NS2 Xbox 360

2»

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I play NS2 with my xbox360 controller all the time and I do well. I often have the most points by the end of the game on both marines and aliens. On average I get about 30-6 KD on aliens.

Not sure if trolling... Vid plz ;)

• Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    @carlgm i was under the impression it was more like a 7970m, so essentially a high end laptop graphics card, which is basically a renamed, and downclocked to 850mhz 7870, an upper mid-range desktop graphics card, with cruddy cooling to make it small, since it has 1280 SPU's (the exact spec of the 7870).

@ijustpwnedu96 i tried playing goldeneye 007 n64 not too long ago, not having done so since i was in 6th grade, and i couldnt hardly turn a corner much less aim :(
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Rich_ wrote: »
    for next-gen consoles they scrapped the idea of using apu's, at least in the PS4. Official announcments and specs given have it using basically an AMD 7870 GPU and 8350 CPU. People are gonna shit bricks when they see the price tags. But yes, the PS4 certainly could run the ever-demanding NS2 engine.
    My understanding is that it'll have a semi-custom designed APU likely based one of the A4-A10 chips. However, that involves a range of terrible APUs to moderately decent gaming performance ones. The devils in the details of which Sony has given us very little.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only thing confirmed seems to be that it's an 8-core Jaguar based APU. Jaguar is actually the low-power line of APUs which are gonna be sold as A4 and A6 I think. It's pretty clear the PS4 chip will have a better GPU though and AMD doesn't even currently sell any 8-core APUs.

It makes a lot of sense though. Sony aren't gonna release another console that eats up 250 watts and costs $700-800 to make. Of course that chip is gonna be ridiculously underpowered five years from now but nothing they can do about that really. For now it's gonna be quite good and the 8GB of GDDR5 is actually pretty awesome.
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like halo is an xbox only title... so shall NS2 be!!!!!!!!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    aYos wrote: »

YES!!!!! Er... no! :-?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I play NS2 with my xbox360 controller all the time and I do well.

Yeah, no, I don't believe you.

NS2 shouldn't be ported to xbox for reasons that @Squishpoke has already stated, and because we should definitely not support casualised gaming!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

NS2 shouldn't be ported to xbox for reasons that @Squishpoke has already stated, and because we should definitely not support casualised gaming!

How would WE support casualized gaming by a port of a very uncasual game to a platform that is predominantly casual? It would make the platform less casual in my book. Not that I care, just saying.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    NS2 would not be possible on the current gen consoles, no doubt about that, just look at the specs.

BUT! You can make a game called NS2:Origins, NS2:Reloaded or NS2:Xtreme Edition, that will have nothing to do with the original PC NS2, will feature vaguely similar artwork and will be centered about a lengthy single player campaign where you shoot dumb AI controlled aliens and enjoy many quick time events and breathtaking cinematics.

Just mash X to pwn!!!
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    However, NS2 on kinect would be AWESOME!

To attack as skulk, you would have to actually bite with your own teeth. Eat your lunch and play at the same time!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Kamamura wrote: »
    However, NS2 on kinect would be AWESOME!

To attack as skulk, you would have to actually bite with your own teeth. Eat your lunch and play at the same time!

Playing skulk on the kinect would look something like this I guess.

:D

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

How would WE support casualized gaming by a port of a very uncasual game to a platform that is predominantly casual? It would make the platform less casual in my book. Not that I care, just saying.

Because it would have to be made casual to work.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Akimoto wrote: »
    They managed to do it with "Aliens vs Predator" (2010), why not NS2? :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator_(video_game)
    Didnt that game bomb horribly?

I dont think xbox360 has the hardware to run ns2...

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited March 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I can't think of any console game with small, quick moving enemies which attack in melee. The game would probably need to be autoaim up the arse to keep up, in which case your screen will be flying around incomprehensibly without any input from the player.

That took a 10 seconds google search to find.

It's very possible and requires a good deal of input from the player.
    I would love to be able to play NS2 on Xbox 360 (Only with and against other people using Xbox 360).
    I believe it is doable, since the "biggest" challenge is to map the controls for the commander, which, honestly, should not be too difficult with some good structure placement upgrades (the current one is a bit buggy).

Onions?

Very doable. Add in a matchmaking system (custom for console games), some type of single-player and 6v6 listen servers. Maybe added support for this.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Ciro wrote: »

That took a 10 seconds google search to find.

It's very possible and requires a good deal of input from the player.
    All console FPS games have autoaim and/or aim assist, full stop.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I play NS2 with my xbox360 controller all the time and I do well. I often have the most points by the end of the game on both marines and aliens. On average I get about 30-6 KD on aliens.

How would I show you both the gameplay and controller? :/ Maybe I can get a camera to record me playing but Im pretty sure you wont be able to see my computer screen clearly.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »

How would I show you both the gameplay and controller? :/ Maybe I can get a camera to record me playing but Im pretty sure you wont be able to see my computer screen clearly.

You don't have to show a video, but if you do have a demo, just upload a demo. We'll be able to tell if it's a mouse or controller based on the movement patterns. If you do well in the demo, we'll rightfully congratulate you on such a feat. :P
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members

So...? I don't see the issue?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ciro wrote: »

So...? I don't see the issue?

NS2 won't have the option to give autoaim for controller users, so it will be significantly harder to land shots. I know I played some console games with the option to turn off autoaim, and I did it because I thought I was too elite for such things. Turns out I was wrong...
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    aYos wrote: »

YES!!!!! Er... no! :-?

Yeah I totally spaced that one (or two ;-) ) hah
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    I would love to be able to play NS2 on Xbox 360 (Only with and against other people using Xbox 360).
    I believe it is doable, since the "biggest" challenge is to map the controls for the commander, which, honestly, should not be too difficult with some good structure placement upgrades (the current one is a bit buggy).

Onions?

Yes, but I don't think Xbox360 could handle the fast paced actions and all the shooting, explosions, particles, infestations, power outages, spits, commanding, talking and everything else that the amazing game Ns2 has to offer, but on the contrary, I believe that Xbox One would be able to handle it, though of course, there's the fee of transferring every feature to consoles, and the hotfixes and the fact that Ps4 would get pissed that Xbox got this, even if no Ps4 players wanted the game, so it would probably be too expensive, it sucks, I know, but at least the game hasn't died yet, gotta look on the bright side :)
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    Rich_ wrote: »
    cant do skulk or fade on a controller.

Actually, you can probably do a Fade on a controller, but probably not a Skulk.