Yes, its about ladders .... again :)

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
edited March 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Gotta love them ladders, always in the ***** way when you try to go anywhere in a corridor with one in it. It rarely position to be put against a wall in a I or T shaped corridor but in a X corridor its impossible for it to be against a wall, itll be right in the middle blocking you access to the passage behind it.

The idea is (i think) pretty simple, wouldnt it be awesomesauce it the ladder could deploy when used then retract when left alone? that way the corridor would always be uncluttered by the ladders and we could move freely in it without any obstacle. Then if u need to use the ladder all you'd have to do is look up where the retracted ladder is giving you the option to activate it, It would then deploy rapidly and take you up to the next level then retract rapidly afterwards.

anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions on the subject ?

Comments

• ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    yes please considering i spend hours redesigning my base just because of those darn ladders. so folding ladders would be a godsend.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Having retractable laters would be a huge improvement. It'd be nice to not have to deal with having to move them all the time.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    walk through the areas with ladders remind me run of moose through the dense forest. Here good to fit some dubstep music (walk of drunk pinguin)...
    Plus this idea (folded ladders) can help in situation when the ladder to upper level of base placed in same point with ladder to lowest level. Now attempt to aim on 'click-zone' for UP/DOWN direction too hard. But if ladders will be 'parked' in floor or in ceiling we newer miss to desire direction. I think telescopic ladders can help
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    i really wonder if the devs monitor this Ideas and Suggestions forum, i never see one reply in these like they do in General Discussion or Bugs section :p
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    i really wonder if the devs monitor this Ideas and Suggestions forum, i never see one reply in these like they do in General Discussion or Bugs section :p

i know what you mean. how do we know that they haven't created this section so people feel they are listing but in fact they are not.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I hope the devs read this part of their forum, if not what's the point, and what a sad cruel joke that would be.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    They allways read, especially Obraxis - just believe. If they don't write their comments here - its not a fact they miss your post.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    The ladders can have a built in alcove like the seamoth upgrade to the moonpool. And automatically add more room for the ladder and also add a window. ;)
  • Chris01Chris01 95050 Join Date: 2015-11-19 Member: 209347Members
    edited March 2016
    Would be nice to have a way to put a ladder on the outside of a unit so you can get on top of a room unit. Would like to have the escape module roof hatch and floor hatch also.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    I just hate them, like you'v said, always on your way. I curse you gadget ladders !
    The ladders can have a built in alcove like the seamoth upgrade to the moonpool. And automatically add more room for the ladder and also add a window. ;)

I like it but what about ladders in connection tubes (it connect in middle of corridor section)? Any ideas?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited March 2016
    One thing that could be done without much work would be to allow rotating the ladders like the tubes when building them. I don't get it why the devs have avoided that option.

A futuristic solution would be to use ladderless vertical airshafts based on airstream flow and/or artificial gravity. Probably only for up or down direction and not bidirectional. No animation needed. You either sink to the bottom or raise up to the top. This could also function as a turbolift solution. We could have vertical glass shafts if no ladders are there. Again I haven't heard anything from the devs on airlifts through vertical connectors although the artwork or programming should be minimal.

So I try and dircectly ask the devs:

What is so bad about rotating ladders or using airlift in empty vertical connectors?

Oh, and I forgot that airlifts would send the player into raising or sinking mode and allow him to step out at any mid section with ease.

And I think the walking animation while falling to the bottom is already in the game.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    another option would be to simply make the ladders collision-less, meaning that you can see it there, access its function to go up/down, but can also pass right thru it as if it was not there. Thats mmuch less fun tho lol, but as efficient
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    another option would be to simply make the ladders collision-less, meaning that you can see it there, access its function to go up/down, but can also pass right thru it as if it was not there. Thats mmuch less fun tho lol, but as efficient

I'd prefer rotation on build with the only problem left ladders from the ceiling that block on any rotation. Those should be retractable as you said. But be aware that you still have a problem with an up/down ladder in the mid of a crossing. And what'd you do if climbing down to such a place and want to go back up again?

Right now what I miss most with ladders is an additional seamless up/down ladder that would replace the loose upper and lower ladder end. And of course the already mentioned rotation. I'd drop trying to place ladders in crossings and I'd prefer to place ladders in the diaoganal parts of a round room additionally. Finally I'd like to see bulkhead doors for vertical flood sealings on ladder ends. I hate to have a round room tower without flood seals.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members

I think, if the ladders have a revision, this is the best solution, this isn't a big mess for immersion when u know the shit for walk trough a complex base :)
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
    edited March 2016
    I like the idea of retractable ladders.

There's no climbing animation anyways. I'm not sure if it's not implemented or a design choice though.

If it's a design choice, another possibility would be to have ladder stop at the ceiling. The player would still be able to look up and hit climb, and the action that the character would take "behind the scenes" would be to jump slight, grab the bottom rung and pull themselves up onto the ladder.

Surely a person that spends days in the ocean would be fit enough to do what would probably amount to a few hundred pull-ups in a day!
    Dex_Luther wrote: »
    There's no climbing animation anyways. I'm not sure if it's not implemented or a design choice though.

Actually, i've discovered something about some soon-to-be-implemented Climbing Ladders Animations . Also, on that same To-Do list, it seems theyre also working on several different climbing ladders anims for both the Cyclops and the Moonpool as well as the ''enterring/exitting'' Cyclop's hatch and the different opening/closing doors inside the cyclops

How well will those animations be made will soon be ours to find out :smile:
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members

Actually, i've discovered something about some soon-to-be-implemented Climbing Ladders Animations . Also, on that same To-Do list, it seems theyre also working on several different climbing ladders anims for both the Cyclops and the Moonpool as well as the ''enterring/exitting'' Cyclop's hatch and the different opening/closing doors inside the cyclops

How well will those animations be made will soon be ours to find out :smile:

Interesting. I wouldn't mind there being a short little animation.

The character climbs a few rungs, screen goes black, then shows the character climbing out the top.

One thing I hope they don't do is make ladder climbing manual or show an animation along the whole length.
    One thing I hope they don't do is make ladder climbing manual or show an animation along the whole length.

Agreed
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Yes. So much yes on this suggestion. Not to mention a little cleanup on the top of a ladder. I cannot count the amount of times I've snagged on the top of a ladder while trying to walk past, or against a ladder in a room with a large aquarium.