Commander Question:

KaMiKaZe1KaMiKaZe1 Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9196Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it worth it...</div> Is it worth it to get an Observatory and Motion Tracking right off the bat, as opposed to the seemingly standard TF + 3 turrets? I have been on a marine team that did this and won, but in your opinions, is it more viable? I mean, the ability to see every Skulk on the map as well as any clumsy Gorges seems to be more useful then a few bad tracking turrets, but in practice this may not be the case... Let me know your opinions on this strategy.

Comments

• StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    The only argument against it that I can think of is that a binch of marines will be yelling "Get some turrets here!!!!111" and there will be a vote to eject you.

With decent marines though, this is probably a very good idea.

Best round as a COMM I have had was when I built neither an armory or a turret factory, but instead had the marines fend of the first skulk rush, then head out and take over the map while two marines stayed to defend spawn. Worked like a charm, but only because the marines were good.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--Stoneburg+Nov 26 2002, 03:28 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Stoneburg @ Nov 26 2002, 03:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    With decent marines though, this is probably a very good idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea, if you get good marines with a non-noob commander, marines usually wins on pub servers. Of course, if the aliens have a gorge that knows how to build and a few ace skulks, it will be a tough fight... and a good game.
  • KhaimKhaim Join Date: 2002-06-28 Member: 841Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    good idea, but you will be stuck doing one of 2 things
    1: waiting till you can set up good defenses before moving, and commanding, time is money, (or at least it is in my strategies)
    2: leaving a med-large group of marines to defend, making your attacks much weaker.
    Its your choice.