Moving my base on the island

AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
Hello, i was thinking about moving my base onto the floater's island, you think it would be a good idea?

If the island got updated would my base disappear?

And are there any projects to put nearby it something dangers like...say a reaper? :sweat:

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    There used to be biters around the floater island but I haven't seen any around there for a long time. Other than that it's a peaceful place. As to the updates, I have no clue.
  • PiscatorPiscator Belgium Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211434Members
    Isn't a reaper already lurking in the depths of this island ? I remember worrying screams while wandering right there some times ago ...
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    @Piscator

That would be the mountain island, there is indeed a reaper that patrols it.
    You're right : I've mistaken the "Floater's island" for the "Underwater islands" (wich, I think, do have another reaper patrolling them ?)
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    I used to confuse the two islands as well - but now it's fairly obvious that floater island has 'floater' balls holding it up underneath and is actually floating whereas the mountain island is (as far as I can tell) attached to the bottom by rock in the traditional way. I haven't actually gone down in there - terrified of the local Reaper haha!
    Vexare wrote: »
    I haven't actually gone down in there - terrified of the local Reaper haha!

He, he ! The worst about reapers is when, diving deeply, you suddenly realise there is one of them moving somewhere around you. You're just hearing horrifying shouts in the dark, but you simply can't locate it precisely because of the lack of light. Brrrr ! This is just traumatic !
    And are there any projects to put nearby it something dangers like...say a reaper? :sweat:

So, this area still looks safe (until now). Do we know if UWE are planning to modify some of the creature's typical places until the game is finished ?
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    I would say go for it if you want, but remember it is near the edge of the map, which may be inconvenient.
  • El_Flex0rEl_Flex0r Join Date: 2016-01-17 Member: 211562Members
    Piscator wrote: »
    So, this area still looks safe (until now). Do we know if UWE are planning to modify some of the creature's typical places until the game is finished ?
    The Wiki says the Sea Treader is supposed to live in the Grand Reef in the future. Don't know if it will be dangerous or not.
    subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Sea_Treader

• BoltWardenBoltWarden Canada Join Date: 2016-01-14 Member: 211402Members
    Floater Island currently has very little in the way of resources/materials/etc. this is just speculation, but if any location in the game is due for some major updates, it would be Floater Island.

That said, I don't think it's next in line at this point. The only environment focused changes I see in the Trello for the next major update are for 'Lost River'
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    I think if someone's playing in creative mode and wants to play around with a massive 'land base' - floater island is beautiful!

In survival mode (if you're opted in on experimental branch) you could feasibly be self-sufficient on floater island with large aquarium tanks to produce food fish for you and a water purifier machine. I thought about trying it but then the idea of transporting all those materials back and forth made me feel lazy haha. If you prepared ahead... filled up your Cyclops with lockers full of everything you need to build a self-sufficient island home, it would be very doable.

Now whether or not that means they end up changing the island significantly and you lose all your hard work due to resets or something, no one can say.