[Guide] Editor Layer/Group list and hidden tools

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited December 2014 in Mapping
This guide is meant to provide map creators with a list of possible layer and group names that are used by the game, as well as other hidden things not obvious.
Over time I've added a bunch of things that you would not really know about unless you were told. I decided to finally make a list.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=351327660

Comments

• MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Great stuff! I didn't know about the InvisibleGeometry one and actually made a separate material that functions the same way without being in a group. Could've saved me a few minutes of work, but it doesn't really matter. Material info in there is also very useful!
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I didn't knew about the CommanderInvisibleVents. Could have saved me the time to think of a workaround^^
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    If there is a feature like above you want added to the editor post it here and I'll see about adding it.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited December 2014
    snap to grid would be useful, least i think it would. It would allow you to select vertices and instantly have them moved to the closest grid points of your current selected grid size. This was useful in source editor.

also the texture scale issues, you apply a texture and then begin to stretch it to the right but it stretches both ways is annoying. You can work with it but it slows down texture alignment considerably.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Having the possibility to have separate names for the vents layer. In example it would be something like Production has a vent going out from the room, I would add several layers for geometry, props, lights etc. Would look something like:

[Layers]
    Vents_Production_Geo
    Vents_Production_Props
    Vents_Production_Lights
    etc

I like to keep everything neat and tidy. And this would help a lot in doing just that. Also would be useful when working on a certain vent and you need to hide everything else to get a clean ortographic view. If you hide the main vents layer it will just hide whatever you're working on at the moment. At least for me as I like to put anything I add into layers right away so I don't have to go and select everything again to add it.

I imagine it would be as simple as checking layers for "vents/vents_" to determine to give them color on minimaps and anything after that in the name("_prod_geo etc") would be optional.

Is this doable?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    As that is done engine side, I'm not sure. I'm sure it would be though.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    MasterG wrote: »
    Having the possibility to have separate names for the vents layer. In example it would be something like Production has a vent going out from the room, I would add several layers for geometry, props, lights etc. Would look something like:

[Layers]
    Vents_Production_Geo
    Vents_Production_Props
    Vents_Production_Lights
    etc

I like to keep everything neat and tidy. And this would help a lot in doing just that. Also would be useful when working on a certain vent and you need to hide everything else to get a clean ortographic view. If you hide the main vents layer it will just hide whatever you're working on at the moment. At least for me as I like to put anything I add into layers right away so I don't have to go and select everything again to add it.

I imagine it would be as simple as checking layers for "vents/vents_" to determine to give them color on minimaps and anything after that in the name("_prod_geo etc") would be optional.

Is this doable?

You can have geometry/props belong to multiple layers. Groups are exclusive, though.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    You can have geometry/props belong to multiple layers. Groups are exclusive, though.

I know this, but then I would need to hide even more layers to achieve what I want. I'd like to be as productive as possible and right now I probably have above 150 layers in my map.

And I thought Veil had a lot of layers....150 that's a lot!
    edited December 2014
    MasterG wrote: »

[Layers]
    Vents_Production_Geo
    Vents_Production_Props
    Vents_Production_Lights
    etc

Is this doable?

only the geo has to be in the vents layer the rest you can put them in whatever named layer you like since they dont really show up on the minimap

i have the geo and props in vents layer, then i have vents lighting for the lighting and vents prop detail for the non esential props.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    What I've been doing is have:

Vents
    Vents Geometry
    Vents Props
    Vents Lights

Geo goes in Vents and Vents Geometry, props go in Vents and Vents props, and lights just go in Vents Lights. I don't think I've had any vents overlap in the orthographic views, so there's been no reason to split them any further.
    i also use a seperate level file for the overview, with modifications to make the overview look right