As far as Saves are Concerned.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

One last post before I get hammered on posting too much.

I have been playing "The Long Dark", and I don't know how much you have thought about when to have a save happen, but I was thinking that the game will only save when you enter your pod or sub. This way it would put you in a situation where you either risk picking up that last piece of coral or gold nugget, and do you start back now before it's gets dark sort of thing.

Often times when playing the game The Long Dark I get greedy, and forget how far I have to travel back to my shelter, and what time of day its is not too mention how the weather can change from a balmy -15 to a nasty -30 degrees without windchill, and being caught in a whiteout.

Just thinking...

Comments

• GarukorGarukor Österreich Join Date: 2014-11-21 Member: 199748Members
    Very good idea :)) atleast in the survival mode it should be that way :)
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    Yeah i think this would be best. Gives your base a safe feeling and prevents worrying about savescum nonsense that is immersion breaking.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Long Dark focuses on survival, I really hope Subnautica focuses on exploration. And if it does focuses on exploration forcing player back to the pod just to save isn't a good idea in my opinion. Saving in the sub would be better, but then why bother? Sub is always less than a dive away (although it might be a good system in technical sense, less variables to save)

Ideally though i wouldn't mind having a full save anywhere and anytime system with an optional Iron Man mode which would allow saving only in the sub and even then perhaps only on exit of the game.

P.S. I have two small children, any game that lets me quit on a 5 seconds notice without loosing my progress gets my deep appreciation.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited December 2014
    Nairit wrote: »
    Long Dark focuses on survival, I really hope Subnautica focuses on exploration. And if it does focuses on exploration forcing player back to the pod just to save isn't a good idea in my opinion. Saving in the sub would be better, but then why bother? Sub is always less than a dive away (although it might be a good system in technical sense, less variables to save)

Ideally though i wouldn't mind having a full save anywhere and anytime system with an optional Iron Man mode which would allow saving only in the sub and even then perhaps only on exit of the game.

P.S. I have two small children, any game that lets me quit on a 5 seconds notice without loosing my progress gets my deep appreciation.

Hi.

It will be a mixture of both I suspect. As it stands for the moment there are three modes of game play, Normal, Free Roam, and Hardcore.

I suspect the normal & free roam will be for adventure & exploration where Hardcore would force you to take what you are doing more seriously, and have the option for only one game save (when you arrive at your base).

I hope the developers do not adopt a Walt Disney attitude for Hardcore mode otherwise I'm out.

Normal or Free roam okay, take the save anywhere attitude, but add in one save for Hardcore mode.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    While I do agree with you in some points I'd only accept those arguments if it's an auto save feature enforcing constant saves on you (as it is currently for the time the session lasts).

I saw this with many games already, people asking for savegames being disabled. But if it's just a personal thing for you then the best and only solution isto just not save. That'll make the gameplay experience hard for you but still leaves the option to save for others.

I doubt this game is aimed at hardcore and gore gamers. But I'd assume it'll be hardcore enough already if co-op / multiplayer will ever be added (as saves won't work there).
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    dottedfish wrote: »
    I saw this with many games already, people asking for savegames being disabled. But if it's just a personal thing for you then the best and only solution isto just not save.

That isn't the point I was trying to make actually. Being able to save whenever you wish takes away from the threat of being killed. I'm not against saving whenever but I am hoping that the developers will see the thrill in fearing for your characters life in this hostile environment.

Now not saving is useless simply because (I can only speak for myself) I can't sit for up to Five to Ten hours in one sitting just so I can see how far I can get... Pretty much pointless really, and I sure do not want to craft something over, and over again.

As far as hardcore is concerned (it is an option), allowing for the one save feature such as the game only saving when you reach your home either it be your life boat, or the cyclops makes sense since you are out in a hostile environment, and you will pay with your life if you take liberties such as hanging out at a depth of Six hundred feet, and one kilometer away from your safety net makes sense since you are open to attack, and will add greatly to the fear factor of being alone with very little to defend yourself with especially if you are that far away when nighttime approaches.

For me I like the thrill of being afraid, and in fear for my characters life. Without it I feel like I am playing a Walt Disney game which I really don't want.

Just my opinion on the matter.