Auxiliary O2 Tanks: a compromise

SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
The latest stable changed the behavior of oxygen tanks. No longer did you carry 4 tanks with you to extend your O2 supply, as you could only utilize the single tank you had equipped on the paper doll. Alongside this change the tank capacities were doubled, from 30 and 60 seconds of air to 60 and 120 seconds for the normal/lightweight O2 tank and the high-cap tank respectively.

I was a little skeptical at first but in the end I decided I liked the change because I had a little more space in my inventory and I no longer had the nagging in my mind, "This makes no sense!!!"

However, this change has been mostly reverted due to what I assume was negative community feedback and in the latest experimental I've got 2 high-cap tanks on me (one equipped and one in inventory) to achieve the O2 time I had in Stable. I can understand the revert because sometimes you need more dive time to get something done which tank stacking can provide, but to leave each tank at double capacity would permit absurd dive times to be achieved by stacking the tanks necessitating tank stacking to have decent dive time.

So, I've come up with a compromise to suggest: Current tanks would add to oxygen supply only when equipped and their capacities would be doubled, basically as it is in stable. If dive time needs to be extended, the player can craft Auxiliary O2 Tanks that each add +30 seconds of air supply while held in the inventory, and would become the only stackable air supply in the game.

Comments

• IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    edited May 2016
    How about we have to ability to craft none auto-refillable tanks. Thus you have a air tank like now a days that holds a lot of air and can keep you under a long time. And holds like 6 minutes of oxygen, instead of 1 or 2 minutes of oxygen that current in game tanks carry.
    Now the plus to this system is you get a much greater dive time and because the tanks have their own air compressed unlike the current tanks which seem to more really pressurize it seem. But these tanks of course would be well expensive to make, since they'd just be this thing that give like 5 times the normal air.
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    You're proposing a radical change to the current system that they've been refining for many months now. On top of that, rather than feedback to my suggestion you're just making an entirely new suggestion of your own in my discussion thread :tongue:

I'm sure that idea crossed the minds of the developers but that would involve creating new machines and junk. I've heard a rumor once that the developers are seriously considering O2 management for seabases rather than the simplified "If it's powered, it has air" approach but I've not found anything to back that rumor up.

Anyway, we shouldn't derail this suggestion thread on the first post should we? How do equip-slot only large tanks and inventory only small tanks sound?
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    well i took the idea of you have spare O2 tanks you can use to feed into your current one making it last longer, and just thought why not make them bigger and there own tank.
  • Sub_NaughtySub_Naughty Away from Reapers Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217316Members
    I'm all up for people commenting on MY posts as that's the point of my thread but yeah I DO get why you'd be annoyed people taking YOUR ideas and coming up with their own in YOUR thread! Sennera I have used some things you've mentioned in the past on my posts in some ideas and obviously given you credit, I would love to talk about your idea in my thread and put IvanKeska's points in with it giving you both credit respectively if that's alright with you two?