Terra-forming to attract a specific species for farming.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
I have been trying to figure out exactly what is the point of Terra-forming, and it occurred to me that this would be useful for attracting, and creating your own coral reef which would attract a particular species you know to be high in protein, and be used for farming.

Example: Cute Fish or Hole Fish (whatever fish) hangs out, and calls a particular coral reef their home (who knows for what reason). So I decide to harvest some of the coral, and extract seedlings from my samples. I then create my cave system (Keeps me safe from roaming predators), and I plant those seeds so they will begin to grow into a thriving part of the ecosystem which in time will attract the species I am interested in to harvest for food.

Comments

• NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    edited November 2014
    Yesssss. I would love to carve out a safe bountiful ecosystem out of the harsh ocean. Spruce up the area around my base at least!

This would add incentive to go explore because you want to discover new plants and animals you can bring back and integrate into your ecosystem(s) you are building.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    Norton wrote: »
    Yesssss. I would love to carve out a safe bountiful ecosystem out of the harsh ocean. Spruce up the area around my base at least!

This would add incentive to go explore because you want to discover new plants and animals you can bring back and integrate into your ecosystem(s) you are building.

Exactly but I am sure it will be rejected out of hand.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    Personally I made my own fish storage cave, with a tiny entrance so I gather the fish, put them in my cave, and then let them out in my cave.

Kind of like a sand aquarium. :)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I'd like to create a drilling sub to build myself a complete submarine base.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    zetachron wrote: »
    I'd like to create a drilling sub to build myself a complete submarine base.

Like mining ships in space engineers?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Haven't got space engineers, although somewhere on my wishlist. But I think a drilling sub would be fun.