[crazyidea]Skulk Sprint in place of walljumping?

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Alright this is insane I know, but think about it with me for a bit.

What if, Walljumping was replaced with a "charge" like movement for skulks. Basically sprinting, but it would work on walls and ceilings just as well as on the ground (i.e. it would have to ignore/gloss over a lot of the geo on walls).

Mechanics:
- Holding sprint accelerates speed, Doesn't happen instantly.
- While sprinting, turning control is lessened relative to how fast you're going.
- This speed can be maintained with our traditional jumping mechanics, but not added to. This will add in the craved element of skill, sprint to build momentum, then use our high flying acrobatics to dip dodge duck dive and dodge without losing that speed.
- Taking damage reduces acceleration.

The jumping mechanics also allows us to maintain our turning control while moving full speed.

This would open the world to allowing skulks to effectively use their wallwalking and ceiling walking when entering an engagement (three skulks: two sprinting on walls, one on floor; all moving at top speed)

Problem this is addressing:
WTF is Walljumping? Rookies that don't understand the most essential hidden mechanic in the game constantly moving slowly to get places and attack. The floor on this skill is hidden and a bit awkward.

Reason this solves it:
Sprinting is super intuitive. It's probably the most basic of all movement modifiers (This just makes me move faster, plain and simple). Which in turn lets people of all skills move places faster, without figuring out the hidden mechanics first. The skill is still there in the form of added control by jumping, which would be most useful around combat.

Problems this creates:
Movement modifier for Skulk is slience atm, which is what the sprint would have to replace to be intuitive. So.... There'd be three movement related keys for skulk: sprint, crouch/fall, and silent.

Worth a mod to figure out?

Comments

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    So, how do skulks walk?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    In NS1 you could do a slow sneak by tapping the forward key without holding the actual walk key. As long as you didn't accelerate past certain speed threshold (well below the full "forward key" speed), no footstep sounds were played.

Once you got the hang of it, it actually gave you better control over your movement than just a regular 'binary' walk key. However, it certainly isn't an intuitive thing if implemented just like that.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Aeglos wrote: »
    So, how do skulks walk?

Same as always?
    Calego wrote: »
    So, how do skulks walk?

Same as always?

Are you pretending you didn't just edit it in now?
    So, how do skulks walk?

Same as always?

I'm quite certian that "Post edited by Calego at 10:47AM" will clear this up.

But I probably didn't explicitly point out that Regular WASD wouldn't be affected by this. I'm just proposing an addition of a "Sprint" ability in addition to the WASD, rather than the confusing Wall Jump speed bonus mechanics.
    So, how do skulks walk?

Same as always?

I'm quite certian that "Post edited by Calego at 10:47AM" will clear this up.

But I probably didn't explicitly point out that Regular WASD wouldn't be affected by this. I'm just proposing an addition of a "Sprint" ability in addition to the WASD, rather than the confusing Wall Jump speed bonus mechanics.

Odd. Pretty certain it wasn't there when I posted. Sorry.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Get it in a mod. I like the idea of sprinting on the ceiling but I worry I will just run into some odd geometry and fall.
    Nordic wrote: »
    Get it in a mod. I like the idea of sprinting on the ceiling but I worry I will just run into some odd geometry and fall.

I haven't the foggiest where to start, but I'll see what I can come up with.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think the idea has merit, and maybe tieing the sprint to your energy would add depth to the mechanic... because then you can't just hold sprint forever, you have to learn to sprint, then wallhop to maintain momentum while you recover energy... personally I think it would be WAY more fun than the current system.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Something similar was tried in Sewlek's Balance mod, complete with the panting sound. While I can't recall the exact reason(s) why it was scrapped, I'm sure it was for a reason. Maybe @Sewlek can chime in.