Living with updates

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
So - as I now understand, there is a great likelihood that a major update will bone your game. Or at least make it pretty difficult to play.

Is there any way to 'update-proof' a game? Could it be backed up before the update, do the update then restore the game? Or is it just "tough maraca's baby!" when a big update comes out? It appears I have 85 hrs of play that are now pretty useless as, after the Sept update, the Fabricator runs ultra-unusably-slow - but just in that game.

I've been playing primarily survival - and wondering if it is worthwhile to recreate the prev game (which had some good stuff and progress) with cheats - only to be whacked again on the October (or whatever) update.

Or do you just don't to too much and plan for a complete loss on the next update... kinda un-nerving!

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    This is what happens in early access. The game is in development. Everything can change with the next update. Every change can mess up your save when things that did connect no longer do. You'll just have to deal with it. After all, this is what you have paid for: A game, not finished, but becoming.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Delete your saves. Be free. Use console commands to rebuild if you get bored of gathering.

Only other way is to wait a few months for release.
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    The game gets a little boring after you have everything built up and don't really have to worry about any resources ever running out. Starting anew is a great chance to... Start anew.

So build. Experiment. Laugh in the face of the reaper. And next playthrough, try something else. See how deep you can make your first base. How long can you go without making a base at all? How many biomes can you get your base to span (only attempt if you have a really awesome graphics card)? Have you scanned everything? Have you scanned everything without using a status rifle? And can you do it again?
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    @Thosar - that is exactly what happened to the man who won the History Channel survivor (REAL) show "Alone". He said once he got a system going to get food and stay warm, all that was left was to sleep. It got very boring. I'm just sorta don't want to go thru the blueprint finding thing again - guess I can use cheats to get the stuff I already found, and go "pure" from there.