Cinematic Editor level fly-through

FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
Does anyone know how to make a fly-through with the cinematic editor? I have no clue where the file saves to when I render the animations.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
  • FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to convert the cinematic files into a video file so I can edit it layer on.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Fivz wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make a fly-through with the cinematic editor? I have no clue where the file saves to when I render the animations.

It doesn't really work that well. :( See, the cinematic editor only has two interpolation modes: linear, and some weird S-shaped spline type that you have no control over. So unless you plan on having a lot of cuts in your fly-through -- which would sort of defeat the purpose of having a fly-through -- then you're going to be dealing with really jerky camera motion, or motion that's smooth but starts and stops really irritatingly.

On top of that, cinematics in the map do NOT show up when the map is opened in the cinematic editor, so you'll need to re-place all of those -- I had to do this for all the fans in tram when I made that looping menu fly-through that Soul_Rider linked.
    Well It's either that or I do it manually in game. If there's a way to control the camera speed in game then the whole process would be a lot easier.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well It's either that or I do it manually in game. If there's a way to control the camera speed in game then the whole process would be a lot easier.

Have you tried using the speed command with cheats on in spectate? That might get you what you're after.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    That's because fans in tram are dynamic props. Use the film command in console with cheats on, or while in the RR
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Does any one have an example of a flying dropship in cinematic editor?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    That's because fans in tram are dynamic props. Use the film command in console with cheats on, or while in the RR

Oops, you're right, it's dynamic props that don't show up... though I'm tempted to say that cinematics don't either... but don't quote me on that.
    Cinematics don't, neither do decals. Any entities from the editor won't show up in the cinematic editor. Any dev layers will also show up, like pathing.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I forgot about the film command!!
    You aren't the only one. Only like 3% of the active player base knows about it :/
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Have you tried using the speed command with cheats on in spectate? That might get you what you're after.

awesome I think I'll do just that. Thanks a lot everyone!

SamusDroid wrote: »
    Cinematics don't, neither do decals. Any entities from the editor won't show up in the cinematic editor. Any dev layers will also show up, like pathing.

I *think* occlusion works though. Don't quite recall...