"Same Version" server browser tag filter / default ON

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
So when the game gets updated we dont have to keep trying a bunch of different servers to try and find one that's up to date.

As many i'm sure know, server providers can be pretty slack in keeping your paid-for servers updated on time. this leads to many frustrations when updates are released as it can be effort to find a server that you want to play, and are able to play.

Also newbies/ the less informed could conceivably click a few un-updated servers, conclude the game is totally screwed and never touch it again. Bit melodramatic perhaps but i'm sure you get my point.

Yes? No? Da? Niet?

Comments

• BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    I agree but:
    I think it would be better to directly implement an auto-server update on map change.
    And that feature should also disable server mods. (As it's done for client side)

Mods should also have a displayed build version supported. And if the supported build differ from the current one, user (for client mod) or admin (for server mod) would be warn by some messages / red highlighting.

Mods version should be upgradeable by either the developer / the CDT / "automatic validation procedure --TBD"
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Bof wrote: »
    I agree but:
    I think it would be better to directly implement an auto-server update on map change.
    And that feature should also disable server mods. (As it's done for client side)

Mods should also have a displayed build version supported. And if the supported build differ from the current one, user (for client mod) or admin (for server mod) would be warn by some messages / red highlighting.

Mods version should be upgradeable by either the developer / the CDT / "automatic validation procedure --TBD"

In an ideal world yes I agree entirely, but there are quite a few hurdles to getting those various features up. My proposal is most definitely a band-aid but would go some ways towards aleviating issues with updates.

@Medasp Have you seen this thread? Seems like the kind of thing you would be able to do
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    During recent patches, all servers worth their bits were done and finished in 30 minutes.

As long as your client is updated, it's server browser will only show updated servers.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    HellwireD wrote: »
    During recent patches, all servers worth their bits were done and finished in 30 minutes.

As long as your client is updated, it's server browser will only show updated servers.

Not entirely true and i guess that's where the confusion comes from:

Servers from your history and favorites are not filtered after their build version! But all others are.

Maybe the build filter should also be applied on those servers from favorites and the history but could be a pain in the *** to realize.

@Bof We thought about such a system before, but in the end it would require modders to update their mods either with each update (what for example for xhairs would be pointless).
    Or we would need to trust that modders set up the mod categories correctly , and believe me that wasn't working in the past ...

In the end we decided to go with disabling client mods at each update and leave the servers to the server ops. Because imho we should never touch the mapcycle.json .

I trust here into the users to avoid not well maintained servers.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    HellwireD wrote: »

Not entirely true and i guess that's where the confusion comes from:

Servers from your history and favorites are not filtered after their build version! But all others are.

Maybe the build filter should also be applied on those servers from favorites and the history but could be a pain in the *** to realize.

@Bof We thought about such a system before, but in the end it would require modders to update their mods either with each update (what for example for xhairs would be pointless).
    Or we would need to trust that modders set up the mod categories correctly , and believe me that wasn't working in the past ...

In the end we decided to go with disabling client mods at each update and leave the servers to the server ops. Because imho we should never touch the mapcycle.json .

I trust here into the users to avoid not well maintained servers.
    @GhoulofGSG9
    How about a "Same version YES/NO" column in the browser, or in the server info box? Letting the user know whether they're able to connect before they actually attempt to do so would be useful, and this seems like the easiest way to do so I guess?