Cephalopod; new submarine idea.

ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
So, I think we need a REAL deep diving submarine.
Here you go, the Cephalopod.

Capable of diving to beyond 4,000 meters/13,123ft. It has manipulator arms that can collect small minerals and items. It does not have the power or abilities of the PRAWN. But it can go to the deepest areas. And beyond.

cephalopod-a_orig.jpg
cephalopod-b_orig.jpg
cephalopod-c_orig.jpg
cephalopod-d_orig.jpg
cephalopod-e_orig.jpg

Has a storage capacity of 4x6 but can be upgraded with two "saddle bag" style side baskets that raise the total storage to 6x8.

Has a speed of 10 knots (5.1 m/s)
Has 5 overhead flood lights and 4 floodlights just above the worker arms (not shown, flush mounted)
It also has 2 lights to each side and a rear view camera that shows like a rear view mirror on a screen above the center window.
Sphere shape titanium hull is 4 inches thick. Crush depth of 17,230 feet / 5,251 meters / 2,871 fathoms.

Comments

• ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    Oh yeah, and the thrusters can tilt and pan to maneuver in any direction.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    If I may make a suggestion, this submersible design might benefit from a second, slightly larger pair of vectored thrusters.
    The most suitable place to mount them would be below the pressure sphere. Very handy for those quick getaways. ;)
    Excellent modelling work!
    Bugzapper, I believe you are correct about the thrusters.
    I will try to add them today
    And I know the game only goes to 3500 or 3800m. The whole reason of listing it at 4000m is to say that it has no limit in the game.
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    But....but...
    I wouldn't want to scratch it. It look so cute.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    @Artorius - yep - super idea! Hopefully the grapplers would put the pickups directly to storage.
    Nice model!
    But....but...
    I wouldn't want to scratch it. It look so cute.

Thank you.

harrzack wrote: »
    @Artorius - yep - super idea! Hopefully the grapplers would put the pickups directly to storage.
    Nice model!

That was the idea. :) a small basket at the base of the arms could hold the items.

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    This sub is such a good idea, it looks so good. It looks like something that would actually go around in the deep sea. I want to go around in this and pick up that Kyanite!. It's so good!
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    This sub is such a good idea, it looks so good. It looks like something that would actually go around in the deep sea. I want to go around in this and pick up that Kyanite!. It's so good!

Thanks. I like it too.
    Hopefully I will have time to add the forward thrusters. Though I think they will be smaller and work as maneuvering thrusters that give a slight speed boost. Boosting would raise speed to 24 knots (12.3 m/s) but have triple energy consumption.
    I think I'll post some other submarine designs in the regular general forum. They aren't Subnautica submarines. They're just submarines I've designed. A couple are real world designs meant to be built. (its just the basic design models, so there's no detail in them yet.) but if anyone is interested in seeing them, I will post a link here.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    What do you think about a camera drone upgrade? That was the first thing your submarine reminded me of when I looked at it (and it is really cool). After unlocking the prawn suit, could you have an option to put a robotic arm or two on the camera drone? You can collect stuff around you and pile it up under your moonpool or even better have a big box on the side of a room to put stuff in.
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    What do you think about a camera drone upgrade? That was the first thing your submarine reminded me of when I looked at it (and it is really cool). After unlocking the prawn suit, could you have an option to put a robotic arm or two on the camera drone? You can collect stuff around you and pile it up under your moonpool or even better have a big box on the side of a room to put stuff in.

Upgrading the camera drone into an ROV would be awesome. I did post a form of that called the Lobster. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145061/rov-lobster
    The style doesn't really fit the game super well but the idea of an ROV with the ability to collect nearby items would be really helpful. Especially early on. The Lobster is also heat and damage resistant to collect things like crash powder and items where predators might harm the player.
    Now that I think about it though, the design of a ball with a forward looking fixed camera. And a single clamp jaw that can crack outcrops and then grab the item inside. Then return to the base, sub, controller whatever system it is launched from, and while slow, would allow somewhat safe method of resource gathering. Albeit much slower than swimming. As well as having limited range. Kinda cool.
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    Grapplers should be modular like on the PRAWN, so you can have propulsion cannons and drills aswell.
    tickera wrote: »
    Grapplers should be modular like on the PRAWN, so you can have propulsion cannons and drills aswell.

I like that. I only didn't do that because I didn't want to replace to Prawn. Just to supplement it.
    But still, having some other options would be cool. Maybe some things for exploring and science.
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    Artorius wrote: »

I like that. I only didn't do that because I didn't want to replace to Prawn. Just to supplement it.
    But still, having some other options would be cool. Maybe some things for exploring and science.

Well the upgrades dont have to be modular, it could be like enhanced pickup range, or hardened claw bits to break things similar to a drill.
    Artorius wrote: »

Well the upgrades dont have to be modular, it could be like enhanced pickup range, or hardened claw bits to break things similar to a drill.

Yeah, that would work .
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    there is nothing below 1500
    there is nothing below 1500

I know. But the Cyclops has that one alien tech upgrade that allows for 2800 meters. So maybe in the future there will be things closer to the bottom of the world. Maybe a deep trench or cave.

Otherwise I would agree.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    We are going....

THROUGH THE CORE
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    For balance concerns, it would need to be slower than the Seamoth, and still not have the depth capacity of the PRAWN.
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    In personal view I think maybe lose the top lights as a mount as it looks like an antenna kind of thing maybe swap it for a strip light built to the top of the cockpit thus offering 100° of single focused light ergo a work light.

the rest looks beautiful.

although maybe a different name.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited November 2016
    Only thing I'd change about the model is replacing the little blade fan propellors with a "gravity drive" or whatever the Seamoth and PRAWN use. Give it like little rocket shaped thrusters, know what I mean?

Also, I'm interested to see your take on an aquatic mecha.
    Had an idea for a videogame a while back where it would basically be Gundam, but in the deep sea, with mechas swimming and floating underwater and hunting legendary sea monsters, like the Leviathan, Kraken, Charybdis, etc.
    yellowsub wrote: »

The way the little bubble is encased in the frame kinda reminds me of a shellfish or hermit crab

So how about something like The "Nautilus" Mk II Extreme Pressure Exploration And Survey Vessel?
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    might put gimbled thrusters aft as well. if its going to go deep it needs to be able to maneuver in the caves. tight quarters needs a bit better control.
    IMO another deep sub would be nice but i would rather have an ROV that can go really deep to collect samples. a small 3D tank on the cyclops a view and a control spot. External docking just aft of the conning tower.

give it fairly limited range so folks don't just go use it to collect while they sit and feed their faces.
  • gutlessgravygutlessgravy usa florda Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223664Members
    one thing bad is that the deepest point in the game is about 2000
  • gutlessgravygutlessgravy usa florda Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223664Members
    but not a bad idea
    yellowsub wrote: »
    In personal view I think maybe lose the top lights as a mount as it looks like an antenna kind of thing maybe swap it for a strip light built to the top of the cockpit thus offering 100° of single focused light ergo a work light.

the rest looks beautiful.

I agree, that a light bar would be very cool. And thanks.
    Names are just my own. haha.