave exploration. Just park at the entrance and start building pipes from there. They would not only provide oxygen on longer trips but mark your way back. It might be time consuming but when you have lot of exploration, cutting, etc to be done it might prove useful anyway. Especially in Hardcore mode when you can realise to late that you are low on O2.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    I love this idea, though I would want there to be some kind of counter on the UI to show us the power level of the Seamoth every time we tank up on air from the pipe, given it sucks power with every breath and running out of energy while in the belly of some wreck would be an ultimately fatal outcome.
  • przybysz86przybysz86 Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223387Members
    edited November 2016
    If course. It can show craft power level when you are "connected" or pipes can have simple indicator at end-point:
    Green = more than 50% power.
    Yellow 25-50%
    Red 10-25min%
    Red flashing below 10%
    No light 0% or not connected

Same system can be used for pipes connected to bases