Any plans for AMD Mantle support?

RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
So, NS2 is one of the rare games where you can switch between rendering API's and i was wondering, we have D3D9, D3D11 and OpenGL. And i'm hoping UWE would also add AMD Mantle. If you don't know, AMD Mantle is an AMD specific high performance API that has a much more direct connection to the hardware and thus offers much higher performance. And better performance never hurts right?

Comments

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    +1 as it has a lot reduced CPU overhead apparently, and thats just what we need. Its a bit far-fetched, but at least I have a GCN GPU so I could use it :D
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    dwcc8KO.png

Would have to ask if it's worth the time tbh, there are probably other things they could do that would be more helpful to more people.

EDIT: As it has been pointed out to me, this post is misinformation, please scroll down and see a more correct post below.
  • SmashITSmashIT Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185504Members
    I have to agree with ghost although it we are talking GPU not CPU's here
    Could only find the GPU market share for Q1 this year, this is how it looks like this from this article.
    Q12013%20Market%20Share.jpg

If there is going to be linux support for AMD mantle it would be a possible alternative to opengl but at present the only confirmation is on windows, as well as talk it is unlikely to be implemented on xbox one and PS4.

So far only frostbite 3 / BF4 are confirmed using it and only on windows..
    Not to say it might become an awesome idea in the future but I can think of a load of changes opening more doors for the spark engine over adding this as it stands right now.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Ah, I keep forgetting AMD bought out ATI :| I just assume that AMD means cpus.

Even still,

xu2hqIB.png

While the percentage is better for gpus than cpus, my point still stands.

EDIT: Also steam call it ATI, fk yeah, old school.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    While the percentage is better for gpus than cpus, my point still stands.
    EDIT: Also steam call it ATI, fk yeah, old school.
    And again I have to agree with you.
    I always forget about the steam stats...
    I do wonder how that GPU mix would look with origin users.

The only way I would see Mantle being worthwhile for UWE is if it was supported by xboxone and/or PS4 but only if they had plans to develop spark for those consoles in the future.

I personally think taking the linux/steamOS - openGL - NVIDIA path as a focus is the right one for them now.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think at this point in NS2's life, it's lucky we're still even getting new maps. Honestly, I can't see them adding support for this 1) because that's a lot of extra work for an old product that isn't getting any newer, and 2) once they add support for it, that's just one extra thing they have to keep up to date.

Honestly I wouldn't even want this. I would want them to spend those resources in some other area. Also... I'm a nvidia user... ;)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Why start to support a new api if the spark engine isn't optimized for the rest of the apis as it should be? As Mantle is pretty new, and the uwe team is not planning to port ns2 for the new generation of video game consoles there is no point to add mantle support.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If it is easy to implement, as to only take them a few days at most, then why not. If it is not then I don't think they should bother.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I highly doubt it would be trivial to implement given how long OpenGL and D3D11 have taken to get stable. It's possible, though it's really up to Max and whether he thinks it would be worthwhile.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    From AMD's words, Mantle API support is easy to implement since it's compatible with DirectX HLSL which NS2 already utilizes for D3D API... You still have to incorporate it which clearly requires work and the end user needs a GCN powered AMD card. Which means any HD7000, HD8000 or R series card.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't feel it's worth it given all the trouble DX11 and OpenGL has caused.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, in all honesty, AMD Mantle is what Glide did to Voodoo cards. Or S3 Metal to S3 cards. And trust me, it IS worth it. I was playing UT99 using S3TC high resolution textures with high framerate on a crappy S3 Savage3D 8MB card. I could never reach such framerates using the same card with D3D or OGL. In fact many users of much higher end cards like Voodoo or RivaTNT couldn't get such smooth framerate through D3D.

Not sure what problems are you talking about, i'm playing the game using D3D11 since it was introduced and i never had any issues. I only had it with D3D9 with shadows sometimes going funky. But that only happened like twice.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Let us at least wait until the first game with Mantle support and the first graphics card with Mantle support is out...
    As i said, all GCN powered graphic cards already support Mantle (HD7000 series and up). It's just a matter of developers to add Mantle API to their games. First known to support it will be Battlefield 4...
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Hey guys, AMD Mantle is an open standard( correct me if I'm wrong) and AMD has said that anyone can write a driver that's compatible with it. Heck, I think Nvidia already put out a beta driver with mantle support for the battlefield 4 beta.

Just saying.
    What would be the point of nVidia making a driver for something only in AMD hardware.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What would be the point of nVidia making a driver for something only in AMD hardware.

I think I read somewhere that it's supposed to break windows' monopoly on gaming pcs, as DirectX is only compatible with windows, and virtually the only relevant API. It's supposed to run on all platforms.

This is no facts. I think I read it somewhere.
    So much misinformation in this thread it just makes me cringe :))

Yeah, give me Mantle, and the game will run smooth as butter for me.
    SmashIT wrote: »
    I personally think taking the linux/steamOS - openGL - NVIDIA path as a focus is the right one for them now.

So you are saying they should focus only on Nvidia GPU's? Oh yeah, thats a great plan, no wait, which one is the better manufacturer right now... :-bd
    ...nVidia? *shakes head* wat?

Also no, don't only focus on nvidia gpus, just don't pour time and money into something that will help out very few.
    ...nVidia? *shakes head* wat?

Also no, don't only focus on nvidia gpus, just don't pour time and money into something that will help out very few.

If it makes the game truly playable at least to those few its worth it compared to right now.
    Why not work on something that could do that...but for everyone?
    shonan wrote: »
    SmashIT wrote: »

So you are saying they should focus only on Nvidia GPU's? Oh yeah, thats a great plan, no wait, which one is the better manufacturer right now... :-bd

Nope I never said they should 'only' focus on that...
    However improving those things to a time frame that works with steamOS and steambox releases will likely bring a lot more extra sales with some fresh players / stayers to NS2.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    AMD announced that Mantle is open source, and that it would be able to run on other GPU vendors platforms (read nVidia). Also do you think nVidia are against this? Anything which means they no longer get tied into directX is a good thing, it showcases their cards in a much better light than DX ever would.

I hope, if nothing else, that Mantle causes MS to buck it's ideas up and have a complete rethink around it's DirectX implementation and strategy, so not only do they make it a lot smoother and faster, but maybe will release the API publicly.. Although, I am probably dreaming...
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    dwcc8KO.png

Would have to ask if it's worth the time tbh, there are probably other things they could do that would be more helpful to more people.

Mantle is a GPU API. Not CPU.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just ordered my HD 7950 PCS+, so I'm very open to that suggestion =D>
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I bet against AMD Mantle, I do not think it has a chance to succeed.

AMD is losing to Intel in the area of CPU (where both may be losing to ARM long term). In the GPU arena, AMD is losing to NVidia. So this may be their management's shot to reverse the trend - to provide something unique yet useful and carve up their secure position on the market like 3Dfx did once.

But there is a problem - 3Dfx succeeded because it was first to bring a huge innovation - their first card brought filtered textures and HW rendering, huge performance and quality improvement. Yet the proprietary API finally became hindrance - there were technological limits they could not pass due to the low level API being too tied to the HW ( no 32bit color, etc. ), and the trend was to move to a generic, HW independent API that would simplify development. Performance boost may be nice, but I don't think it will outweigh the need to optimize and write the code for different graphic libraries - and Mantle being low level means you need intimate knowledge of the HW, similar to the ancient assembler programmers who wrote those amazing 8bit games nobody thought would be possible to run. Few companies have budget and knowhow for that.

The best outcame I can see is some guru like Carmack writing some new, revolutionary engine that will be able to really take advantage of the low level optimizations, and other companies licensing it for their games. But I think you can forget about average game dev company using it to its full potential. Plus, I don't believe the hype so much, I think the performance gains will be only slight, not decisive. What could be achieved, though, would be smoother, more balanced performance overall, which might be worth it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »
    The best outcame I can see is some guru like Carmack writing some new, revolutionary engine that will be able to really take advantage of the low level optimizations, and other companies licensing it for their games.
    Frostbite engine and Crytech engine look to take advantage of amd mantle.

Kalabalana wrote: »
    dwcc8KO.png

Mantle is a GPU API. Not CPU.

Which is why I went and posted the GPU stats right after that being pointed out.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Used to buy ATI, but eventually I noticed that Nvidia cards have far less problems than the ATI cards I bought so I switched. ATI would have to fix a lot of problems before I'd consider buying another card from them. The other problem is they're talking about this stuff really only being useful with a small range of cards. So that really narrows down the number of people using it, realistically only about 5-7% of players on Steam currently meet that requirement. Surprisingly the most used graphics adapters are intel integrated, which I wouldn't expect from a gaming platform. So I guess my 2 cents is, not worth it and I wouldn't expect Mantle to really do anything all that great and will most likely go the way of 3dFX as previously mentioned.