Where have all the fish gone in the starter safe zone? No respawns in this ocean?

JhadarSyJhadarSy Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215030Members
I see reapers eating fish. I've seen a pile of dead Peepers at the bottom of a thermal vent. Do fish not respawn?
My starting area used to have a Gasopod right next to my lifeboat - he's gone now too and as far as I know nothing killed him.

Perhaps there's a global item spawn limit for each zone? As I piled up scrap metal on the sea floor and setup floating storage containers, did it kill off all the fish?

I can still find plenty of fish in far off zones I visit.

Comments

• WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Currently fish do not respawn, but it's on their trello as a To Do item.
  • JhadarSyJhadarSy Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215030Members
    That's good to know. If/When they implement that perhaps they will want to track kills based on player vs environment. Environment kills could respawn faster than say player kills. But it also seems like something else is going on here. Like with the Gasopod vanishing. Perhaps they are not all making it into the save game file and on each reload there are fewer and fewer.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    edited March 2016
    From what the trello card says, fish that are killed are just plain deleted, which explains why biomes go dead as they do currently. Here's the card in its entirety:
    Road Map wrote:
    Don't delete a fish when a creature eats it, but instead save make it disappear and save out to disk. So if you leave the area and come back, the fish will come back to life.

You could even put a cooldown on the dead fish so that it only gets resurrected after a set period of time, so that depleting the local region of fish isn't immediately fixable by simply returning to the area.
  • JhadarSyJhadarSy Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215030Members
    Yeah, I've started cleansing areas of biters and such to preserve fish populations (Although I'm not sure I've actually seen them catch a fish) but I'm leaving the Reapers alone for now!
  • shadwoblade6662shadwoblade6662 Florida Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215038Members
    The Predators in this game are EVIL.... i was going for a peeper, and after a while of chase it slowed down just to be taken by one of em
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited March 2016
    This is why I get my farms established as soon as possible.

Awww... who's a good widdle baby Stalker? You are, yes you are--OW!
  • shadwoblade6662shadwoblade6662 Florida Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215038Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    This is why I get my farms established as soon as possible.

Awww... who's a good widdle baby Stalker? You are, yes you are--OW!

My feelings exactly

• raven2010raven2010 USA Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204980Members
    But at the same time it makes the game fun and alive.
    Seeing my actions on the world. I almost killed all the fish in my spawn zone. But I got smart and a farm going. Now I release them in to the wild. And boom it's back to how it was.
    It's fun and feels like it's something the character would do.

It made it harder. Make me think about how I'm going to keep alive if I run out of food.
    (Be for I get the to the inland )
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Yes, or, though not ideal, you can spawn new fish for the biomes.

I wonder what would happen if you spawned a reaper in the safe shallows. Would it stay there, die, or move to deeper water.