Vulkan & Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2017
    BloodyIron wrote: »
    My Windows brethren meanwhile are having fun getting like 120-200 FPS :(

At max settings? If only...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    coolitic wrote: »

I get that... ;)
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You MONSTERS!... err, I mean... okay ;)

BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Bit of a rez here, but I'm gaming on Linux, and NS2 runs good enough for now. I'd love to see Vulkan though so I can get some seriously mad FPS! My Windows brethren meanwhile are having fun getting like 120-200 FPS :(

If we add Vulkan support, your "Windows brethren" would also see that speed boost. :)

• BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    At any settings? I have to go to medium to get stable FPS, but if I go to all-low, my FPS doesn't go above 60, which is weird and I suspect may just be an API limitation or something. I've monitored my CPU though, it's not the bottleneck.

Buddy is on an... R9-270 in windows (IIRC) and is getting 120-200FPS on the regular, I can't recall if he's on medium or high though.
    coolitic wrote: »

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Since this is here anyway, does anyone have a grasp of how efficient Vulkan is with the CPU? At least the initial claim was that it utilizes cores well and takes away quite a bit of CPU overhead in general. Seems like a pretty cool thing for CPU heavy games like NS2 even if the actual CPU hogs are still on the script side.
    At any settings? I have to go to medium to get stable FPS, but if I go to all-low, my FPS doesn't go above 60, which is weird and I suspect may just be an API limitation or something. I've monitored my CPU though, it's not the bottleneck.
    Any chance it's something screen freq or vsync related? Vsync is the usual reason for 60 FPS cap.
    Vsync is off, maxfps is set to 200, and the monitor is set to 120hz, so AFAIK it should go over 60fps if it can, maybe I'm missing something but I am not sure what it could be. If I could get above 60FPS currently that'd be rad!

Vulkan though is awesome for CPU load, DOOM sees massive performance gains switching from OpenGL to Vulkan. It's madness!

Bacillus wrote: »
    Since this is here anyway, does anyone have a grasp of how efficient Vulkan is with the CPU? At least the initial claim was that it utilizes cores well and takes away quite a bit of CPU overhead in general. Seems like a pretty cool thing for CPU heavy games like NS2 even if the actual CPU hogs are still on the script side.
    Any chance it's something screen freq or vsync related? Vsync is the usual reason for 60 FPS cap.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    On Nvidia Side everthing under a GTX980 doesnt give any extra FPS with Vulkan.
    The only Nvidia Card that has an significant fps boost is the gtx1080.

Im pretty sure that the Doom benchamrks are more of a techdemo, cause there is the MASSIVE ammount of 4 games available with Vulkan support:
    The Talos Principle
    Dota 2
    Doom
    vkQuake – A Vulkan Quake

Also you need a real fast CPU to see a noticable fps boost.
    So on a low to midrange pc you wont see any difference with Vulkan.
    edited March 2017
    You disagree? @BloodyIron
    UtsUdzqdERahLdRuoXTNK7.png
    On AMD side it looks a bit better, but i was talking about NVIDIA.

You disagree about the need for an fast CPU?
    https://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/dota-2-vulkan-benchmark/#diagramm-dota-2-reborn-1920-1080-i7-6700k-replay

You disagree the fact that you cant find any new benchmarks 8 month after the 1st Hype and that there still only 4 games available aka techdemo?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Video_games

I disagree that you need a 1080 to see gains from Vulkan in DOOM, because I've seen plenty of other GPUs see massive gaines for DOOM switching to Vulkan mode. Proof's in the pudding buster.
    edited March 2017
    Well, looks like the guys from PCGamer cant bench correctly then.
    And the guys from Computerbase cant bench also.

A gtx970 had 1 fps more with vulkan, i would not call this massive.
    And as i told you, its a bit better with AMD Cards
    fEdFvTP7yAScwDNvik5RC5.png

But even there: The faster the card, the higher is the fps improvement.

So a low end to midrange system wont see much of a difference cause the CPU is also a factor.