'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
Borealis Rising - A Subnautica Story, V2.0.
By: Bugzapper (Lee Perkins).

CHAPTER ONE

Unlike a certain Mr. Samuel L. Clemens, the reports of my death are entirely accurate.

Alexander Fergus Selkirk lived to the ripe old age of 115 years, and died three times in the process. We're not talking about any 'dying on the operating table'- type deaths, either. The first time, I blundered into the path of a hungry Stalker and paid the price for my singular lack of caution. All things considered, I got off extremely lightly. Having a working Valkyrie Field in the Lifepod gave me a second chance, and I dare say that I learned a valuable lesson from that experience.

Considering that this planet is essentially a heaving mass of aquatic life forms with a marked taste for human flesh, it would serve you well to keep your wits about you. If you've accessed my earlier log entries, you'll probably be aware of the most prevalent threats that planet 4546B (a.k.a 'Alpha Hydrae IV' or 'Manannán') has to offer. I have done my best to provide a broad assessment of each alien species encountered so far, including their general appearance, typical behaviour patterns and perceived threat levels. Please be advised that this information is by no means complete and highly subject to revision, since this planet has entered a state of accelerated evolution. It is entirely possible that new life forms are appearing even as this account is being written.

Yes, you did read that last sentence correctly.

My second death was a rather more unpleasant surprise. Approximately eight months after Aurora crashed on this planet, a Torgaljin Corporation commercial frigate arrived and commenced highly secretive operations near one of my undersea bases. Since I had already launched a deep-space distress beacon by that time and the frigate De Ruyter had made no obvious attempts to contact me, I became immediately suspicious of their intentions. A few days later, a Torgaljin security team entered my base and I was murdered by their leader, Invigilator Galen Tomar. After being restored to life by the Valkyrie Field, I commenced a retaliatory action that culminated in the destruction of De Ruyter and the loss of its crew. This particular outcome was not at all intentional, although the follow-up operation against Torgaljin Corp's base in the Lava Castle was entirely successful and no further human lives were lost during our assault on this facility.

As for what happened to the inhabitants of the Torgaljin base in the aftermath of that raid, I can only speculate how events might have unfolded. As the Lava Castle base has been effectively isolated for the past hundred and two years, I am understandably reluctant to carry out a detailed reconnaissance mission in order to ascertain whether anyone is still alive down there. Camera drones have been sent there on several occasions, although they were deliberately made to be unable to operate the base's airlock controls. My greatest concern is that Torgaljin personnel might capture a more sophisticated drone and begin reverse-engineering its more accessible components. Considering that I took particular care in completely shutting down Torgaljin's illegal operations on this planet, I had no intention of handing over what amounted to an instant technological advantage. They were slapped down hard, and I want those bastards to stay slapped down.
Permanently.

Comments

• Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    NEW STORY! NEW STORY! :D:D:D
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    I... Think that you broke their site as I can't access it from my laptop.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    YES!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    So a new story begins! =)
    Welcome back to us Bugzapper! :smiley:
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    A new story! Yes! But... I am confused! Can't wait to see what comes of this!
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Yay! A cult story! We will bridge humanity and machines. We are the next step in human evolution. The cults origin story is quite an impressive tale: "In a fiery inferno the Aurora fell from its heavenly plane, and born with it was a great man. This man prevented a mega corporation from building a galactic empire away from Terran law and attempting to claim the planet as their own. From his life protecting the planet and his eventual death led him, in his new form, to rise from the planet and spread his vision with the rest of the Galaxy! You all know this man! It's our great prophet Alexander Selkirk! And today he would like to share his vision with you!"
    Alexander walks onto the stage.
    I am getting a whole Mondatta vibe from this. From the over watch cinematic Alive. Selkirk is Mondatta confirmed!
    I really am taking this whole cult idea too far, all my assumptions based off one paragraph in the second post of the story!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited June 2016
    As an artificial intelligence, is Selkirk now bound by the same rules that the others have to follow? Could he kill a human in self-defense (In case the Torgalijin personnel or their descendants didn't kill each other off) without getting the digital equivalent of a lobotomy?

Cybernetizing the human race could indeed be beneficial, although I'd always worry that someone could hack me or other people.
    Hehe... Welcome to the lost river Selkirk...
    Can't wait to see his reaction to the bones!
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    Welcome back bugzapper!
  • EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    Sweet! I can already tell that this will be a great story!
  • AAAsubnauticaAAAsubnautica Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216569Members
    Sorry for being a little late guys.
    Welcome back Bugzapper!!!
  • _Quack_Quack__Quack_Quack_ A pond Join Date: 2016-06-08 Member: 218294Members
    I wonder what this story is about?
    Hehe... Welcome to the lost river Selkirk...
    Can't wait to see his reaction to the bones!

The Sea Emperor's great grandad or something. :)
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    edited June 2016
    I wonder what this story is about?

It's Aurora Falls' sequel. Whatever the plot is, it's going to be great.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    So. You answered my question in the last thread. About androids and eating/taste. Maybe in an overkill way. Or maybe without that as the intention. Still.

Also, the limestone in game is Stalker **** in this universe?
    Also, I do have to congratulate you, Bugzapper, at thinking up such an original story title lol. Not trying to insult you here. It is actually perfect, I saw the name and was like: 1. Definitely the sequel 2. It is the next logical step, its actually pretty clever.
    But you definitely better have the ship that Selkirk leaves the planet to take to the stars sharing his AI vision called the Borealis, or I will be very sad lol.
  • DefectivePotatOSDefectivePotatOS Utah Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216964Members
    *cries tears of joy*
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »

I'm afraid so.

Now wash your hands.

• WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Joeakuaku wrote: »

I'm afraid so.

Now wash your hands.

Is that just for titanium? What about copper? Well I don't know much about this universe so I'll keep it up to you to continue your story great job though! (:
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    What I would be wondering at this point is "what the hell would that monstrosity NEED teeth for?"
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    What I would be wondering at this point is "what the hell would that monstrosity NEED teeth for?"

the really big herbivores that it fed and self-defense against other creatures of its own species?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    sayerulz wrote: »

the really big herbivores that it fed and self-defense against other creatures of its own species?

Well, mostly I was thinking on the big herbivore front. The way that thing's teeth are set up gives me the impression it might hunt something even BIGGER.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    Is it just a coincidence that Borealis also is a ship from the Half-Life series?