State of the Game: March 2013 - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This is an injustice that many are blind to, but the patriarchy hurts EVERYONE - not just men!

Methinks you meant women.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    You should sell female marines as DLC :P

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Xarius wrote: »
    You should sell female marines as DLC :P

Pay up female players. The patriarchy always wins.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    it just never really made sense to devote a lot of these resources to create a female marine model. It would have meant a tradeoff of adding new features that added to the game depth, versus adding what was essentially just a cosmetic addition.

im glad ya'll managed to find time to develop the male marine model instead. devoting time to females never really made any sense to me, either.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't wait to hear the fem taunts.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I can't wait to hear the fem taunts.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Oh dear, I just lost my appetite.

• Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    i bet when the females talk they will sound either girly, or husky and very sexual, and when they get hurt or die they will moan in a mixture of pleasure/pain just like in real life http://womeninpainingames.tumblr.com/
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh no, I'm getting flashbacks to UT taunts now...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    i bet when the females talk they will sound either girly, or husky and very sexual, and when they get hurt or die they will moan in a mixture of pleasure/pain just like in real life http://womeninpainingames.tumblr.com/

I wouldn't worry about that, they're good people.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yet men always sounding ultra macho or overly confident isn't something that concerns you, right? Hmmm....
    I really think you are just impossible to please and easily offended given your responses thus far.

To others concerned though : UWE won't do the stereo typical thing every video game does. I know because I've heard Hugh go on about it passionately (despite the current model being very appropriate imo) and we've walked around the pax floor making fun of the lack of neutrality and unrealistic armor every single game uses.

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    smug lobster is just trolling you guys... Havn't seen her post in ages o.0.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Troll or not, it was a fair point and it's been adequately answered (thanks devs). Let's move on with dignity. :)
  • StephSteph Join Date: 2005-02-10 Member: 40617Members, Constellation
    I know the description on the last picture of this article is a joke, but I've often fantasised about a three race/team version of a game like ns! It would surely be a nightmare/impossible to balance if it kept it's asymmetry but could so completely awesome!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    elodea wrote: »
    smug lobster is just trolling you guys... Havn't seen her post in ages o.0.
    Best part is smug agreeing with this post :)
    Steph wrote: »
    I know the description on the last picture of this article is a joke, but I've often fantasised about a three race/team version of a game like ns! It would surely be a nightmare/impossible to balance if it kept it's asymmetry but could so completely awesome!
    Space orcs! Do it nao!
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members

"Squeal, boy! Squeal!" :)

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Why can't I play as a female marine yet? Why are men always the default, whilst womyn are placed on the backburner. This is an injustice that many are blind to, but the patriarchy hurts EVERYONE - not just men!
    Male and female versions of the marines were planned for 1.0 of NS2, and we actually started with the female model, not the male. However, when working on the male marine model, we decided a large armor design revision was necessary, so the male model went through those revisions. Between the revisions and the much higher quality level of the male marine, the female marine just was not able to be used anymore.

Given our very tight resources, of both time and money on most of the development of NS2, it just never really made sense to devote a lot of these resources to create a female marine model, and all the time consuming animations that would go along with it. It would have meant a tradeoff of adding new features that added to the game depth, versus adding what was essentially just a cosmetic addition.

That is not to say that we don't think representing females in NS2 is not extremely important, but we wanted to wait until we had both the time and resources to add them, and do it properly. We are at that point, and have actually started development on female marines. It is going to be months of work, but we are hoping our next large content update will include them.

--Cory
    Can we see the Female Marine model as it was when you ceased working on it?
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Paragon wrote: »

"Squeal, boy! Squeal!" :)
    Appropriate for the Gorge
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited March 2013
    Can we see the Female Marine model as it was when you ceased working on it?

I would like to see it as well. The only time I saw an appearance was in this video @ 2:25

Even then the quality is 360p and in a dark location.

• VolomonVolomon Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19406Members
    1.jpg

military.com/video/forces/special-operations-forces/female-special-operators-south-korea/1708135642001/

Korean Special Forces, ROK, are the best that I know of who integrate Korean Females. I hope that one day every nation integrates females equally. There are a lot of nations that do it, but do it by placing them in a protective role.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    @ Volomon: I hope that one day every nation reduces their armed forces to a minimum. And I CERTAINLY don't want my wife to be one of them!
    Your wife's hot, bro