F2P

13»

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I look forward with interest to that announcement, @Hugh.

On a side note, I thought that adding custom skins/models was problematic due to memory footprint, or has that issue been resolved?
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    I couldn't careless, The game needs more players. Do what ever it takes to make that happen.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    It's probably a good idea to try a free weekend again, to gauge the amount of interest and potential playerbase increase from going F2P. Although I think it's still too soon to go F2P, if that would be considered in the first place. I'm sure there's still room for some sales, and it's not like servers are dying all over the place. Still a good core +1000 players active it seems according to steamcharts.

I do think that once sales and playerbase are dwindling down too much to be meaningful, going F2P would be nice to give NS2 some more lifespan.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cosmetic items don't make me enjoy the game more, I already own the most desired skin which is no longer obtainable. The worry would be pay-to-win, which I have faith won't happen, ever.

Having new players is cool but getting them to a level where it makes playing fun with the 'veterans' is the hard part. That is what we need to work on as a community. New players not listening to the commander, the commander gets frustrated etc then shouting matches is the worst part. Too many spoon fed on a CoD diet and don't know how to play as a team.

I also wonder how many who gave away their free copy still have that person playing?
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    There are currently plans to conduct experiments that, if they prove various hypotheses, could change the future of NS2 and ensure that it receives attention, content, and events (for example, the World Championship) that belie its mature state and set it apart substantially from the traditional life cycle of mature products. The World Championship badge DLC was the first of those tests, and you will see another one within 30 days - Along with an explanation of what the hell we are testing.
    @Fulgo, your question is controversial, and has clearly riled up an impassioned debate. That is a good thing!

Hrmmm... not sure if I should be excited or concerned.

I shall wait to see the announcement obviously though.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    <--- Would pay $50 for that SMG model that turns into the NS1 rifle
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a "Free-To-Play-Week", similar to "Free-To-Play-Weekends" ? Would that work as a testbed?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd pay for the NS1 LMG remake that was made. My understanding of the mod is that there are 3 different version of the gun for all 3 weapon levels. I'll take all of them please. : D

Nice post from Hugh, I agree with everything in there. There are already cosmetic items however laying around that can be taken advantage of, in particular the models and animations by Ice like the LMG I mentioned above.

Modders getting their stuff into the game is a nice incentive I think. That and getting a payout is what drives the Valve game workshops.
  • dav3ybdav3yb Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185313Members
    I think they need to fix their prices on Steam. 15 for the game, and 15 for the delux upgrade, or ... 40 for both! WHAT A DEAL.

at this point they should probably just drop the price to 9.99 since its on sale so much for 5. or even just drop the price to 5 to get anyone who doesn't have a copy and wants to try to make that impulse buy.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    I'd pay for the NS1 LMG remake that was made. My understanding of the mod is that there are 3 different version of the gun for all 3 weapon levels. I'll take all of them please. : D

Nice post from Hugh, I agree with everything in there. There are already cosmetic items however laying around that can be taken advantage of, in particular the models and animations by Ice like the LMG I mentioned above.

Modders getting their stuff into the game is a nice incentive I think. That and getting a payout is what drives the Valve game workshops.

Only problem was (from what I recall) the authors did not want people to pay to use their work. They wanted it to be free to use for everyone.

That being said, this is more of a Shutupandtakemymoney scenario for me.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    I would welcome the F2P, especially if we get more of these 250+ required servers.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    The voracity of debate in this thread shows us we will easily be playing NS2 for another few years. A lot of people joining in the last couple of years have really embraced this game, new players are still apparent *today*, all this despite our 10 year veiled pessimism (and we are still here too, remember ;) ).

Damn I love this game!
  • orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    The voracity of debate in this thread shows us we will easily be playing NS2 for another few years. A lot of people joining in the last couple of years have really embraced this game, new players are still apparent *today*, all this despite our 10 year veiled
    pessimism (and we are still here too, remember ;) ).

Damn I love this game!

This game is run away from retards, i think i maybe wrong, that most of ns2playerbase is over 18, and we may talk as much as we want, but if this go f2p, ns2 must get pro,or semi/pro lobby or game will die or become oveflow with quiters,hackers,desperados,mugs,thugs...

• ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    There are currently plans to conduct experiments that, if they prove various hypotheses, could change the future of NS2 and ensure that it receives attention, content, and events (for example, the World Championship) that belie its mature state and set it apart substantially from the traditional life cycle of mature products.
    Combat F2P confirmed.

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Roobubba wrote: »

On a side note, I thought that adding custom skins/models was problematic due to memory footprint, or has that issue been resolved?

Memory use is unfortunately something that we have to consider when thinking about additional content, yes.

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »

Memory use is unfortunately something that we have to consider when thinking about additional content, yes.
    What are the statistics of 32 bit OSs anymore? Let alone those who play NS2.

Strange that someone would knowingly grab a 32 bit OS any longer consider how long 64bit has been available (13 years?).
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited March 2014
    I doubt F2P will help at this point, it might increase the average but i think the game has only ever managed to keep its core fans,it always drops to between 600 to 1000 players which is pretty much all there's ever really been or likely to be.

I think uwe let ns2 down in some ways, poor mod support, silly mistakes and choices, the focus on competitive small teams. Ns2 was a success for them but perhaps not so much for us. As a purely multiplayer game it should of had a lot more maps, mods and players by now, they focused on the wrong things like competitive vs public, as you can see by large servers being popular, if they focused on the majority of players wishes things would be different today.

Anyway having said that they've made their money so they may as well try, perhaps they can squeeze some life out of it and set right what seems to be wrong, id rather play an active fun ns2 than the repetitive often frustrating game play we get.

It can be great, the potential has always been there!