Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• McCheeseMcCheese Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172726Members
    just had a few fun games with lots of greens on both sides! its fun when you see rookies that arent terrible and follow orders!!
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    edited March 2013
    Skulks attacking with parasite, ground lerks crawling on the floor and biting, gorges attacking with babbler bait without building babblers, skulks running straight forward at you on the floor, onos hiding around corner of undefended marine base and running away when single marine spots them...

The horror, THE HORROR. :-O

(I am actually kinda enjoying playing with new players and showing them the ropes)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    WHEN you can get the greens to work together, it can be awesome. I do feel a little teensy bit dirty getting 72:5, but to be fair, I was genuinely helping the almost ENTIRELY green marines (apart from the comm and one guy who wasn't far out of green), and they were working together really well. I went around mopping up their backs and welding the exos most of the time (so many welder kills... lol!). The aliens were working togther well and had a comm who knew what he was doing, though I guess it was probably a bit frustrating for the guys I killed a fair bit (only one was whining about it out of 9 on their team, to be fair).

So: if you're helping people out and teaching the newbies, is it STILL wrong to kill the floor skulks or bite the rookie rines?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    When you're not helping greens, you're shooting both the NS2 community and your future servers community in the foot. Thanks for all the support people are giving :)
  • Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
    Jesus. This is great for the vets. Horrible experience for the noobs. Tried to teach/help while commin' but it's too much. Too many questions. ZERG'D BY NOOBS.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    So: if you're helping people out and teaching the newbies, is it STILL wrong to kill the floor skulks or bite the rookie rines?

No, it's not wrong to punish mistakes. This is Natural Selection. Those who can't adapt and learn from their mistakes (even after receiving advice) are not fit for survival.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Roobubba wrote: »

The previous free weekends I spent as much time teaching people and letting myself get killed by obviously inexperienced opponents as not. I don't see this one being any different.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    Played a few games but it was a huge mess, saw a lot of noob complaints. I don't feel like the accessibility is there unfortunately.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    edited March 2013
    idk how to exactly teach people to walk and build stuff... then they go commander in a full 12v12 server and don't do anything... then after teaching people how to eject him, the marines are 2 minutes behind. it's extremely annoying for marines bc they actually have to work with the commander. more interaction than the aliens have with their kham... what do we do? just had 3 games of marines losing... even yelling doesn't work lol.. being nice or mad doesn't do shit....
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    i crashed five times while playing two maps :O

ofc i lost my life form and weapons+welder trough this...
    also the other team was reporting a lot of crashes.

so 242, go home! i dont like you :(((!!
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    btw, that video... is that jackass from mtv?
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited March 2013
    Love the idea, hate the fact all the servers are now full of rookie noobs.

They all go on marines because they are too scared to go on aliens and because marines are my favourite team, my now mostly populated rookie teams are losing left right and centre.

I will be giving the game a break for a week to allow this need breed of noobs to learn the game.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Great news! I was wondering where all the green names are coming from. I will tell my remaining friend!
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    be prepared for trolls who are willing to use different steam IDs... seen it... player joined 3 times after being banned for racism and trolling.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    @depara :
    I see your point, but in the end you should just hang on and get used to those occasional weekends where a huge amount of new players try to get familiar with the game.

After this weekend we will hopefully have lots of people who are willing fo stay, pay and especially learn to adapt.

A server name calling 'expeienced players only will be overread by lots, if not most new players.
    While vets figure out their favorite servers after some time, a new player will just be glad to jump into the action asap.
    Another game -killing floor- even has the option to sort servers after difficulty and still there is that occasinal level 0 player on hell on earth difficulty, even though there is a noticable death skull in the browser list.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Heyman wrote: »

Any good stock options for tomorrow?

Too late. Already made the money.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Great news! I was wondering where all the green names are coming from. I will tell my remaining friend!

Ow... Dude, stop playing so much NS2 before your one remaining friend will be jolly well fed up with your addiction!
    :-t
    edited March 2013
    If you are planning to do these free weekends on a regular basis you really need to funnel the new rookies into servers of their own.

With the new in game training videos, they should pick up the game fast enough without the need for anyone to hold their hands.

On that note, rookie servers should only allow rookies into them because i know of a good few experienced players who like to go into rookie servers just for the cheap gratification of easily slaughtering them.

For a game as complex as NS2 (compared to the majority of dumbed down FPS games), an intelligent game that requires excellent team work to win, there really needs to be a separation of rookies and experienced players as rookies ruin the experience for us veterans.

I will not continue to play the game if it means i have to play with rookies the majority of the time.

It's bad enough having to put up with inexperienced / commandless / voiceless commanders that can no longer be ejected due to the recent increase of vote threshold to unrealistic levels but throwing in lots of new rookies with regular players just for the sake of populating the existing servers and increasing sales is a step too far for me.

I agree that there needs to be more players as a the majority of servers are always empty but at least do it in a controlled and balanced manner.

I purchased 8 copies of this game for me and my friends to enjoy, i would like to continue to enjoy this game but it's quickly going down hill in my opinion.

I rage quit the game for the first time last night as every marine game i played was full of disorganised rookies who wouldn't listen to any orders / advice, it was infuriating.

One game had 5 commanders in a space of 15 minutes, the whole night was a complete farce.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Why don't you just join a server that advertises vets only? There's a bunch of them.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    All i see is land torpedos, as far as the eye can see.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @DarkflameQ that's really very short-sighted of you. You were green once, too, remember. Putting all the greens on their own and leaving them to fester will almost certainly result in most of them leaving dissatisfied at the game. Let's face it, without us more experienced types commanding/field comming to help them out, it's going to be a bloody mess.

I had a couple of amazing games with almost all rookies yesterday and today: getting people to work together, use their mics and cover each other is fantastic fun. There are games of utter, debilitating frustration, of course: where the entire teams fails to do anything together in the slightest. Sometimes you just have to walk away from those players. You'll find the ones that listen, learn and cooperate; where they do, the less cooperative ones on your team will likely also have a better time and maybe dig out their microphones for the next game. I've already seen this first-hand. One more mic user. Yay!

Quite how you think UWE should get new players 'in a controlled and balanced manner' is beyond me.
    "No, no, don't all play at once, please some of you play and some of you wait for a couple of weeks!" ???
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think 15k players is going to be a long-shot, but I hope they at least manage to break the current peak of 7k. This game deserves more attention and a bigger community overall.
    edited March 2013
    @Roobubba

I learned on my own without anyone helping me and if i was starting from scratch i would of happily of played with people on the same level as me as in the first few evenings i got frustrated being easily killed by the experienced players because i wasn't aware of the rookie friendly servers.

I don't see how you think rookies playing rookies would be a bad thing, it's actually a more balanced approach for both rookies (and pro's), i'm pretty sure pro's were annoyed with my performance during my first games too.

There is a bunch of training tuts in the game for people to watch (which i did) and now they even have the quick tip videos that play during spawning to help learn the game faster (something i didn't personally have when i was learning the game months ago).

So answering your question, no i don't believe my suggestion is short sighted at all.

I continue to play games to enjoy myself by taking on and hopefully besting well matched opponents, i take no pleasure in killing or holding the hands of the inexperienced, i don't pay good money for that sort of experience.

I would host a server myself and limit it to only non rookie players if a) it was possible and b) full Linux hosting support is available.

I refuse to pay the premium for Windows servers.

Don't get me wrong i love this game, i respect the developer, i just don't like the recent changes.

Apart from the ridiculously long caching of maps on their first initial run, i didn't really have anything against the game (in fact i've always highly praised it as a perfect example of modern FPS gaming)

Then the Gorgeous update rolled out which introduced what i think to be unnecessary higher voting threshold for ejecting commanders (9/10 votes now fail by the way, they always lack 1 to 2 votes), seriously if half the team feel the need to vote to eject a commander, surely that's good enough? It was before, i'm highly annoyed it was upped to 75%.

All that happens now is on average 60% of the team vote to eject revealing their names, the console reveals the failed Coup d'état to the commander, who then proceeds to act out / get all childish towards the people who voted because he now feels rejected and still has a great deal of power to ruin the game further.

The new threshold is good on paper, bad in practice.

Hell, i'm pretty sure there isn't even a spawn video tip to show people how to vote, i'm not certain though as i turned them off after an hour of the same one repeating over and over.

The spawn video tips (which whilst excellent), i promptly turned off due to them being repetitive thus annoying.

Neat idea, poor execution, the videos should only play once for non rookie players as non rookies pretty much know all the tips, having to go into options to find out where to turn them off was the first real annoyance NS2 gave me.

The long caching times for maps every time there is a game update is also annoying but i can live with that because at least the existing maps get tweaked often to keep them fresh.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Xarius wrote: »
    I think 15k players is going to be a long-shot, but I hope they at least manage to break the current peak of 7k. This game deserves more attention and a bigger community overall.

It ain't the "real" weekend yet, so I wouldn't call it 7k yet!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=4920

5K already, and prime time is yet to come. It should easily break 7K.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Xarius wrote: »

Hm I guess it remains to be seen. But there are almost no barriers keeping people from playing. Well I kinda hope the boost is huge and works because pre free weekend a lot of people outside of the U.S were having trouble finding games and blah blah blah.
    NS2 is currently beating Planetside 2 in concurrent players, with no signs of stopping. Gonna B gud

But Holy Corn Flakes, look at Dota 2! I can't believe 200,000 people play that crap game DAILY. It even beats TF2 now. I'm just amazed. Who are these people?
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Holy Corn Flakes, look at Dota 2! Who are these people?

Valve's new ATM.