Subnatucia is laggy as all Hell

cwolf50cwolf50 Liberty Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221162Members
I can't play subnatucia because It is too laggy so I need someone to fix this bug I have windows 10 lenovo ideapad110 x64 bit and I don't have the 2nd componet to play.Is that required for smmothed gameplay.Please fix this on windows 10 home Lenovo Ideapad110 x64 bit

Comments

• rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members
    If you're stationary and it still lags, then it's your gpu problem. Even in safe shallows the game takes up to 1.5 gb of vram, an amount that triple A games take with an amazing details.

If you're moving or turning and it lags, it probably falls to your storage speed, which, unfortunately, you can do nothing about. My best guess is that they load up the assets and rendered it, but as soon as it's out of your sight they just dumped it, hence requiring it to load back on when it's within your vision again.

I'm sitting at i5-6600K and gtx 1080 and still get 25 fps when moving at a high speed or turning. If you're unfamiliar with it, i can play triple A games, seeing thousands of tiny grain of dust flying past me, the acne of everyone's faces, and still get 80-90 fps for the game.
  • cwolf50cwolf50 Liberty Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221162Members
    Thanks ill try that
    I just got the newest update for subnautica and it's still laggy as hell.Can there be a way to run the game in a smoother mode instead of being really laggy?Heres my computer specs
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2jU-41XL-o2YkhSNmpGOGM4OXM
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Do you have an SSD? If so, see my sig and move Subnautica there. If you don't, get an SSD (search for either ECO3 [cheaper] or 850 EVO [faster] here) and an adapter here (Not sure your exact ideapad model, if you can be more specific, I can find exactly what you need).

That's what I did with my Toshiba laptop and it works amazingly well. Boots Windows in about 10 seconds, and you can immediately start opening programs etc. Subnauitca loads fast, and plays faster than before (still slow but tolerable).

Plus, you still have your internal regular storage for movies, games that don't mind slow loading times, etc.

If you need help setting that up let me know.
  • subnautica22132subnautica22132 Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225415Members
    im on xbox one and i cant even hardly move its so laggy. i cant get fish to help me live plzz helpp
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I don't want to have an external hard drive or upgrade my pc, I just want the game to run smooth at 60fps so that I can play the game.
    edited December 2016
    I found a little bit of a solution for subnautica fps.Here is what I did

1.loaded up my game
    2.started a new game (didn't load my saved game, I started up a new game)
    3.hit F8 and F3 on your keyboard (when you first click the F8 and F3 it might change the system settings, just hold the fn key and it will make the top row function as the F keys but without the system settings)
    4.change the 1 3 5 and 6 to off
    5.change the Texture Quality to 1 or 2
    6.change the water quality to 0 or 1
    7.uncheck Disable Console
    8.Hit F8 and press enter
    9.then enter in the following command: vsync 1
    10.there you go, your game should run a little bit better
    cwolf50 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't want to have an external hard drive or upgrade my pc, I just want the game to run smooth at 60fps so that I can play the game.

It's not external, that's what I was trying to show you. It lets you have a second internal hard disk bay instead of an optical drive (you can always get an external one of those for like 30 bucks if you had to, but most people don't use them).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    So I compared your specs to the originally released minimum specs, and your laptop is under the minimum spec by quite a long way. Specifically the onboard graphics card in the laptop is not a gaming GPU. This is a low spec machine that can handle some very light games, certainly not one as demanding as subnautica.

The only way to get any type of experience would be to play on the lowest resolution and the worst graphical setting and turn everyting else you can off. Even then, you experience will still be stuttery and slow, but unfortunately you are limited by the power of your hardware.

The HD400 in your CPU is a die shrink of the HD5300, with no other improvements.

In tests vs the HD4600 which is the minimum requirement, the HD5300 is beaten significantly.

Even if you had a HD4600, the experience would be very bad, because it is the minimum required to play the game, not the minimum to get a good experience.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I am sure the issues with hardware is also related to optimization. I agree about the solid state hard drive, and I plan on picking one up since this last update killed my FPS and object popping. I have confidence by the time the game reaches beta status it will function better. The devs have added a lot of features, and it probably needs a little cleaning up.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited December 2016
    The advice to purchase a SSD for smoother frame rates is, in my opinion, misleading. It's not so much the transfer of data from hard drive to memory that causes the lag, it's to do with RAM, processor and GPU. I have a SSD and normal HDD in my laptop and I find that Subnautica does not run noticeably different on either one.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    The advice to purchase a SSD for smoother frame rates is, in my opinion, misleading. It's not so much the transfer of data from hard drive to memory that causes the lag, it's to do with RAM, processor and GPU. I have a SSD and normal HDD in my laptop and I find that Subnautica does not run noticeably different on either one.

Bang on... I moved my game to a new SSD, and it zero difference to load times or playability.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members

This is true. I was hoping the increased read and write would help with issues to some degree. I still need to upgrade however haha.
    I just got the newest update for subnautica and it's still laggy as hell.Can there be a way to run the game in a smoother mode instead of being really laggy?Heres my computer specs

Here are my updated pc specs so that you guys can take a look at and determine what is good for my pc.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2jU-41XL-o2bW5hM0ZHalFwT0U

Here are my updated pc specs so that you guys can take a look at and determine what is good for my pc.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2jU-41XL-o2bW5hM0ZHalFwT0U

Ouch.
    General
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Central Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz
    User Name swagc
    Graphics
    Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Video Memory 1.0 GB
    Screen Resolution 1366 x 768
    Storage
    Total Memory 3.9 GB
    Free Memory 2.1 GB
    Total Hard disk 449.9 GB
    Free Hard disk 318.6 GB

... Imma say you'll need a new computer. Maybe wait until v1.0 of Subnautica hits and the game is optimized, that will help and you could run on lowest settings, but I don't know if that will be enough.

1) Celeron processors are bargain-bin, they strip out all the expensive stuff that makes the CPU run fast (cache memory) and aren't clocked high (and yours is clocked slow even for a Celeron, 1.6 GHz). Plus you only have two cores.
    2) Intel HD Graphics suck, they aren't a real graphics card, they're a cheap GPU unit built into the CPU for if you're trying to save power (if you have a real GPU to switch to), or, just to cut down on costs if you really don't need to do anything graphically intensive as you're using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint all day.
    3) 4GB of RAM is barely enough for Windows. You can run games, but you're going to have to use the Hard Disk swap file ("pretend" aka Virtual Memory stored as a swap file on the hard disk), and, from what I've seen, it's likely your hard disk is one of the slower 5400 RPM models. Actually, let's see... you have a ST500LT012-1DG142, which Google tells me is a "Seagate Laptop Thin ST500LT012 500GB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache", so, yeah, it's slow.

Save up for a new machine if you want to play games on higher settings, dunno what else to tell you.
  • RagnosRagnos Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230812Members
    edited May 2017
    It's primarily how the game is coded. I'm sure once they approach the 1.0 release they will clean the code up to lower the lag, as well as hopefully fix the loading of the environment. As well as Lag Whales (Reefbacks, I call them lag whales since my FPS drops like crazy whenever they are around).
    I play on the lowest settings (Except Anti-Aliasing, and V-Sync) :Even with my specs:
    since that causes the least lag of course, but I still get it when moving at high speeds and it tries to render the area as I go along.

Current Specs.
    Octo-Core 4.7Ghz
    16GB RAM
    120GB SSD
    1TB HHD
    4GB VRAM GPU

Haven't tried moving it over to the SSD yet, but since it increased Skyrims load times on Ultra by about 1.5 seconds I'm sure the difference will be minuscule.
    Ragnos wrote: »
    It's primarily how the game is coded. I'm sure once they approach the 1.0 release they will clean the code up to lower the lag, as well as hopefully fix the loading of the environment. As well as Lag Whales (Reefbacks, I call them lag whales since my FPS drops like crazy whenever they are around).
    I play on the lowest settings (Except Anti-Aliasing, and V-Sync) :Even with my specs:
    since that causes the least lag of course, but I still get it when moving at high speeds and it tries to render the area as I go along.

Current Specs.
    Octo-Core 4.7Ghz
    16GB RAM
    120GB SSD
    1TB HHD
    4GB VRAM GPU

Haven't tried moving it over to the SSD yet, but since it increased Skyrims load times on Ultra by about 1.5 seconds I'm sure the difference will be minuscule.

Try moving it to SSD, if your hard disk is the bottleneck (loading new terrain from disk) it will help immensely. If it's your GPU or CPU that's the bottleneck, yeah, you won't notice except for load times. However, nothing's preventing you from moving it back to the HDD if that's the case. (I've seen both cases, some people the SSD helps a lot, some it has no effect, depends on the system and what they specific bottleneck is.)
    Alright, I'll move it and see what happens.

(Never spawn a Sea Dragon in a Creepvine Forest. Scary.)
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    You won't be running the game well on that laptop. It's barely over the requirements for Minecraft.
    @Ragnos oddly enough, some report that increasing their detail settings actually helps. Worth a try, can't hurt as you can always change it back.
    @0x6A7232 I moved it to the SSD and put it on full max settings, and sure enough it barely lags. It stutters from time to time, but it works way better.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members

I inherited an older Windows 7 PC and took the hard drive from it (not a SSD by the way but it does run at 7200 RPM) and installed it in my gaming system. I formatted it and moved my games to this other drive, including Subnautica. Now when playing the game still runs similarly to how it did before, with occasional stutter when changing between biomes or loading objects such as Wrecks. But I'm far happier with the improved performance it has now, since the game isn't being taxed as much by sharing the same HD.

I've noticed having the game running on the same hard drive as my Windows 10 OS, I would lag out and the game would freeze up for short periods at times - presumably because the OS was accessing the drive for system operations or other actions while the game was also accessing the drive. Now that I have Subnautica on a different drive, it keeps the system HD free to do its thing which reduces the loadtime for the game and generally lets it run smoother. Your mileage may vary based on your system's specs of course, but it's worth a shot if you want to try another step before pulling the trigger on a SSD. :)
    Tarkannen wrote: »

I inherited an older Windows 7 PC and took the hard drive from it (not a SSD by the way but it does run at 7200 RPM) and installed it in my gaming system. I formatted it and moved my games to this other drive, including Subnautica. Now when playing the game still runs similarly to how it did before, with occasional stutter when changing between biomes or loading objects such as Wrecks. But I'm far happier with the improved performance it has now, since the game isn't being taxed as much by sharing the same HD.

I've noticed having the game running on the same hard drive as my Windows 10 OS, I would lag out and the game would freeze up for short periods at times - presumably because the OS was accessing the drive for system operations or other actions while the game was also accessing the drive. Now that I have Subnautica on a different drive, it keeps the system HD free to do its thing which reduces the loadtime for the game and generally lets it run smoother. Your mileage may vary based on your system's specs of course, but it's worth a shot if you want to try another step before pulling the trigger on a SSD. :)

How much RAM do you have? If it's not a lot, that makes sense as the system will be swapping memory pages out to the pagefile on the hard disk. SSDs help hugely in this regard as well (swapping isn't as kludgy as with a spinny disk, as access is near-instantaneous).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited June 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    How much RAM do you have? If it's not a lot, that makes sense as the system will be swapping memory pages out to the pagefile on the hard disk. SSDs help hugely in this regard as well (swapping isn't as kludgy as with a spinny disk, as access is near-instantaneous).

My system is the Dell Vostro 230 that I posted about 2 months or so ago. It has 4GB of memory and only 2 slots for memory (2GB x2 sticks). I had tried your suggestion to install 4GB x2 sticks of memory but it didn't work. :cry: And before you ask, I have tried updating the BIOS and bought both types of DDR3-1600 and DDR3L-1600 memory... the motherboard simply won't boot if I have a 4GB memory stick in either RAM slot. (The computer wont POST, beeps once every 3 seconds and the power LED flashes orange - but it runs fine with 2GB in each slot). :bawling:

I did however attempt to upgrade my gaming system last month. I found a pretty nice Dell Inspiron 3650 with an Intel Core i5 (6400) processor that can run up to 8GB of DDR3 memory. HOWEVER... I was devastated to learn that while it used PCIe slots that could support my nVidia GeForce 650ti video card... the 300w power supply was proprietary 2x2x5 rectangle shape, instead of the standard 3x3x4 supply. Which meant my 550w p/s could not fit in the case, and could not power my card - and voided the reason I bought a new PC in the first place. :angry:

So lesson learned: I'm just gonna stick with what I have for now until I can afford to build the gaming system that I want lol.

My system is the Dell Vostro 230 that I posted about 2 months or so ago. It has 4GB of memory and only 2 slots for memory (2GB x2 sticks). I had tried your suggestion to install 4GB x2 sticks of memory but it didn't work. :cry: And before you ask, I have tried updating the BIOS and bought both types of DDR3-1600 and DDR3L-1600 memory... the motherboard simply won't boot if I have a 4GB memory stick in either RAM slot. (The computer wont POST, beeps once every 3 seconds and the power LED flashes orange - but it runs fine with 2GB in each slot). :bawling:

I did however attempt to upgrade my gaming system last month. I found a pretty nice Dell Inspiron 3650 with an Intel Core i5 (6400) processor that can run up to 8GB of DDR3 memory. HOWEVER... I was devastated to learn that while it used PCIe slots that could support my nVidia GeForce 650ti video card... the 300w power supply was proprietary 2x2x5 rectangle shape, instead of the standard 3x3x4 supply. Which meant my 550w p/s could not fit in the case, and could not power my card - and voided the reason I bought a new PC in the first place. :angry:

So lesson learned: I'm just gonna stick with what I have for now until I can afford to build the gaming system that I want lol.

Do you have pictures of that? It sounds like something a careful use of a drill would fix (if it's just the screw holes we're talking). OR try putting your mobo & system components from the new computer into the old case.

Or did you mean the power connection? Cause if so, there's probably an adapter you can get pretty cheap.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members

Do you have pictures of that? It sounds like something a careful use of a drill would fix (if it's just the screw holes we're talking). OR try putting your mobo & system components from the new computer into the old case.

Or did you mean the power connection? Cause if so, there's probably an adapter you can get pretty cheap.

Dell usually has proprietary cases and components. I have a similar problem with my cases and power supply with a rig I'm trying to put together. It's going to be an arcade cabinet, so best case is just mounting it to a wooden board and the power supply next to it, but it won't work out (even with serious angle grinding) with a standard case. You would either have to remove a section of the top of the case, or cut a section out of the motherboard.

Dell usually has proprietary cases and components. I have a similar problem with my cases and power supply with a rig I'm trying to put together. It's going to be an arcade cabinet, so best case is just mounting it to a wooden board and the power supply next to it, but it won't work out (even with serious angle grinding) with a standard case. You would either have to remove a section of the top of the case, or cut a section out of the motherboard.

You want the former option, not the ladder. Never cut a circuit board unless you know that there's no hidden traces where you're cutting.